- Text Size +

Eden’s Point of View

Today was a day off for the Backstreet Boys. This meant that everyone was going to spend the day doing whatever the hell they wanted. I was grounded, so I was going to sit in the hotel bored to tears. Maybe my parents would let me hang at the pool. I doubt they would, but I could dream. My mom was serious when it came to punishment. She never let me get away with anything.

I was sitting in the hotel restaurant eating breakfast with my mom and Brian. Something was up; they were barely talking to one another. I found this odd because they were always smiling and chatting about something. I continued to watch with interest. I loved drama, what can I say.

“Sooo mom, what are your plans for the day.” I asked while munching on a slice of bacon.

“I’m not sure. I might do some shopping or walk around the city.”

“What about you Brian?”

“Not sure, Eden. I might play some basketball or something.” He replied not even paying attention.

I would have thought that mom and Brian would spend the day together. I mean she would be leaving in a week, you would think they would want to spend time together.

“Why don’t you two do something romantic?” I suggested. Brian looked at his eggs. My mom continued to play with her Blackberry. For sure something wasn’t right. They were usually all huggy kissy with each other. I thought it was romantic. “Is there something wrong?”

“Eden, no. Why would you think that? Sometimes Brian and I like to do different things.” Mom answered quickly.

“We’ll probably meet up for lunch. Nick’s been asking to play basketball for the last week.” Brian replied.

“What ever you say. I guess I’ll be stuck with dad in the hotel.”  I replied earnestly. I didn’t want to spend the day with my dad. I’m sure he didn’t want to spend his free time with me.

“I’m sure you will find something to occupy you time.” Leah said absentmindedly.

“Gee mom, I can tell you care so much.” I stood up. “I’ll see you later.” Neither one said anything. I headed back to the suite.

----------------------

Could this day get any worse? My dad didn’t even let me relax. He gave me a list of chores to do as part of my punishment.

“Eden did you get everything you need to do the laundry.” AJ asked his daughter.

“Yes, dad. I’m so enjoying being your slave for the day.” I replied sarcastically. I threw my last pair of jeans in the laundry basket.

“It sucks being grounded, doesn’t it?”

“Shut up dad.” I rolled my eyes at him. He was so annoying. “I bet Grandma Denise didn’t make you work like a horse when you got in trouble.”

“I was an angel.” He smiled at me. “My mom never had to ground me.”

“You’re such a liar. I’m off to the laundry room to play Cinderella.” I grabbed the basket of laundry and went to the laundry room.

As soon as I got to the laundry room, I placed the laundry in the washer, poured the detergent in, and started up the machine. I sat on the washer and opened my mom’s journal.

I loved my mom, but if I knew her back then, I would seriously hate her. She was what everyone would call a slut in my school. I can’t believe my mom had sex at my age. No wonder she didn’t want me to have a boyfriend and was pissed off about the whole Xavier thing. I could almost hate her. I knew she was wild, but really she was even wilder than I imagined. I was so vanilla compared to her.

The opening of the door pulled me out of my thoughts. I quickly closed the journal and placed it behind me. Nick walked in wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt that read Captain Awesome. He looked cute. I think I was getting a little crush on him. I mean what girl wouldn’t.

“Hey Nicky.”

“You enjoying your day off?”

“Oh yeah, cleaning the suite, packing, and doing laundry. It’s been the best day of my life. I wish every day off was like this.” I sighed dramatically. He ruffled my hair.

“No reason to be so sarcastic.” He laughed.

“No reason to mess up my hair. I spent hours pulling into a ponytail.” I jumped off the washer. I opened the lid and started to place clothes in the dryer. “So did you and Brian play some basketball today?”

“No, I just got back from the gym. Brian’s been gone all day.”

“Oh. He mentioned that you wanted to play some b-ball today.” I closed the dryer and turned it on.

“He told me he had plans for the day.” Nick leaned against the wall.

“Hmm…I wonder why he lied to me.” I thought for a moment. I knew something was up between Brian and my mom. I was curious to know. “My mom and Brian were acting strange at breakfast today. Do you know anything?”

“Nope, but you shouldn’t be butting into their relationship.”

“I wasn’t planning on it. I just was curious because they were hardly talking this morning.”

“Brian leave me alone. I’m tired of this jealousy.” Leah yelled loudly from the hall. I quickly went to the door to listen. Nick just stared at me.

“I’m not jealous. I wish you would stop saying that.” Brian raised his voice.

“Your actions show that you are jealous. Get over it or leave me alone.” I watched my mom walk to the suite. Brian looked sad. I felt bad for him.

I walked over to Nick. “See I told you something was wrong. Just cause I’m fourteen doesn’t mean I’m stupid.”

“I never said you were Edy. I think you should let them deal with whatever is bothering them. You don’t need to interfere.” Nick stated carefully.

“Why would I interfere? “ I questioned. Nobody gave me credit. I didn’t have a temper like my mom. I wasn’t moody like my dad. I knew when to keep things to myself. Hell, I did that most of the time. I wish they wouldn’t treat me like a child.

“Edy, I know you love Brian like a dad. I don’t think you need to worry. They probably just got into a little fight. Let them solve their problems.”

“Would you stop calling me Edy and treating me like I’m five years old? I’m sick and tired of being treated like a baby.” I was so mad, I left the laundry room

When I got to the suite, I slammed the door shut. My dad was sitting on the couch and looked at me.  I’m sure I had a pissed off look on my face. “What’s wrong Eden?”

“Nothing.” I plopped down on the couch.

“You seem upset.”

“I’m fine. Just tired of being everyone’s slave and being treated like I’m a baby.”

“No one is treating you like a slave. Sweetheart, you’re still a child, but no one treats you like a baby.”

“Whatever.” I replied under my breath. “Do you know what’s wrong with mom and Brian?”

“No. It’s their personal business. I’m not getting involved and neither should you.”

“Uggghhh. Why does everyone say that? It is my business. I live with them. Brian is the best thing that ever happened to mom. I don’t want to see anything happen to their relationship. I love Brian like a father.” I yelled at my dad. He looked at me like I had three heads. Crap, I realized what I said. AJ looked like he was ready to cry. I knew what I said hurt his feelings. Why did I open my mouth and say the wrong things. I took one more look at my dad and ran into my room. I fell on my bed and burst into tears.

Why was I such a screw up? Ever since this tour started I was always doing and saying the wrong things. Would I ever get it right? It was like everything was falling apart and I couldn’t do anything to make it better.