- Text Size +

                                    Chapter 18

 

 

Everything was calm, everything was silent, and AJ wondered if he was sleeping.  Then as the sensation of something cold splashed his face, his eyes shot open and he gasped for air when he was violently woken by ice cold water.  He tried to stand but something was holding him down, like in the house.  As he remembered the events that had happened he looked around and saw a man standing in front of him.

 

“So, we finally meet.” The man said.  “Well you finally meet me, I should say.” He smiled.  As AJ looked Chelsea’s Dad in the eye all the anger he felt, all the revenge he wanted to put out because of what happened rushed through him.  “I was hoping on retrieving my daughter, naughty little thing running away from home like that.”

 

“Fuck you douche bag!” AJ yelled at him.

 

“I hope you don’t use that kind of language around my daughter.” Robson said with a frown.

 

“She’s not your daughter.” AJ gritted through his teeth.

 

“Probably not, her mother was a whore.” The man sighed.  “Pity, what happened.  I thought about telling Chelsea when I found out what Liza did but I dunno, just never got around to it.”  AJ didn’t say anything as he tried to pull on the plastic straps around his wrists.  “Like I was sayin’ I was hoping for my daughter but you were the only one home it seems.”

 

“Lucky me.” AJ huffed.

 

“Well, I figured it a loss until about half way here, then I started to think about how much pain and suffering it would cause Chelsea if I just killed you.” He said with a shrug.  “And I really gotta say killing AJ Mclean looks a lot better on the resume than killing Chelsea Stanely.”  AJ looked at him and it didn’t even appear as a thought that the man was joking, he knew he wasn’t.

 

He wasn’t sure how long he was out so he wasn’t sure how far away from Kevin’s they were and he wasn’t sure which way they had gone.  He started to feel panicky but he tried his best not to show it. 

 

“All this time she dreamed about getting you back, laid in that room and cried her little heart out almost every night for you.  You didn’t care though did you, having a grand ol’ time partying it up.”

 

“I didn’t know she was alive.”  AJ snapped.

 

“No, no you didn’t, too bad too the things I’ve heard, things I’ve read, you would of just ended up ripping her heart out.” The man sighed as he stood up.  “Hell, I should have just left her alone, you would of done enough damage to make me more than happy.”

 

“You fucking son of a bitch!” AJ yelled as he started to hop around in the chair.  Robson laughed as he walked over to a chair and grabbed his jacket that was hanging over the back of it.  Chelsea’s dad continued to laugh as he walked out the front door.

 

“Fuck!” AJ shouted as he jumped in the chair, the restraints holding him down. “Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!!” He screamed and then started crying as he felt helpless and scared.

 

 

 

 

 

Chelsea laid on the couch stretched out, the small throw pillow tucked under her head, she stared at the TV.  Cartman and Kyle yelled back and forth at each other but she couldn’t hear what they were saying because of all the people coming in and out of the house, all the people talking on their cell phones, and the helicopters as they flew over the house.

 

She looked up when she heard the kitchen door open and saw Brian walk out.  He was on his cell phone and he walked outside completely engulfed in his conversation.  Brian and Anne were the only ones there besides all the cops.  Leigh-Anne and Baylee were at Brian’s mom’s right now and Kevin was out looking. She wanted to go but Kevin wouldn’t let her, he said he didn’t need to be worrying about her too. 

 

The adult cartoon went to commercial and Chelsea slowly sat up.  She felt like she was in a daze, she felt tired and unmotivated.  When a bunch of Police came out of the room Chelsea frown and put her hands over her ears.  All the noise was starting to get to her, the people coming and going, she was getting use to the two or three that were at Kevin’s but this many was too much. 

 

Standing up she walked to the front door and looked out the window, there were Sheriffs and FBI men scattered on the porch and front lawn.  She turned around and looked at the kitchen door and sighed knowing she wouldn’t find her solace there.  Quickly she made her way over to the staircase and walked up to the second floor.  Things were better up here, the chatter of everyone down stairs muffled, and she took a deep breath as she walked down the hall. 

 

When she approached her door she reached out for the doorknob but stopped and looked over at the door beside her room, AJ’s room.  She frowned as she thought about him, what he was going through, and then her mind went to the worse.  What if he wasn’t ok, what if her Dad had already done something.  Closing her eyes she pushed the thoughts back and pushed her tears back. 

 

She wanted him there, wanted him to hold her and tell her everything would be ok, that they were both safe.  Slowly she walked over to his door and opened it.  The room of course was empty, his bag lying on his bed, and his clothes from yesterday laid on the floor.  Walking into the room she closed the door behind her and walked over to the bed.  She sat down on the edge and gently touched his black back pack. 

 

Chelsea looked around the room, the empty quiet room.  She could still smell his cologne but with the small hint of cigarettes.  Her emotions had had enough of being pushed away and she covered her mouth quickly as she broke down.  She fought to stop her tears but they just kept coming and soon she gave up the fight.  When she heard the bedroom door open she looked but her heart sank when she saw Kevin standing there.  She looked away still crying as he closed the door and walked over to her.  He didn’t say anything as he sat down on the edge of the bed and wrapped her in a hug.

 

“They found an ATV trail about a mile from the house, leads to Campbell Creek Road were they found what they think are tire tracks to a truck.”  Kevin said as she continued to cry in his arms.  The tracks look like he was headed towards Jackson but he could of turned back around and went to Stanley or..”

 

“Or anywhere” Chelsea said as she slowly pulled away.

 

“They really believe he’s still some where around, he doesn’t have that much of a lead on them.” Kevin reassured her.  “Denise is here.” Kevin said after a moment.  Chelsea’s head snapped up and she started to panic.  “Do you want too..”

 

“No” Chelsea said quickly.  “No no, I can’t.”

 

“Chelsea she doesn’t blame you.” Kevin told her.

 

“She should.” Chelsea snapped quickly.  “Cause I do”

 

“Chels.” Kevin said sadly.

 

“I knew he would do something like this and I should have listened to Dr. Coupe and gone to Chicago, then he wouldn’t of had a reason to come here and Alex would be ok cause he would be in California.” Chelsea said as she started crying again.  She pulled away and laid down on the pillows.  As she lied there with her eyes closed, she laid there motionless, clearing her mind, and calming her tears.

 

“The police and that won’t be here much longer, they’ve set up a new base on Campbell. They have a couple of abandon houses they’re searching over there.” Kevin said as he got up.  “Denise and I are going there after dinner, will you be coming down?”

 

Chelsea opened her eyes and thought about answering but she didn’t and closed her eyes blocking everything out.  Her eyes opened again when she heard the bedroom door click close.  His smell was even more intense now as she laid on his pillow but this time there were no tears, just thoughts.  Thoughts on how she was going to lie here until everyone went to bed and then she was taking a car and heading to Campbell road.  She just hoped driving a car was like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget.

 

 

 

 

 

“Chels?” AJ said as he slowly began to wake.  He raised his head and opened his eyes wider.

 

“Nope, but close.” Chelsea’s father said as he stood in front of AJ.  Before he could say anything Robson cuffed his hand over AJ’s mouth and then began to wrap duck tape around his face, over his mouth.  “Sorry for this but we might be having visitors soon and don’t want you getting mouthy at the wrong time.”

 

AJ muffled through the tape as he stretched across his mouth and goatee.  He wondered who the visitors were, did they fine him? Are they close? He then stopped everything, stopped his movement, stopped his breathing, stopped his thinking and listened for any sign of a noise.  He could hear nothing but the humming of the small heater.

 

“Now” Robson said as he walked over to the corner of the room.  He bent down and picked something up and turned back towards AJ.  His eyes went wide when he saw the long metal barrel in his hand, the wooden stock snapped down as Chelsea’s dad loaded the shotgun.  “I need to make some rounds, don’t be a smart ass and do something Chelsea will regret.”

 

AJ sat there staring at the man as he walked out of the cottage.  Quickly he looked around the room, for something, anything that would get his hands or feet free.  He twisted his body seeing if there was anything behind him he could use and then that’s when he felt it, something tapping against his hand every time he leaned back in the chair.  Turning the other way he still couldn’t get a good look at it but he leaned back and then pulled on his wrist restraints.  He realized the wooden chair spoke his wrists were tied to was broken and he began to wiggle his hands trying to slid then down.

 

He leaned back further against the chair, pushing and pulling, twisting and turning his hands and wrists as he tried to hood the piece of restraint under the chair spoke.  But it was just a little bit too long and he couldn’t lower his arms or shoulders enough to unhook it.  In frustration he growled, he was so close yet so far.

 

The door swung open and he froze and quickly looked up as Chelsea’s Dad slammed it shut.  He sat very still as the man angrily walked over to another side of the house and into a back room.  AJ could hear a rustling sound, a slamming sound, and then Robson burst out of the room, taking off out of the house.

 

AJ exhaled only through his nose, his mouth blocked by the tape.  He sighed and closed his eyes in relief her Dad didn’t clue in to anything.  Something must be going on outside but he still couldn’t hear anything.  Then again maybe there wasn’t and he was freaking out.  Which didn’t make AJ feel any better, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out people can do anything when their like that.

 

Looking around again AJ tried to figure out a way to break the chair.  He needed to get out of hear while Robson was distracted but he needed to do it before he came back in.  He wiggled the chair hoping the momentum would bend and snap the wooden legs.  The legs weakened but it wasn’t working fast enough.  Quickly looking around again AJ looked over to the doorway to the backroom, Chelsea’s Dad left the door open. Carefully and as slowly yet as quickly as he could he hopped his way over to it.  Turning around so the back of the chair was facing the doorway, he twisted his body and lined up the legs as best he could like a golf swing.

 

But then something grabbed his arm and his whole body went stiff, in one second thoughts of Robson catching him now went through his head.  Then he felt the plastic restraints snap off his wrist.  Quickly he turned around, the legs of the chair catching on the archway and sending him down to the floor.  With his wrists free he was able to bring his arms up and stop most of his body from crashing to the ground.  His legs still tied up in the chair, he lied there a moment a little disoriented.  He then felt someone tugging on his legs and he tired to roll over but he couldn’t get around the chair. 

 

Another crashing noise made him jump and then he heard two people shout.  He could hear thumping of foot steps and he rolled around on the floor until he could see what was going on behind him.  His eyes went wide and he went into full panic mode when he saw Chelsea struggling with her Dad.

 

Realizing his arms were free he pushed himself up quickly and reached around the chair untying his legs.  As he stood up he watched as Chelsea was sent flying into the bookshelf.  AJ ran at the shelf as he tipped forward but was stopped Robson’s arm across his chest.  The wind was knocked out of him and he fell to the ground gasping for air.  He felt Robson pick him up from the back of his shirt and there was nothing AJ could do, his mind and body using all its energy to get him breathing again.

 

A loud banging sound went off, for a split second AJ thought it sounded like a fire cracker, and then him and Robson went tumbling to the ground.  When he hit the ground his breath returned to him and he tried to get up as more thumping of feet were heard.

 

“Chelsea.” AJ gasped out as he tried to roll over.

 

“Stay down Mr. Mclean.” A man said as he gently pushed on AJ’s shoulder.  He looked up at him, at the man over top of him as he looked to his right.  AJ looked down following his gaze and saw two men pulling the bookshelf up.  Chelsea laid motionless underneath it.

 

“Chels” AJ gasped out as he sat up quickly but then fell back again as his head started to get woozy. 

 

“What was she doing here?” AJ heard the man say but his voice was becoming muffled.

 

“Chelsea?” AJ whispered as the image of a paramedic over him went blurry and then disappeared.