- Text Size +

                                    Chapter 10

 

 

March 19th 2008

 

I know it’s been a couple of days since I’ve written but things are busy.  I’m home, fuck is it good to be home.  I’m chillin on the couch right now, waiting for Eric to call me back and confirm my rehearsal dates.  MY rehearsal dates. Makes me smile.  I think things are going well with Chelsea, I haven’t talked to her or Kevin since I left Mexico.  Kevin said he would call when he found out when she could go home, well to Kentucky and the Richardson’s.  Her home was gone, almost everything she knew is gone.  Even what she knew of me. Now that I’ve had time to sit and think, I’m starting to think maybe I shouldn’t have promised her so much.  I’m 30 ready to start a long life with a family, if I can find one, and Chels, she’s trying to find a life.  I’m starting to think it’s not fare to her; I don’t want her to feel like she has too.  Can she really find herself if I’m there reminding her of the past.  And you know it really isn’t fare for me, waiting and wondering what my future would be. Like I said, I’m 30 ready to move into a whole new direction with my life.  But then I think of all the girls I’ve been with, I think of all the times I fucked up and why and it makes me miss her even yern for her, she always understood me.  Before when that would happen, it went away as fast as it entered as a thought but now, now she was alive and it was a possibility to give it another shot.  Ugh, I just keep going around in fucking circles over this.

 

The phone rang and AJ dropped his journal and pen on the coffee table and grabbed his cordless phone.  He looked at the number and saw it was Anne’s house.  He put the phone to his ear as he pressed the speak button.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Alex?” A soft voice said on the other side.

 

“Chels?” AJ said a little shocked.

 

“Yeah” She replied.

 

“Your back in Kentucky.” He said a little relived.

 

“Yes”

 

“Good good.” AJ said as he sat up, fixing his jeans.  “How are you doing?”

 

“A little better now that I’m out of Mexico.” She said as AJ sat back. 

 

“How’s Anne?” AJ asked.

 

“She’s calmed down now.” Chelsea said and he could hear her smile.  “But she won’t let me out of her site.”  AJ laughed at the comment.  He was glad to hear her joking a little and he did notice she sounded less tense.  There was a long awkward silence before Chelsea spoke again.  “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Of course darlin’” AJ said.  He waited for a reply but all he heard was her taking a breath.  “Chels?” AJ said calmly.

 

“They want me to go see my Mom.” Chelsea finally spoke.

 

“Oh” AJ said not realizing why she took so long.  “Do you want too? Do you think you’re ready?”

 

“I dunno, I mean yeah I think so, I want too but..” She stopped and he waited for her to finish.

 

“But?” AJ asked.

 

“I’m scared” She said quietly.

 

“Why?” AJ asked with a frown.

 

“What if I go there and it’s too much and I have an episode right there.” Chelsea said and he heard her voice crack a little.  “Will you come out here?”

 

“Me?”

 

“Yeah, I’d feel better if you were there with me.” Chelsea said.  “If, if you’re too busy though.” She said quickly.

 

“No, no.” AJ said as he looked at his set list.  “I have time, just let me clear up some loose ends today and I’ll fly out in the morning.”

 

“Really?” She said and he heard the relief in her voice.

 

“Yeah” AJ said with a smile. 

 

AJ sat on his couch talking on the phone with Chelsea for an hour; they mostly talked about what he was doing, his shows coming up on the weekend and his dogs Bernie and Ozzy.  They hung up when she had to go for dinner and he even heard the excitement in her voice over a home cooked meal.

 

As he stood up to get himself another cup of coffee, the phone rang again.  With a sigh he walked back over to the coffee table and picked up the phone, and answered it. 

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey Alex, its Eric.” Said the voice on the other end.

 

“Hey man, how does it look?” He asked as he returned his attention back to a fresh cup of coffee.

 

March 20th 2008

 

            I am on my way to see Chelsea.  She called yesterday asking me to come out because Kevin and his mom were taking her to see her Mothers grave site.  I couldn’t say no, I know how close they were and I know she’s going to take it hard.  Kevin still hasn’t told her why, just that her mom got sick.  I dunno what Chelsea would do if she found out her mom committed suicide because of what had happened.  Thinking your daughter was dead, thinking it was your fault, blaming yourself.

 

“What are you doing?” Kevin asked AJ as he quickly took his eyes off the road and looked at him sitting in the passenger seat.

 

“Just writing.” AJ said as he closed his journal.

 

“Told ya it was a good idea to get that thing.” Kevin said as he turned the car down a long Kentucky dirt road.

 

“You didn’t tell me too my Doctor did.” AJ said rolling his eyes.

 

“Well I agreed.” Kevin said with a light smile.  AJ chuckled as he looked out the window, it had been a long time since he had come out here, and an even longer time since he came out here to see Chelsea.

 

“So, how’s she doing?” AJ asked.

 

“She’s quiet.” Kevin said with a light sigh.  “She’ll talk to Mom, but I think she’s forcing herself too, so Mom doesn’t worry.” He said as he pulled into the long driveway.

 

“Any more episodes?

 

“Yeah.” Kevin said sadly.  “She had two on the drive home, we gave her the entire back seat hoping it would be enough but every time she fell asleep and woke up she’d freak out and we’d have to pull over.”  They got out of the car and AJ grabbed his small bag from the back of the car.  He closed the door and walked over to the front, meeting up with Kevin.  “She had one last night too; I got up helped her calm down, then mom sat up with her.” 

 

They walked up the porch steps and Kevin opened the screen door, the hinges creeked as he pulled the door. AJ reached up and grabbed the first door as Kevin opened the second wooden door.  He walked into the large open living room; it was dark at first as his reached up and took off his sun glasses.  Blinking he let his eyes adjust and then looked around the room.  The room was empty but the tv was on.

 

“I don’t wanna shout and scare her.” Kevin said as he turned to look back at AJ.  “Just put your bag down and make yourself comfortable.”

 

“K” AJ said with a nod.

 

AJ walked over to the couch and set his bag down in front of it as he sat down.  He looked around the room and noticed Anne had redecorated since the last time he was here.  The swinging door to the kitchen swung open and AJ looked over as Anne, Kevin and Chelsea came out of the kitchen.

 

“Good to see you again Alex.” Anne said with a smile as she hugged him.

 

“Good to see you too.” AJ said smiling.

 

“Kevin why don’t you get me that pot and then show Alex to his room.” Anne said as she turned around.

 

“Oh, well, I can stay in a hotel.”

 

“Don’t make her mad.” Kevin said as he headed towards the kitchen door.  “I’ll be right back.” AJ laughed and lightly shook his head as Kevin disappeared into the kitchen.

 

“Did you have a good flight?” Chelsea asked as they stood in the living room.

 

“Yeah wasn’t bad, short flights are always good.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“Thanks for coming; I know you’re really busy.” Chelsea said as she lightly smiled at him and he felt his heart flutter.

 

“It’s no problem; I told you I would be here if you needed me.”

 

Chelsea walked over to the couch and sat down.  “Kevin has some lock on the tv so I don’t turn on the news and see something that will set me off.  I gotta say, cartoons now, suck.”  AJ started laughing as he shook his head.

 

“You haven’t seen the right ones.” He said as he took the remote from her.  He flipped to a channel and the screen was black.

 

“See it’s locked.” Chelsea said.

 

“One sec.” AJ said as he punched in some numbers.  When he hit enter the screen flickered and a cartoon popped up.

 

“How did you know?” She asked him.

 

“It’s Kev.” AJ shrugged.  “He can’t change his passwords that often or he forgets them.”  Chelsea smiled as she looked at the tv.

 

“So what’s this?”

 

“South Park.”  AJ said with a smile.  “And the Simpsons are still around.”

 

“Really?” Chelsea said shocked.  “Thank god.”

 

“Yeah.” AJ said with a nod.

 

“Eh, screw you guys I’m goin home.” Cartman shouted at his friends.

 

“See ya fat ass.” Kyle said and the other characters cracked up laughing as AJ and Chelsea started laughing.

 

“Shut up Kyle, don’t make meh sing the song.” Cartman said with a laugh

 

“Shut up fat ass!” Kyle yelled back.  As Cartman began to sing the Kyle’s Mom is a Big Fat Bitch song and Chelsea and AJ started laughing harder, Kevin came out of the kitchen.  They both looked up at him as he stared at the tv, there laughter calming as they saw the look on his face.

 

“Really Alex South Park?” Kevin said looking at him.