- Text Size +

 

Nick looked over his shoulder at Cat as he and Lore began to leave the club. “Are you sure it’s cool to just leave her?” He knew a lot of girls usually went to clubs with pacts of not letting the other do something stupid, leave with an idiot, etc. He was honestly worried about the other girl, now, since they had mentioned the hotel, which meant they were in unfamiliar surroundings.

Nick had to stop himself because he quickly realized if it was the other girl with him right now, he wouldn’t even be bothering with those thoughts, he would be taking Cat to his bus, show her around, drive someplace romantic, and…

And what? He wasn’t a kid anymore, he didn’t need to sleep with girls the first night, was that what he was really going to do if Cat were dragging him out of the club?

He looked at the redhead who was still holding his hand and smiled, “Hungry?”

Lore glanced up at him, “Honestly? Starving, we haven’t eaten anything since breakfast. The one chance we had to eat, we forgot.” She chuckled softly, “I honestly didn’t even realize I was hungry until you said something.”

Nick nodded softly, “All right, where would you like to go?” he asked, smiling as she explained the lack of food. He’d forgotten what it was like to have a normal conversation with someone, and not have them screaming and asking for a picture or his baby.

Lore looked at her watch and frowned, “What’s open at two in the morning, aside from Taco Bell?”

Nick laughed softly, “What’s wrong with Taco Bell?” he asked, leading her to a town car, holding the door open for her.

“Nothing, except when they are about to close and the food is all congealed and nasty,” she explained, climbing in.

“All right, no Taco Bell,” he smiled. “Trust me?”

“Of course not, I only met you tonight. How do I know you’re not a serial killer rockstar that kills a different girl in every town?” Lore said seriously.

Nick gave a hearty laugh and realized she wasn’t laughing, “Oh, umm, I’m sure after 18 years of touring, the police would have figured out the pattern and pinpointed the tour at least, and let’s be honest: I’m not smart enough to frame anyone else for my dirty work,” he said, grinning over at her.

“Well, yeah, you have a point,” she said, adjusting her glasses. “So, no, I don’t trust you, but yes, I’m hungry. Do what you will- but you can’t kill me, Cat is a police officer, and she knows I left with you,” Lore said, completely straight faced.

Nick nodded, “Fair enough.” He smiled and pulled out his phone, texting Justin, the tour photographer, and asking where he could go to eat. His phone chirped a few seconds later and Nick smiled, showing Lore the text.

Anywhere, you’re Nick Fucking Carter, remember? Tell me where you want to eat and I’ll make it happen, you know I always do.

“So, Lore, where do you want to eat?” Nick asked, hitting the reply.

Lore shook her head no, “Star power doesn’t impress me, where’s the closest Denny’s?” she asked, figuring they were pretty much all open 24 hours.

Nick sent a quick response to Justin, letting him know star power was unnecessary before looking at the driver, “Hey, mind taking us to Denny’s?” he asked politely.

The driver nodded, and soon the car was on its way to the late night restaurant.

“So star power doesn’t impress you, what does?” Nick asked, curious.

Lore shrugged softly, “Sincerity, I suppose. I mean, it’s hard to fake sincerity, and I like people who aren’t afraid to be themselves.” She looked over at him, “Why?”

Nick shrugged and glanced out the window, knowing he was the farthest from sincere with this girl. The only thing he was sincere about was he sincerely wanted to use her to get her friend Cat to open up to him. He looked back at her, “Honestly? Most girls I meet on the tour are all after my star power. They want the opportunity to throw a glass of water at a waiter and know nothing will be done because I am Nick Carter. They want me to call a restaurant and make them open just for us at two in the morning. It gets old, but that’s what I’m used to.”

Lore nodded softly, “Star power is like Spiderman. Great power comes with great responsibility. You shouldn’t use your power just to make waiters come back to a restaurant at two just to cook you a couple dishes when they are trying to see their kids for a few seconds while they sleep. Abusing your star power just makes you look like an ass hole. Star power can be used for good and not evil, you know,” she finished, looking at him.

“Oh yeah?” He grinned, “What is this good you are speaking of?”

“Use your power to bring light to injustices. Whatever your cause celeb is, make people know about it. Volunteer, lend your name to events, show up at events, donate money, have charity challenges, whatever you can do, do it for good,” she said, suddenly feeling stupid. “I mean, I know you have your ocean charity, but what have you done for it lately?”

Nick looked and felt like he’d been slapped. “Nothing since before I sobered up,” he admitted after a few seconds.

“Sorry,” Lore said softly, looking down at her lap.

“Don’t be, you’re absolutely right about star power. You’re also right that I should be doing more.” He looked over at her and offered her probably the first sincere smile of the night. “Now, if I’m not mistaken, there’s food to be had,” he said, pointing out the window as they pulled into a parking spot of Denny’s.

“Thank God, I’m starving!” she said, waiting until the car had parked before climbing out and heading inside with Nick following behind her.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry this took so long... Hope you're still enjoying it!