- Text Size +
~Chapter One~
"I swear if you bring up Vegas again, I will scream." I said. "I'm so sick of hearing about it. I don't want to go."
“Why don’t you want to go, Alexis?” Terri said throwing her hands up. “You already have the plane tickets, the hotel booked and everything else. It seems like a huge waste of money to me.”
“Well let’s see, I just found out that my boyfriend, who I had been with for five years, has been cheating on me for the last two years.” I said. “The trip was supposed to be for us. I can't go knowing that were supposed to be there together.”
“More reason for you to go.” She said and sighed. “Look if you keep this up, he’s going to win, you need to go out and show him and everyone else that you’re over his dumbass.”
“But I’m not over him.” I said in a small voice.
“He’s a liar and a cheater; you need to get over him. There is no reason to be hung up on him, when he’s not coming back.” She said. “I’m not saying any of this to hurt you. I’m saying it because I’m really worried about you.”
“I’m fine.” I said standing up.
“That’s the thing, you’re not fine. It’s like you forgot how to live without him around.” She said. "I really hate seein you like this."
I just looked at her and knew she was right. I had forgotten how to live without him in my life.
“You need this trip more than ever.” She said standing up. “At least think about it, okay.”
“I will.” I said and hugged her. “Thanks. I needed that kick in the ass.”
She pulled away and smiled at me.
“I know. And hey you never know, you just may meet Mr. Right.” She said and laughed.
“In Vegas?” I asked and raised an eyebrow. “Yeah right.”
“You never know, God works in many ways.” She said grabbing her purse. “I’ve got to go, but I’ll call you later okay?”
“Okay, have fun with your boy toy.” I said smiling.
“Oh trust me I will.” She said laughing. “If I wasn’t so head over heels for the boy, I’d let you borrow him. Maybe that’s all you need.”
“What?” I looked at her confused.
“You need a man who knows what the hell he’s doing.” She said and wiggled her eyebrows. “Wasn’t that like your number one complaint about assface? He couldn’t please you like you wanted to be pleased.”
“Assface, well that’s a new one.” I said laughing.
“Okay, don’t answer me, but I know the truth.” She said and pointed her finger at me. “If you want I can always see if Nick has any single friends.”
“No thanks.” I said laughing. “Go before you’re late. I’ll be fine; you don’t have to worry about me. I have a tub of Ben and Jerry’s with my name on it. And I do believe I also have a bottle of Vodka also in my freezer.”
“I will call you later and check on you.” She said. “If you don’t sound good, I will be coming back over.”
“What about Nick?” I asked and raised an eyebrow.
“Chick’s before Dick’s.” She said. “Plus I know what you’re like when you drink. Take it easy okay?”
“I will. I think I’ll just have a Harry Potter marathon and then hit the sack.” I said and lead her to the door.
“And you say I’m bad.” She said and laughed. “They are younger then Nick is.”
“I can’t help that Tom Felton is yummy. Plus I just love Alan Rickman. Its his voice, I tell ya.” I said laughing.
“Whatever you say Lady, I will have my cell on at all time, call me if you need me.” She said and opened the door.
“If I need you I will call.” I said. “Be careful okay?”
“I will be.” She said. “You too.”
“I will.” I said smiling.
She smiled at me and then walked away. I waited until she was in her car and driving away before shutting and locking the door.
I went into the kitchen and got my ice cream out of the freezer. Leaving the vodka for another time.
I made my way back to my room where I planed on pigging out on ice cream and drool over all things Harry Potter. It was such a great w ay to spend a Friday night, not. I guess it’s better than crying my eyes out again.
I had really thought he was going to be the one. God how worng I had been. I never though he would have done something like this to me. But he showed me.
If it hadn't been for Terri, I don't know what I would have done. She pulled me up before I even had the chance to fall.
My phone ringing brought me out of my thoughts. I knew it couldn’t be Terri; she was off having fun with her boy toy. I picked it up and saw that it was Amber calling.
“What do you want, Amber?” I asked.
“No need to get bitchy on me.” She said. “Alexis, we use to be BFFS.”
“Yeah until you slept with Brad.” I said. “What do you want?”
“It’s not my fault you couldn’t keep him happy.” She said. “He said you were a fridged ice queen in bed.”
“I really don’t have time for this bull shit. If you just called to piss me off, good job you did, if you called for some other reason, get to it or I’m hanging up.” I said.
“Fine, Brad wanted me to call and invite you to the wedding.” She said.
“You have to be fucking kidding me.” I said. “Why the fuck would I want to come to your wedding?”
“I don’t know if it was up to me, you wouldn’t be invited.” She said.
“Then take my fucking name off the guest list, I won’t be coming.” I said. “And don’t ever call me again.”
“No problem there. Have a good life alone Alexis, because we both know that you’ll never find a man.” She said. “Well one that’s not as good as Brad.”
“Do you really think he won’t cheat on you?” I asked. “He’s nothing but a man whore, and you’re just a notch on his bed post. Enjoy the shitty sex while it lasts.”
Before she could answer I hung up on her.
God I really can’t believe her. She had some nerve calling me and inviting me to their fucking wedding. I knew for a fact the only reason he was marring her slutty ass was because he knocked her up. His own mother told me that. After she had apologized for her stupid son, one of the last times I had talked to her.
Shaking my head I picked up my phone and called Terri. She was right I need to get over the assface and move on with my life.
I do believe we will be taking that trip to Vegas.
“Everything okay?” Terri said answering her phone.
“Everything is fine. Hell the vodka is still in the freezer.” I said. “But that’s not why I called. How do you fancy a trip to Vegas?”
“Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?”
“I’m still me, I just realized you were right and I was wasting my life away.” I said. “So what do you say?”
“Hell yeah, though I will have to ask my boss for the time off,” She said laughing. “Though she’s a hard ass, I do think I can get it off.”
“Hahaha.” I said and rolled my eyes. “We’ll figure things out tomorrow, okay. I’m gonna go back to my ice cream and Harry Potter movies.”
“You have fun with that.” She said.
“Oh, I will. Tell Nick I said hi.” I said.
“Okay will do, later Lady.” She said.
“Later.” I said and hung up my phone.
I tossed it onto the bed next to me and hit play on my remote. Once again letting myself get lost in the magical world of Harry Potter.
When I woke up in the morning, I found my half eaten ice cream sitting on my night stand.
I rolled out of bed and cared the mealted ice cream to the kitchen. After I tossed it into the trash I started a fresh pot of coffee and then headed back to my room to take a shower.
Once I was showered and dressed I headed back into the kitchen to get some coffee. Everyone knows I’m never me until I have my coffee.
As I sat at my kitchen table, I looked out the window. The view was one reason why I picked this house. Brad didn’t want me to get it, because he wanted me to move in with him. But I wasn’t ready for that yet. Yes, I did think he was the one, but I wasn’t ready for that yet. There was so much I still wanted to do with my life. There was no way I was ready for marriage yet.
My phone ringing brought me out of my thoughts. I picked it up and saw that Terri was calling.
“Wow, I’m shocked that you’re up this early.” I said answering the phone.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked.
“You were with Nick last night. He usually keeps you up all night, doing god knows what.” I said and laughed. “And don’t even try to deny it.”
“Wasn’t going to.” She said. “So when did you want me to come over so we could figure out the trip to Vegas?”
“Whenever you’re free is fine.” I said and took a sip of my coffee. “I’m just enjoying my coffee and the view.”
“I guess I’ll be over in an hour.” She said. “I need some food and coffee.”
“Okay that sounds good to me.” I said. “It gives me time to wake up.”
“Oh we all know how you’re not yourself unless you have at least three cups of coffee. And sometimes you need more than that.” She said.
“Are you saying I’m a bitch without my coffee in the morning?” I asked.
“You know you are.” She said. “It’s why you don’t have an assistant. You’ve made the last three cry.” She said. “And then they quit.”
“Hmm.” I said.
“Lady, just drink your coffee and I’ll be over in an hour or so.” She said. “Can you handle that?”
“I guess I can.” I said taking another sip of coffee.
“Okay, I’ll be over soon.” She said.
“No hurry.” I said.
“Bye Lexi,” She said and hung up on me.
I shook my head and closed my phone. I really hated when she called me that and she knew it. It’s why she did it. But she was the only one who got away with it. Not even my parents called me Lexi.
I guess it doesn't help that I'm not really talking to my parents. They disappove of most of the choices I've made in my life.
Every since my sister got married, they've been on my case to settle down. They just don't understand I'm not ready fot that. And my Mom didn't understand why I was still with Brad after five years without a ring. I still haven't told her we broke up. I dread the day I have to tell her. I'm surpised she doesn't know yet it has been three months since I broke up with him.
Before I could even finish my first cup of coffee my doorbell rang. I got up and refilled my cup before making my way to the door to answer it.
As soon as I opened it, I regretted it. I wanted to slam the door shut in her face and walk away, but she’s my Mother and I really can’t do that to her.
“Why are you here?” I asked.
“Are you going to let me in?” She questioned. “I really don’t want to have the conversation out here.”
“Well I don’t want to have this conversation at all.” I said and moved out of the door way so she could come in. “But since you’re here you might as well come on in.”
She walked past me into the house. It took all my will power not to slam the door shut.
I followed her into the living room and sat down on my chair as she sat on the couch.
“So what do you want?”
She looked up at me and scowled.
“That is no way to talk to your mother.” She said.
"Well maybe if you acted like a mother instaed of a spolied brat, I'd treat you like one." I said taking a drink of coffee wishing I had something stronger.
"I'm the one acting like a spolied brat? What about you?" She said.
"Just acting the way my mother taught me." I said setting my cup on the table next to my chair. "Anyways what do you want? I do have plans."
"I just can't come check up on you?"
"Stop beating around the damn bush." I snapped. "I haven't enough coffee to deal with you this morning, so please just tell me what you want."
"Just like your father." She muttered under her breath.
I growled at her and picked up my cup, so my hands would be to busy hit her.
"Fine be that way." She said and sighed. "Why didn't you tell me that Brad left you?"
"I broke up with him, not the other way around." I said seething. "He cheated on me for two years."
"Well if you would have just moved in with him like I told you too, this wouldn't have happened." She said.
"Get out before I say or do something I will regret dowen the road." I said standing up. "If you just came to rub it in my face, then you can leave because I don't want to hear it."
"What did I ever do to you to make you hate me so much?" She asked as the tears fell down her face.
"I don't know maybe it started when you abandond me when I was 15." I said. "And all the other times you hurt me. I've had what 10 differnt step fathers?"
"Will you ever forgive me?" She asked.
"I don't know." I said. "I hosnstly can't say. I need to work on myself before I can do anything else."
"I will be here whenever you're ready." She said standing up.
I didn't say anything as I walked her to the door aned let her out. I shut the door behind her and locked it. Terri had a key she'd let herself in.
When Terri got here, she found me in the back yard sitting on my swing I had built myself, just because I wanted it.
“What’s wrong?” She said and sat on the swing next to me.
“My Mom came over today.” I said and wiped my eyes.
“What did she want?” She asked.
“I don’t know, she never told me.” I said looking at her. “She just had to bring up Brad.”
“I’m sorry.” She said.
“I never thought I’d ever, I mean ever want to hit my Mom, but today I did.” I said. “I’ve never wanted to hurt anyone so much in my life.”
"So what changed your mind about Vegas?"
"Did you know that he's marring that slut? If you didn't, you do now." I said shaking my head. "It most likely why she came over today. Anyways last night Amber called and invited me to the wedding."
"You're kidding right?" She asked looking shocked.
"Nope, her Daddy is making them get married cause the slut got knocked up." I said. "I have a feeling it isn't even Brad's. Even if it wasn't and he broke up with her, I wouldn't take him back now. You were right I had forgotten how to live with out him."
"I'm sorry." She said.
"Not your fault." I said. "But it made me really realize that you were right, I need this trip. More than ever."
"So who is gonna watch the office while we are gone?" She asked.
"I was thinking Ally could or Dan." I said looking at her. "They are the only two I really trust."
"Yeah I agree. They are the only one I see keeping things under control." She said. "But maybe leave both of them in charge."
"Good idea they need to learn how to work together anyways." I said. "So about the trip, I figured we'd do the whole girly thing."
"Like what?" She aksed.
"Spa, shopping til we drop and whatever girls do when they hang out. I don't know don't ask me, I never had many friends that were girls." I said shrugging.
"And you think I did? Hell you’re the only girl I could stand for the longest time." She said. "But I have a feeling we will find something to get us in trouble."
"That's the understatment of the year." I said laughing. "We always find trouble, or it finds us."
"Okay, but please don't get us kicked out. I would like to go there more then once." She said. "Do you think you can do that for me?"
"I will see what I can do." I said laughing.
"That's all I ask." She said.
“So you excited for our girl’s weekend in Vegas?”
“Do you even have to ask?” She said.
“I guess not. Was there anything else you wanted to do while we were there?” I asked.
"Not that I can think. Like I said we'll find something to keep us from being bored." She said.
I laughed ands we went on hashing out the plans for Vegas.
When we were done it was after noon and way past lunch.
We decied to head to the mall and get started on our shopping for our trip to Vegas and have some girl time.
I couldn't wait to go and cut loose. It was time I did something for me and me alone.
"You look lost, wanna share." Terri asked breaking me out of my thoughts.
“Just thinking about how good it’s gonna feel when I let loose.” I said laughing. “I’m actually looking forward to this trip.”
“You weren’t before?”
“No, it really was a trip for him and not really me. We were going because it’s where wanted to go for his birthday.” I said shrugging. “Though I know I’ll have more fun with you around then I would have if he had come.”
“That is the truth.” She said laughing. “I’m really glad you decided to do this.”
“Me too,” I said. “Why was I so against this to begin with? I don’t even remember now.”
“I don’t even really know.” She said and shrugged. “I never figured it out.”
“Oh well that really doesn’t matter now.” I said. “Where did you want to go to now?”
“Victories Secret.” She said. “I need to pick some stuff up.”
“Seeing Nick again tonight?” I asked as we stood up to throw our trash away.
“Maybe.” She said and blushed.
“Right no need to answer that.” I said laughing. “I wish I still had that, not matter how bad it was. Maybe I need to find a friend with benefits type deal.”
She just looked at me and raised an eyebrow at me.
“Okay I guess not.” I said smiling.
“Don’t worry you’ll find your Mr. Right.” She said. “Maybe sooner than later.”
I just shook my head and headed towards Victories Secret, might as well pick something nice up while I was here.