- Text Size +

Lore groaned softly around noon the next day. Her phone was chirping incessantly and she finally reached for it, opening just one eye. Her vision was blurry and she started slapping around the nightstand for her glasses, holding them up so she could read the text message.

“Good morning, red. What are you and cat up to 2day?”

It was from Nick. She smiled softly and threw a pillow at Cat to wake her up. “Nick wants to know what we’re doing today,” she said when her friend fell off the bed.

Cat rubbed her ass and peaked over the bed at her friend, “Why does he care? You guys abandoned me last night, so why does he want to know what I’m doing? Besides, shouldn’t we be checking out and driving home?”

Lore sighed, knowing her friend was right. She sent Nick a quick text, “Checking out then heading back home. You?”

Cat climbed in the shower, taking a quick one before she threw all her stuff in her bags, “I’m going to try and make sure we’re not charged another day for over sleeping…” she said and started to take her bags out to the car and plead with the concierge.

Lore stayed back, taking her time to get ready. She hadn’t gotten back to the hotel until nearly six in the morning, and she was still exhausted. The adrenaline had worn off and now all she had were memories of the concert and meeting Nick. And text messages from Nick.

She heard her phone chirp again and went to see what he said, disappointed when it was just Cat, “No charge for checking out late. Thank God I’m cute!”

Lore rolled her eyes, not responding before she jumped in the shower. She met her friend about 30 minutes later, “Shall we?” she asked, starting towards the car.

Cat nodded and heard her friends phone chirp again. “What’s he want this time?” she asked, reaching for her car keys.

Lore checked her phone quickly, “Lunch before we go. Are you okay with that?”

“If I have to be,” Cat responded. “Where are we going then?” she asked, reaching for her Tomtom, waiting on Lore to tell her the address so she could plug it in.

Lore sent a quick text to Nick, waiting for a reply. When she got it, she told Cat the address and the two girls were soon off to find the restaurant. Cat drove in silence, not wanting to admit she was upset her friend had left her at the club last night. Yes, she knew she was being a bitch, but really, celebrities thought they owned the world and everyone should just fall to the ground and kiss their feet. Cat was the last person to even think about doing that, and she thought her friend was better than that, too.

“So what happened between you and Nick last night?” she finally asked. She’d been asleep when her friend got back to the hotel, so hadn’t heard anything.

“We just went to get some food,” Lore said honestly. “We were at the restaurant for over 3 hours, talking. He’s a nice guy, you know.” Lore looked at her friend, “You should have come along. You would have enjoyed it.”

Cat shrugged softly, “I like their music, but I don’t want to get to know them.”

“Liar, growing up, that’s all you dreamed of!” Lore laughed.

“Yeah, and I grew up. We’ve been listening to them for what, fifteen years? What if something happens that proves they’re really assholes, then we don’t listen to their music ever again? I’d rather dream about what they’re like than know for sure.” Cat said softly.

Lore shrugged, “Well that’s you. I know for a fact that Nick is a good guy-“

“Based on one meal… It could all be an act,” Cat said.

“I will not let you ruin this for me,” Lore said, looking at her friend. “He’s a great guy and if you drop a few of your walls, you might see that.”

Cat sighed and parked in a spot before turning her engine off, “Ok, I will try… for you…” she said before climbing out of the car and heading inside. She let Lore look around for Nick, as she was too busy trying to see where the nearest exits were, just in case she needed to drag her friend out for a quick escape.

Lore raised her hand to Nick and waved when she spotted him and started towards the table, looking back at Cat, “He’s over there.”

Cat nodded and headed over with her friend, surprised as Nick stood up and reached to hold Lore’s chair for her. She would not have assumed he was such a gentleman, so maybe there was more to him than just being a spoiled celebrity. She sat down as Nick held her own chair for her, looking over at Lore, not sure what to say.

“Sleep well?” Lore asked Nick as she reached for her menu.

Nick nodded, “Yeah, it was a decent night’s sleep. What about you ladies?”

“Like a baby. I even slept through her snores,” Cat said, her face buried in the menu.

Lore rolled her eyes before glancing at Nick, noticing the smirk on his face. “Yeah, when I finally got into bed, I did.” She smiled softly before deciding what she wanted and closed her menu.

The waitress came around for all of their orders, and Nick tried to keep the conversation running smooth. He tried not to be too conspicuous in the fact he was trying to get to know Cat more since he’d spent last night getting to know Lore. At least he remembered her name this time. He did, however, try to make sure Lore was still a part of the conversation, not wanting to leave her out.

When the meal was finally over, Nick stood up and gave Lore a hug, then turned to shake Cat’s hand. “We should all hang out again,” he grinned.

“Yeah, sure, call us and we’ll hop in our private jet and meet you wherever you are,” Cat said, putting her purse over her shoulder. She noticed the glare from Lore and sighed, “I’m sorry, you have no idea how long we were saving up for this road trip, who knows the next time we will be able to go anywhere.” She hoped the explanation didn’t sound so bitchy and looked at Lore.

“Maybe next time you’re in Denver,”Lore suggested. “Unless it’s been so long you’ve forgotten about us,” she chuckled.

“Trust me, I could never forget you ladies. I honestly don’t know the next time I’ll be in Denver, but I’ll make sure my management team gets me there soon. Lore, I’ll be in touch,” he smiled, hugging her again. He then reached for Cat’s phone, “Just in case she forgets to text me sometimes, you can, too,” he said, plugging his number into Cat’s phone, then quickly sent himself a text.

Cat shrugged softly, not wanting to say something else rude and earn the silent treatment from Lore for the ten hour drive home. “Thanks,” was all she said before pocketing her phone. She turned to Lore, “We should get going, or we’re both going to miss work tomorrow.”

Lore nodded and waved to Nick before starting towards the door. “See? He’s not that bad,” she said. She hoped her friend had a good time, but was glad that Nick had asked them to go to lunch. She felt like she might just be able to be friends with him, if he kept little things like that up.

“Of course he’s not, he’s just like any other normal guy with millions of dollars,” Cat said, climbing into the car and starting it up before starting the long drive home.