- Text Size +

Hey Stranger, Nick texted to Cat. It had been a week since he had met the girls and he hadn’t heard from Cat. Not that he was surprised, mind you. He had spoken to Laurie in some form or another pretty much every day, and he had to admit, he was enjoying their talks more and more.

But there was still something about Cat that intrigued him, and he wanted to find out what.

Who’s this? Was the response he got a few minutes later.

Nick, he sent back quickly. He held his phone, watching the screen, waiting for the reply. When the screen went black a minute later, he quickly hit a button, turning it back on. The pattern repeated several times before his phone finally chirped, alerting him to a new text.

Hey man, whatcha doin?

Nick sighed in frustration, seeing the text from AJ.

About to go golfing, he replied. It was their first real day off in almost two weeks- no travel, no shows, no interviews, just doing whatever they each wanted to do for the day.

Care for some company? Came the quick reply. Nick knew that meant he was bored, otherwise it would have taken AJ almost an hour to get back to him.

Love some, leaving in thirty.

See you downstairs, then, AJ sent back.

Nick set his phone down, giving up on hearing from Cat. He changed into some khaki’s and polo shirt before grabbing a hat and calling the tour manager. He requested that his and AJ’s clubs be found and a van be called.

His phone finally chirped, letting him know he had a new text.

Nick who? was Cat’s reply.

Carter… we met a week ago? He chuckled, wondering if meeting him was really that terrible that the girl had blocked out the memory.

Oh, right, was all she sent back.

Nick sighed again. She definitely wasn’t making this easy.

How’ve you been doing? He replied, hoping she would send back a reply he could work with and get a conversation going.

Busy. Did you need something?

Nope. Nick rubbed his forehead in frustration as he tried to figure out where to go from there.

I was just checking in on you and Laurie, he sent back, pretty much giving up.

Her name is spelled Lore, she corrected him.

Right, thanks. He hit the reply button then put his phone away, deciding he had enough for now. He gathered his wallet and slipped on his shoes, making his way downstairs to meet Jay. Maybe he would have a little perspective.

The guys both climbed in the van that would take them to the golf course. Nick glanced over at AJ, wondering how to start the conversation. Finally, he cleared his throat, “How’s Rochelle?”

“Oh, she’s great. She’s spending the week with her family and says she’s all ready going insane,” AJ laughed. “I don’t know if she’s talking about the fact she’s not doing anything productive, really, or if her mom is just that crazy,” he smirked.

Nick nodded softly, “Families can be tough to deal with sometimes.”

AJ nodded, knowing his friends’ family history well. “Yeah, so what’s up with you?” he asked.

Nick shrugged, looking out the window. “I got myself into a situation, Jay. I know what I should do, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.”

“Wow, I’ve never heard you refer to anything as a ‘situation.’ This must be serious,” he teased. In reality, it seemed like everything was a situation to the youngest Backstreet Boy. “Come on, man, clue me in.”

Nick scowled, knowing his friend was making fun of him. He figured he really needed his friends’ advice, though, so he ignored the taunting. “I met a girl,” he started. He glanced at AJ, who was grinning like an idiot. “What?” he asked, obviously irritated.

“I knew it had to do with a girl,” he smirked. “Continue…”

Nick rolled his eyes and drew another deep breath. “Well, this girl looks amazing. She’s not my usual type, but with how she carried herself, I just couldn’t help but notice her.”

“And how did you meet said girl?” AJ asked, needing all the details.

“I actually noticed her in the audience, then she came to one of the after parties with her friend,” Nick explained. “Here’s the thing: She hates all things boy band, but her friend-“

“Is her friend cute?” AJ interrupted.

“Yes, her friend is probably more my type, if I’m honest, but again, there’s something about the girl…”

“So what’s the problem?” AJ asked.

“Well, I thought it would be smart to get to know her if I schmoozed up to her friend,” Nick started.

“But?” AJ prompted.

“But it’s been a week, and the girl still wants nothing to do with me,” Nick confessed to his friend.

“And the other girl? The one who’s more your type?”

“She and I talk almost every day,” Nick said.

“Well it sounds complicated enough, that’s for sure. You really know how to get yourself into sticky situations, Nicky,” AJ said as the van pulled up outside the golf course.

Nick scowled at the nickname the others wouldn’t let him outgrow. He climbed out and checked in, paying for their round as well as a caddy to help them navigate the course. As they were walking to the first green, Nick looked over at AJ, “So what should I do?”

“Well, first of all, what do you think you should do?” he asked, since the younger man had all ready said he knew what he should do.

“Forget about them both- plenty of fish, ya know?” Nick asked.

AJ nodded, “Yeah, I know. So why isn’t that an option?”

“I don’t want a jaded fan, I mean there’s no harm in talking with a fan, right? And we can’t afford any more bad press, even if it’s a fan bad mouthing us. There’s all ready that bsbsecrets website out there, they don’t need another pissed off fan adding to their shit. Then there’s her friend. I honestly can’t stop thinking about her. Every time I try, Lore texts me or emails me, and there’s her friend again, front of my mind,” Nick explained, sounding frustrated.

“So, tell me again, how did you meet these two girls, exactly?” AJ asked, thinking Nick had left something out.

Nick told him all the details about asking Cat into the VIP area, but Lore being the one who showed up instead, and how he thought if he and Lore became friends, then he could get to know Cat as well.

“So you seriously thought you could use one to get to the other?” AJ asked, simplifying the story.

Nick nodded, “Yeah, pretty much.”

AJ shook his head no, “Didn’t I teach you better than that? You can’t use friends, Nick. Chicks before dicks. Bro’s before hoe’s. It’s a rule. When you start talking to one, you pretty much give up on the other. Hate to say it, but you screwed yourself as soon as you started talking to her friend.” He patted his friend on the back before going to tee off. “Sorry, buddy,” he said before taking a swing.

Nick knew his friend was right, but didn’t want to believe it. He waited patiently, then when AJ came back, he looked at his friend, “I see what you’re saying, AJ, but-“

“Not buts,” AJ interrupted. “You can either take the easy road and keep talking to the friend you’ve spoken to daily, and have at least a new friend that could become more; or pursue the other and lose them both and have your name plastered all over bsbsecrets by the both of ‘em. It’s up to you, though, man,” AJ said, stepping back so his friend could take a shot.

Nick sighed yet again before teeing off, trying to concentrate on the game and not on his predicament.