- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Guten Tag Fraulein

The warmth of Kevin's hand in hers was not enough to battle the chill her legs were feeling as they walked through the streets of Pasewalk. It wasn't that she underestimated what the weather was going to be like in early November Germany, but the stockings that covered her legs could not fight the chill in the wind. She hoped her legs would become numb soon so she could ignore the cold.

She moved closer to Kevin and internally sighed as he put his arm around her shoulder, holding her close. He looked down at her and smiled; kissing the top of her head before he turned his attention back on the road they were walking down.

Julie was somewhat surprised that Kevin was acting this way with her now, before they had jumped they had argued. Kevin wanted Julie to stay, didn't want her getting injured more. She didn't have to argue much to get him to change his mind. She felt it was probably because he wanted to be near her like she wanted to be near him. Kevin had seemed fine with her going with him to twenty-thirty but as they got ready it had sunk in with him what exactly they were doing and he did not like it one bit. Howie even agreed with her, said her wound looked fine and that she could be an asset to the mission. Nick thought she was dead, it might come as an advantage. Kevin reluctantly agreed.

Julie could feel the gun rub her thigh even though it was strapped securely into the belt. Kevin had gone against Howie's concerns and insisted that she carry the pistol. Her device and a few other items were nestled near the gun, she lost it too many times to keep it on her wrist as Kevin did.

She closed her eyes briefly and let herself think that she and Kevin were simply out for a stroll on a chilly afternoon versus hunting down the man who wanted them dead, the man that thought it was okay to change history. They had already been in Pasewalk for a few days. Since they did not know the exact date Nick would choose, they only hoped that it wasn't too late.

“There he is,” Kevin's voice brought her back to the present, the reason for their trip, Nick. She looked in the direction he was indicating and saw Nick walking quickly down the street. Had he already seen them?

“Did he see us?” She asked, she hadn't been looking and she hoped Kevin noticed.

“I don't think so,” He pulled her towards the direction Nick went and picked up his pace slightly. “We need to be quick, but not give the appearance that we are following.”

Julie picked up her pace, but she still felt like she was jogging to keep up. Two of her steps equaled one of Kevin's.

“Shit,” Julie cursed as she realized the heel of her shoe broke. “Kevin keep following him, I have to stop for a minute.” She watched as Kevin picked his pace up to keep up with Nick.

“Dammit,” Julie cursed again as she pulled off her shoe and looked at it. Sighing she looked around, she wasn't sure how she would replace the shoes, perhaps she could find a store that sold shoes. She remembered to bring some German currency from the early twentieth century with her.

Before Julie could walk towards any of the buildings she felt herself being pulled backwards down the alley nearby.

“I can't believe it,” Steph's cold voice came from behind, sending shivers down her spine. She quickly turned around to face Nick's female counterpart.

“I always knew you were still alive but Nick wouldn't believe me. No worries though, I will kill you now and take your lifeless body to him to show him you are really dead this time.” She grabbed Julie's wrist and pulled out a knife. Julie wrenched her arm free and did the only thing she could think, she threw her shoe at her.

The shoe hit Steph on the side of her head, Julie used this time to start running back down the alley that she had been drug down. Steph was faster than Julie anticipated. Before she could make it out of the alley, the other woman grabbed the knot of hair on the back of Julie's head and pulled her to the ground.

Steph placed her foot on Julie's chest and pressed down. “Stay down,” she smirked.

Before she knew what was happening, Steph was falling to the ground. Julie had managed to grab her foot and pull her down. Julie noticed the other woman's head hit the ground pretty hard but it still didn't stop her. STeph was on her feet all too soon for Julie's liking.

As Steph approached, Julie took the opportunity to punch the woman's gut. It was a weak hit, Julie knew it as soon as her fist collided.

“Is that all you got?” Steph laughed at her, overconfident in her abilities. Julie took this moment to knock Steph's hand away, knocking the knife out of her hand.

Steph charged Julie again, with no weapon, she attempted to hit Julie with her fists. She was just as skilled as Julie fighting and the punches, though they hurt, were not enough to render Julie incapacitated. Steph did, however, manage to back Julie up against a wall.

Julie grabbed hold of Steph's hair and attempted to pull her away, but it did nothing. Julie really needed to learn how to fight if she made it through this. Steph managed to kick her foot up into Julie's stomach, knocking the wind out of her. Julie collapsed to the ground unable to take in any air. She felt terrified as she opened her mouth in a vain attempt to pull oxygen into her lungs again.

She watched as Steph sauntered over to where the knife was laying and pick it up. Julie watched the other woman approach her, slowly her lungs started to fill with air but she still felt like she was struggling to breath. As she relaxed, more air filled her lungs and her fingers groped around behind her looking for something, anything. Finally, they wrapped around something cold and round.

Steph had reached Julie before her breath finally recovered. Steph had hold of her hair again, pulling it back to reveal her neck. Julie kept her eyes on the other woman, hoping she would move just a little closer before jamming the knife into her.

Julie smirked as Steph put her face right above hers with her own taunting smirk. “Nick is going to reward me for this,” She hissed.

“Doubtful,” Julie retorted as she swung whatever it was she had at Steph's face. Steph reeled backwards and stumbled to the ground. Her free hand covering her face, the other hand still clutching the knife. Julie looked in her hands, a crowbar, how lucky for her.

“Bitch,” Steph spat as she attempted to stand. Julie didn't give her much of a chance as she brought the crowbar down on the hand clutching the knife. Julie was pretty sure she heard something crack in Steph's wrist as she dropped the knife and pulled her injured hand closer. Julie quickly kicked the knife away then, as indecent as it probably looked, she shoved her hand up her dress and into the belt on her thigh pulling out a pair of handcuffs.

She smiled to herself as she remembered Kevin giving her a hard time for deciding to bring a pair of handcuffs.

“Do you expect to read him his Miranda Rights too?” Kevin had asked her in a playful tone.

Grabbing the hand Steph still had covering her face, Julie did her best to pull her towards a pipe attached to the building. She had no idea what it was, she was just glad it was there. Slapping the cuffs on Steph she took a step back to assess the damage to her opponent.

Steph's cheek was developing a bruise quickly and her eye was swollen shut. Blood was coming out of the corner of her mouth, probably from a missing tooth. The woman cradled her free hand in her lap and Julie noticed that she was unable to move that one at all.

“I'm sorry, but you gave me no choice,” Julie remarked. “I'll come back for you after we have Nick and we will take you back with us.”

Steph ignored her and averted her face from Julie.

Julie turned to walk away noting now that she was only wearing one shoe. She looked at Steph's feet and wondered what size she wore.

Julie emerged from the alleyway a short time later, a brand new pair of shoes on her feet. She looked up and down the street trying to remember the direction Kevin was moving in last. Figuring out the direction he went in, Julie moved in that direction off to find Kevin and ultimately, Nick.