- Text Size +

Leah’s Point of View

I was glad to be back in Atlanta. I missed Eden and Brian, but was happy to not be around AJ.  I was feeling confused about sleeping with AJ. In my heart I knew it was wrong to cheat on Brian. I didn’t want to be that kind of woman. I was a cheater in the past and it ruined my relationship with AJ. Though AJ had no clue I slept with Nick; I know that’s when our relationship started to fizzle.

I sat in my office thinking of something to do. Things were pretty much done for the ball. The main thing I had to do was make some follow up calls about donations and update the guest list. I was in no mood to talk on the phone, so I was avoiding my work. Instead my thoughts were on AJ. My cell phone rang, and I quickly picked it up without looking at the number.

“Hello!”

“Hi Leah. How are you, dear?” It was Brian’s mom. I loved her dearly but I did not want to have a conversation with her. I took my glasses off and set them on the desk.

“I’m fine. How are you Jackie?”

“Doing well. I was just calling to see if you needed any help with the wedding?” She was a good woman. Jackie always wanted to help. I appreciated it.

“I think everything is okay for the moment, but thanks for offering.” I was short and to the point. Maybe she would realize that I didn’t want to talk.

“That’s good. You’re always on top of things. Harold and I will be coming down for the ball. We were wondering if we could have Eden for a few days afterwards.”

“Eden’s with AJ for the summer, but I can talk to him. I don’t think it would be a problem.” I hoped he wouldn’t have a problem with her visiting with them. AJ was attending the ball, so Eden would be in Georgia. “She would enjoy spending time with you.”

“Great!” I could tell she was smiling. “Brian said you were on the tour for a while.”

“Yeah I just got back. Eden was having some issues with a boy.” I glanced at the clock. I just wanted to get off the phone.

“You mean you had to go all the way to Germany. Couldn’t AJ handle it?” She asked curiously. I know she didn’t say it to be mean, but I was annoyed by the comment.

“ AJ and I handled it together. Plus, it was nice getting to see Brian. I was missing him.” I mentioned the last part to buffer my first comment. I wasn’t lying I did miss him.

“Well that’s good. I always thought it was shame that he didn’t want to spend time with Eden. She’s a wonderful young woman. Any guy would be lucky to have a daughter like her.”

“I know. I’m proud of her.” I paused. “Not to cut this short, but I have a meeting in a few minutes. I’ll call you after I talk to AJ.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’ll talk to you later. Take care, Leah. Love ya.”

I said my goodbyes and shut off my phone. I didn’t want to talk to anyone else. My work was done for the day, so I decided to go home. I grabbed my purse and briefcase and headed out. I walked over to my secretary. “I’m heading out for the day. Just send my phone calls to voice mail. I’ll check them tonight. If Chase comes in tell him I sent the menu to the printers and give him a copy of the one I sent you.”

“Have a good day, Leah.”

“Thanks.” I waved as I walked out.

-----------------------------------

AJ sat on the couch in the dressing room, checking his text messages. He was bored and glad the tour was ending in two days. All he wanted was to spend time alone with Eden and figure out a way to show Leah that he really cared about her.

Earlier, he had sent her a beautiful bouquet of red and lavender roses, dark pink hydrangea, lavender phlox, lavender and dark purple carnations, purple orchids and hot pink freesia. He couldn’t send her the typical red roses. That was not Leah. She was unique.

Eden walked into the dressing room. She noticed that her dad kept checking his phone. Eden thought he was acting strange. “Why do you keep looking at your phone?” She sat down next to me.

“No reason.” He put the phone in his pocket.

“You’re lying. What are you hiding?” Eden questioned with a smile on her face.

“Nothing.” AJ was glad he had sunglasses on because she would see that he was lying.

“Whatever.” She said as his phone dinged. It was a text. AJ stood up and left his daughter sitting on the couch. Once he got in the hallway, he took the phone out of his pocket. It was a text telling him to call her. He dialed her number.

“Hello, AJ. Thanks for the flowers.” I said unsurely. “They’re beautiful.”

“You’re welcome, L-bug.” AJ sounded sincere. “I’m glad you like them.”

“Why?” I was confused and irritated as to why he sent me a huge bouquet of flowers.  Then he had to call me L-bug. I hadn’t heard that nickname in forever.

“Can’t a guy just be nice?”

“Not when it’s you. What game are you playing? First flowers and now you’re calling me L-bug. You’re up to something.” I snapped.  I just wanted to forget him, and he goes and does this shit.

“I just wanted to thank you for being a good mom and putting up with my shit all these years.” He slid down the wall and settled himself on the floor. “I’ve been an ass and I just wanted to let you know that I’ve changed. I’m not the same man. I’ve learned from my mistakes.”

“How does all that involve you sending me flowers?” AJ was such a liar. I wanted to hear the truth. I was so tired of him always beating around the bush.

“Well, I wanted to put a smile on your face.”

“J, you know I’m not the type for flowers, songs, and crap like that. Instead of bullshitting me, just tell me the truth. That’s all I really want from you.” I sighed. He frustrated me to know end.

“Fine. You really want the truth?”

“Yes.” I just wanted to get off the phone and take a bubble bath.

“Lee, I’m still in love with you. I know you are marrying Brian, but I can’t control how I feel. It’s always been about you. I’ve never loved anyone the way I love you. I never cheated on you or intentionally tried to hurt you. I want to be with you in every way possible.”

“Age that isn’t possible. I love Brian. He’s my life now. I’m sorry.” I was feeling horrible. AJ was being genuine and I was breaking his heart again.

“If you loved him so much you wouldn’t have made love to me the other night.” He got emotional. I couldn’t bear to listen to him. He was making my chest hurt.

“AJ it was just sex. We had a good time, but it didn’t go further than that.” I think I was trying to convince myself more than AJ. That night I felt things I hadn’t in a long time.

“You’re lying to yourself.” He started to raise his voice. “At least I’m able to say how I feel. You would rather hide from the truth because you’re afraid.”

“I’m not afraid.” I yelled as I poured myself a glass of wine. I needed something to calm my nerves. “I’m in fucking love with Brian. Don’t you get that? You can tell me you love me every day for the rest of your life, and I’m still going to be married to Brian.”

“Leah, if you loved him so much you wouldn’t have been fucking me all night. You need to admit it to yourself. I’m going to make you forget all about Brian Littrell. You will always be mine.” Then he hung up on me.

I wiped my face and didn’t realize I had tears running down my face. I loved Brian, but somewhere deep in my core I loved AJ. What was I going to do?  How could I be in love with two men? I had a lot of soul searching to do.