- Text Size +

Chapter 13



Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

That's all I have been doing for the past three weeks. I haven't heard from Nick and I probably won't. It has been really exhausting but, I've come to the conclusion that I really did mess up this time.

"If it's meant to be, he'll find his way back." Those words kept echoing in my head. I had found out Nick had left LA. To where; I don't know. I looked and looked. I kind of felt like a stalker or one of those stupid paparazzi people but, I just wanted to see him again. I wanted him to know how sorry I was for hurting him the way that I did.

I guess I'll just have to go with the fact that it probably is over.

So here I was, writing in my notebook again with my guitar on my lap. The same guitar Nick had given me. The same one I had played for him the day he came over. I hadn't written in this thing for years so I'm surprised that it still had a few blank pages left to it.

As I wrote down the first few lines of a song that I had stuck in my head, I began to hum it softly to myself and then started to play the melody on the guitar.

I miss those blue eyes
How you kissed me at night
I miss the way we sleep
Like there's no sunrise
Like the taste of your smile
I miss the way we breathe

I really didn't know where Nick and I stood anymore. I told myself that I wouldn't do this again. That I wouldn't let myself get attached again. But, I did and... I was falling in love with him all over again.

I wrote down some more lyrics and contined to play the melody on my guitar and hum the words softly in my head.

But I never told you
What I should have said
No I never told you
I just held it in

And now I miss everything
About you
I can't believe I still want you
After all the things we've
Been through
I miss everything about you
Without you

I see your blue eyes
Every time I close mine
You make it hard to see
Where I belong to when I'm not
Around you
It's like I'm not with me

Emma felt her eyes begin to fill up with tears as she closed them and thought about all the memories she had shared with Nick, all the while continuing to play her guitar and sing the lyrics that were in her head.

But I never told you
What I should have said
No I never told you
I just held it in
And now I miss everything
About you
(still you're gone)
Can't believe that I still want
You
After all the things we've
Been through
I miss everything about you
Without you

By the time Emma had finished singing the song, she was in full tears. It was then in that moment that she realized she was completely in love with Nick. She put her guitar down and sighed, running her hand over her face. "This is insane." She whispered to herself.


"That was beautiful..."

Startled, she quickly turned around. For a second she thought she had Nick's voice but, she noticed it was just Patrick's.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Front door was unlocked."

Emma stood up and slowly put the guitar down. "It's okay. I didn't think you would come back here."

"Yeah, yeah. I was just driving around in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by to see how you're doing. That was a really nice song that you were singing. Someone in particular?"

"I'm good. Thanks for asking and, no, not anyone in particular." She lied. "It's just a song that I had been toying around with. Nothing big. Uh, how are you? I'm sorry about the other night at the club."

"Could've fooled me on that one. But, again it was really beautiful. I'm doing good. Great, even. And, hey it's fine. Don't worry about it. Wanna know what I think?

"Would you like anything to drink?" She said, changing the subject rapidly. "I don't have much right now but, I'll get you something if you'd like." She said, heading towards the kitchen.

"No, no. It's fine."

"Okay. So uh, what... do you think of what and what brings you around here?

"Well, I personally think that you should record your own songs and like I said, I just wanted to see how you were doing." He said reaching into his pocket. "Oh, uh this was left for... you at the front door. Thought I'd pick it up." He said, handing her a small package.

"Thanks. So, uh you really think I should record them?"

"Yeah, you should. Go for it. I know it's something you've been wanting to do for a long time. Your dream, even. You are so talented and an amazing singer."

I laughed. "Ha, thanks. You're right. Maybe someday I will get that."

Patrick watched her for a minute. "So listen, uh I have to head out of here in about 5 minutes. Would you like to go to dinner with me again... tonight?"

"Dinner? With me? Tonight?"

"Yeah. I just, you know, thought I'd make up for the last time. I mean if you don't want to it's fine with me. Just thought I'd ask."

"Uh..."

"It's fine, Emma."

"It's not that, I just..."

"You have plans tonight or something?"

"No, not really."

"Not really, okay. It's just dinner."

Just dinner. Right. That's exactly what I said the first time Nick had asked me out to "dinner" and looked where that got us.

"So how about it? Pick you up at 7:30?"

"I..."

"Come on Em, it's just dinner." He smirked.

If I had known better, I would think he was trying to pull that same smirk that Nick did. Sorry buddy but, the Famous Carter Smirk definitely doesn't look good on you.

"Okay," She sighed. "I'll go with you."

"Great. It's a date."

This was SO not a date.

"Sure." She smiled at him politely. "It was nice of you to... come by." She said walking Patrick to the door.

"My pleasure. See you tonight, Em."

"Yeah..."

She sighed, closed the door and made her way back into the kitchen.

Why the hell did I even accept Patrick's offer to dinner? She thought to herself. As soon as she made her way into the kitchen, she noticed the small package that Patrick had given her sitting on the counter.

It was addressed to her.

She opened it with caution and realized that it was a CD with a note attached to it. She noticed it was Nick's "chicken scratch" handwriting.

Emma -

We recently just finished putting the last few touches on the album before we release it. I wanted you to be the first person to share it with. You probably figured it out by now that I am no longer in LA. I'm sorry. I had to get away for awhile. To clear my head about a few things. I'm still hurt, Emma. That feeling won't go anyway anytime soon. But, enough about that, I promised you the full version of our new album so here it is. I present to you...

Unbreakable.

P.S - I also added a few bonus tracks that didn't quite make it. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy.

- Nick

"Unbreakable..." She whispered to herself.

I was definitely surprised when I saw that Nick had kept his promise in me being the first one to listen to the CD before it was out. I was super excited for this. I couldn't wait to listen to it.

Patrick and his dinner would just have to wait.

Chapter End Notes:

Song used: "I Never Told You" by Colbie Caillat