- Text Size +

 

“You alright, Nick?”

Nick managed to lift himself up from his doubled over position and gave Brian what he hoped was a smile. It probably came out as a grimace. They’ve been rehearsing for their tour for hours already and he knew they weren’t close to being finished yet. The others were out of breath but Nick was downright gasping for air. He didn’t understand, he was in shape like the rest of them so why was he the only one doubled over?

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Nick replied, his eyes drifting over to Fatima who was giving him a hard look. He sighed and dropped his shoulders. He was used to that look but it never made him feel any better. He was trying his best, what more could Fatima ask for?

Nick knew. She didn’t want him to try, she wanted him to do and with this new tour coming up the pressure was on. Their Into the Millennium Tour was speculated to be the biggest tour ever because of its link to their multi-platinum album Millennium. Nick was still in shock that it had managed to sell more than a million albums in one week alone. One week. That was unheard of in the music industry but they managed to do it and, to make sure that everyone knew they were being serious about their work, they had to pull off a great tour.

Unfortunately it seemed like Nick was going to die in the process.

“C’mon guys, one more time,” Fatima called, clapping her hands to emphasize that she wanted order. Nick cringed. He loved Fatima to death but there were times she could get on his nerves, like now. He hated it when she clapped for emphasis; it made him feel like a dog.

Nick and the others got in their places. For now they had to get their moves down before they brought their dancers in to go over the whole show with them. Then they would move the whole thing to the stage and work it there. Nick didn’t know how he was going to survive the next month with all of the rehearsals and promotion to be shoved in between not to mention that the tour actually started next month.

Nick!”

Nick lifted his head and looked around to see that the others were staring back at him. His eyes drifted over to Fatima who had her finger at the button on the sound system and her hands on her hips. Oops. Nick missed another cue.

“Sorry,” he called out weakly.

“Space Cadet,” AJ snickered, his eyes twinkling behind his sunglasses.

Fatima merely pushed the button on the sound system again and Nick heard his own voice come out of the speakers signaling the start of “It’s Gotta Be You”. It was one of his favorite songs on the album, he thought it was funky and gave the Boys a new sound that the fans really liked.

All at once they started moving in time with the music, lightly moving their lips in time with the song so they could get used to breathing and dancing again. Everything was going fine until Nick tried to take a turn. His foot got caught on the bottom of the tear-away pants he was wearing. The next thing he knew he fell to the ground with a loud thud.

“Clutz,” AJ laughed. Even Brian cracked a smile but he walked over to Nick with his hand outstretched. Nick gladly took it and allowed Brian to help him to his feet.

“Maybe we should take a break,” Howie suggested.

Thank you, Sweet D! Nick nodded in agreement and flashed a smile in Howie’s direction. Good ol’ Howie, always having Nick’s back.

Fatima sighed and hung her head slightly, letting her many and long braids fall into her face. She then used a hand to push them back and let out a long sigh. “Fine, take a thirty minute break but once you come back you have to hit it hard.” She directed the last part of her sentence towards Nick.

He made a face and then turned to where their lunch had been brought in and set up for them. They had a large variety of fruit, vegetables, and snacks but Nick made a beeline for the McDonald’s that sat at the end of the table. AJ joined him and the two picked out what they wanted. AJ went with his normal order but Nick grabbed a few more pies and cartons of fries than AJ did.

“Whoa. You might want to put some back, Frack,” AJ commented.

“I’m hungry,” Nick grunted.

“I know, but I don’t want to be dancing  and then slide through your puke,” AJ replied, lightly punching him on the arm and then joined the others on the ground where they sat in a circle, eating.

Nick stuck his tongue out at AJ’s back but followed him to the circle. He sat down and a smile broke on his face as he grabbed an apple pie. He was about to take a bite when he noticed the disapproving look on Kevin’s face. “What?” Nick asked innocently.

“Don’t you think you should be eating something less…greasy?” Kevin question.

Nick laughed. “Pies aren’t greasy, Kev,” he pointed out and took a bite so large that he almost ate the whole apple pie in that one bite. “They’re good,” he added once he swallowed and popped the last piece of the pie into his mouth and chewed.

“Well, maybe you shouldn’t eat so many Big Macs,” Kevin said slowly. Nick lifted his eyebrows. “I mean, it might make you sick. “

“I’m fine,” Nick replied, grabbing some fries and stuffing them into his mouth.

Kevin sighed but dropped the subject, instead turning to Brian to talk about someone in their family. Nick listened to their conversations while eating. He felt hurt that no one wanted to talk to him but he got used to it. Howie and AJ were close, having knowing each other for the longest out of the group. Then Brian and Kevin were family so he expected those two to get along.

Maybe it was because he was the youngest. Nick let out a barely audible sigh and picked at his food. He wasn’t that hungry anymore, he wanted to go outside and play some basketball but he knew Fatima wouldn’t let him out.

He felt trapped and it was only  a matter of time until he reached his breaking point.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please read and review.