- Text Size +

                                    Chapter 7

 

AJ looked over at the door when he heard someone walk in.  He looked at Kevin and the woman that was in the room with Chelsea.  Quickly wiping his eyes he stepped away from the window a little bit.

 

“Alex this is Doctor Coupe, she’s with the FBI.” Kevin said as AJ looked at her.

 

“Hi Alex, nice to meet you.” She said as she reached out to shake his hand.  AJ smiled as took her hand and shook it.  “Shall we sit?”  She asked motioning to the chairs.  AJ looked back at the window, looked at Chelsea sitting in her chair at the table.

 

“She’ll be ok.” The Doctor said and he looked at her.  Even if she was a doctor he had to question that.  He sat down in the chair looking at Kevin and then looked back to the Doctor

 

“Kevin tells me you were dating Chelsea when she disappeared?” She asked.

 

“Yes.” AJ said with a nod.

 

“Did she talk to you about her Father at all?” The Doctor asked as she wrote in her book.

 

“Not a lot but she told me what happened.” AJ told her.  His body was going numb, his head was spinning, it was a lot to take in.  He looked over at the window again and saw two men helping Chelsea walk out of the room. 

 

“Where are they taking her?” AJ asked as he sat up a little.

 

“Its ok man they’re just moving her too a room where she’ll be more comfortable.” Kevin said as he took AJ’s arm.

 

“I know it’s very overwhelming, believing she has been dead for so long and now seeing her here.”  Dr. Coupe said as AJ looked at her.  “I just need to ask you a couple of more questions.”  She said as AJ sat back in his chair.

 

“Have you ever met or seen her Father?”  She asked him.

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head.  “I have no idea what he looks like.”

 

“I see” She said with a light nod as she wrote in her book again.  Her tone made AJ look at Kevin who just shrugged at him.  “She won’t talk to me, she won’t tell me what happened, by some of the evidence in the room and around the house we have a good idea of what happened, but we would still like a statement from her.”

 

“Then wait till she’s ready.” AJ said with a shrug.

 

“We think she will talk to you or Kevin but he feels it would best if you talked to her.” The Doctor told him.  “She’s been asking for you, she says she saw you with her dad.”

 

“What?” AJ said confused.  “That’s impossible.”

 

“Did anyone strange come up to you?” She asked and both AJ and Kevin looked at the lady like she was mad. 

 

“We have strange people come up to us all the time.” Kevin said as AJ nodded.

 

“But I’m sure you don’t get to many men in their late 60’s” The Doctor said to him.

 

“Well no.” AJ said shaking his head and then it hit him.  His face fell and went a pale white.  “Oh fuck.”

 

“What?” Kevin asked him.

 

“A couple of days ago in Monterrey, I was outside the hotel having a smoke and this dude came up to me, asked for a picture for his daughter.” AJ said remembering back.  “He took it with a camera phone I think.”

 

“Is this him?” She asked as she slid a picture over too him.  The man looked a little younger and the guy he remembered had a beard.  “I think, maybe a little older and with a beard.”

 

“Ok” She said with a nod writing in her book again.

 

AJ sat there looking at the Doctor as she wrote in her book.  He was becoming restless now.  His mind on Chelsea, for years he missed her, yearned for her, thinking he’d never see her again, knowing she was gone forever.  Now there were people telling him it wasn’t true, she was alive, and he saw her with his own eyes.

 

“Can I see her now?” AJ asked breaking the silence.

 

“Yes, just let me make sure she is settled in.”  Doctor Coupe said as she collected her things and left the room.

 

“What. The. Fuck. Is. Going. On.” AJ said as he looked at Kevin.

 

“I know man it’s a lot to take in.”  Kevin said as he rubbed his eyes.  “I still have to tell Mom.”

 

“Tell me this isn’t a dream Kevin.” AJ said as he looked up at him.  “Tell me I’m not going to wake up holding my fucking pillow again.”

 

Kevin looked at him almost with a little pity and then a small smile came across his face.  “You’re not dreaming. This is very real.”

 

AJ took a deep breath and it all started coming out again.  The tears started flowing as he put his head down on the table.  He tried to get his emotions under control but it was hard, he was going through all kinds of stuff right now, so many questions.

 

“What do I do when we see her?” AJ asked as he wiped his face on his sleeve.

 

“I’m not sure; I don’t know how she’s going to react.  Like I said when she saw me in the hospital it was by accident and she freaked out, fighting to get to me.”  Kevin said choking up a little as he remembered.  The door behind them opened and both guys sat up straight and looked at it with great interest, the Doctor poked her head in.

 

“Come with me.” She said with a light smile.  AJ looked at Kevin as they sat in their chairs.

 

“If you can’t do it and you need more time.” Kevin said to him.

 

“No, no.” AJ said shaking his head.  “I’m ok, besides not about me right now.”

 

Kevin lightly smiled at him as they stood up and walked over to the doctor.  They walked out of the room and waited in the hallway as Doctor Coupe closed the door.  She reached her arm out and led them down the hall.

 

AJ’s throat felt like it was closing up on him.  His mouth was dry and he could barely swallow.  He wondered how much of it was real and not him freaking out because of the situation.  When they stopped outside of two doors, he started to feel light headed and wondered if he should sit down.

 

“Are you sure I should go, I mean she’d probably talk to you too.” AJ said as he looked at Kevin.  “I mean you’re her family.”

 

“It’s alright man; Dr. Coupe said she was asking for you anyways because of that picture” Kevin told him as he put his hand on his shoulder.

 

“Kevin and I will be in that room, we need to record what she’s saying, we’ll be watching.  Just take the contact a little slow.” She said to him with a light smile.

 

“Ok.” AJ said with a nervous sigh.

 

He watched as Kevin and the Doctor walked into the other room and then looked at the one in front of him.  He still couldn’t grasp the fact she was on the other side, all he had to do was open the door but he couldn’t.  His heart raced, his breath was almost non existent; his hands were sweaty and shaky.  He closed his eyes and pulled himself together, took a deep breath and then opened the door.

 

A small sharp pain rushed through his chest and it made him gasp a little but she didn’t hear him.  She sat there on the bed looking down at her blanket.  His eyes began to water and he wiped them quickly and pushed the tears back.  He tried to say her name but nothing came out.  Taking another deep breath he got control again.  Turning around AJ closed the door and looked at her as it clicked closed, she didn’t even flinch.

 

“Chels?” AJ said as he began picking at his nails.  He watched as her head slowly came up, her eyes met his and she started to cry.  AJ walked over to her bedside, he wasn’t sure what to do.  Should he stand or sit, he wiped his hands on his pants and sat down.  “Chels?” She looked up at him and their eyes met again.  “Oh god it’s really you.” He blurted out and was surprised to see her lightly nod.

 

Not sure if he should he hesitated when he reached for her hands but only for a moment and he stared at them as he held them, felt them. Slowly he felt her fingers wrap around his hand.  She started crying a little harder and AJ swallowed hard as he looked at her.  He wanted to hold her in his arms, to hug her so bad but he didn’t want to push her. 

 

“You’re ok now Chels, you’re safe, he can’t hurt you anymore.” AJ said hoping she would look at him again.

 

“No” She said shaking her head.  “He’ll find me”

 

“No, no he won’t.” AJ said shaking his head and she finally looked at him again.  “I won’t let that happened, Kevin won’t let that happened.”

 

“You.” She stopped and she took a breath.  “You can’t promise that.”

 

“Yes I can.” AJ said as he gently squeezed her hand.  “You always felt safe with me and you still can.” 

 

Chelsea let go of AJ’s hands and slowly wrapped her arms around his back and leaned forward, lying her head on his shoulder.  He closed his eyes and he wrapped his arms around her, gently brushed his hand down the back of her hand.  They sat there silent and AJ didn’t care if he was wasting tape, he wanted this moment to never end.

 

“I thought about you every day Chels.” AJ whispered.  “One day I was talking on the phone with you and the next you were gone, forever.” Slowly AJ pulled her away and looked her in the eyes.  “Tell me what happened?”

 

“No.” She said shaking her head and she pulled herself back into his arms.

 

“Do, do you know where he went?” AJ asked her.

 

“No” She said quietly.  “He never told me anything about where we were going.”

 

“How long have you been here?”  He asked.

 

“I don’t know” She said as he felt her hand slid up his back.  It made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.  “I think a year.”

 

“What did you mean when you told the Doctor you saw me with your dad?” AJ asked her still enjoying holding her.

 

“Dad had a picture of you and him, he said he saw you, you were here in Mexico.” Chelsea explained slowly.  “He laughed that you didn’t know who he was.” It sent a feeling of great anger that her dad had played him like that.  And what would have happened if the FBI and the PI hadn’t found him, AJ would have never known.

 

“Is my mom coming?” She asked and the question made AJ freeze.

 

“Uh.” AJ said not knowing what to tell her, it hadn’t even clued into him. “No darlin’ she’s not coming.” AJ said sadly.

 

“Why?” Chelsea asked but there was a tone in her voice like she kind of knew.  Just then the door opened, it made Chelsea jump and she pulled away from him quickly.  Aj turned around and saw Kevin closing the door; he remembered then that he was being watched.

 

“Kevin?” Chelsea said looking at him.

 

“Hey girl” Kevin said smiling at her with tears in his eyes.

 

“I did see you at the hospital.” She said slowly.  AJ noticed she was having some trouble speaking.

 

“Yeah that was me, I wasn’t allowed seeing you yet.” He said as he walked over to the other side of the bed.

 

“Why isn’t my mom coming?” She asked him.  Kevin looked at AJ and then back at her.  He took a deep breath and then took her hand.

 

“Well hun your mom, she passed away about a year after they found the cottage.”  Kevin told her.

 

“What?” She said breathless. “No, Kevin?”

 

“I know hun, she..” Kevin stopped and AJ looked at him.  “She got sick, really sick, and we lost her.”  Chelsea closed her eyes and started crying.  This time AJ didn’t hesitate and he pulled her into his arms and held her.  He looked at Kevin and he could tell Kevin was hoping she would leave it at that, at least for now.

 

“I want to go home.” She said pulling away from AJ.

 

“I want to get you home.” Kevin said. “I’ll get you back to Kentucky as soon as they let me.”

 

“You’ll come to right?” She asked looking at AJ.

 

“Oh.” AJ said a little taken back.  “I can’t sweetheart.” He said with a frown.  “I’m in the middle of a tour with the group; it’s by pure luck I’m here.”

 

“But your coming?” She asked Kevin.

 

“Yeah, hun I’m not with the group anymore.” Kevin told her.  “It’s a long story, I’ll tell ya on the way home ok?”

 

“Ok.” She said still confused.  “Do you have to go then?” Chelsea asked looking at AJ.

 

“No, not right away.” He said to her as he took her hand back in his. 

 

“Why don’t you try to get some sleep” Kevin said.  She looked at him and then looked at AJ.  Chelsea said nothing as she laid back against her pillows and AJ and Kevin stood up.  Kevin grabbed her blankets and pulled them up closer too her.  AJ walked over by the door and waited.

 

“I need to make some more phone calls with Jerald.  Are you staying in here?” Kevin asked.

 

“Can I?”

 

“Yeah” Kevin said and AJ heard a light giggle in his tone.  Guess he sounded a little more enthusiastic then he meant too.  “I’ll bring your bags in.”  AJ lightly smiled as Kevin opened the door and left.  He turned around and walked over to the chair in the corner and picked it up. Carrying to the side of her bed he sat down as she slowly rolled her head and looked at him. 

 

“You don’t really wanna go to sleep do you.” He said with a little smirk.  She shook her head slowly.  “Didn’t think so” he replied as he took her hand and smiled lightly at her.