- Text Size +
“Thank you very much, Nick.” Jessica was giggling like a teenager while staring at her camera. Brian agreed to have a photo with her an hour ago.

“You’re lucky Baylee will be discharged tomorrow, so the Littrells are in a good mood. Got any news for us?”

“Well, my friend said he was already unconscious when he reached the hospital, but according to the paramedic’s report, he was still conscious when they responded to the scene.”

“And?”

“He kept on asking questions like what happened and where was he. He complained about the terrible pain on his head, like it was going to explode anytime. He couldn’t answer any of the paramedic’s basic questions like what was his name, what was he doing in the Monroe street. He seemed very lost and disoriented. The last word he said was Lizzy. He called out that name twice before he became unconscious.”

I looked at Johnny when he didn’t react after a few seconds. He was looking out the window and seemed pre-occupied.

“At first, the paramedic thought he might have an amnesia due to the head injury, but because he remembered someone named Lizzy, they ruled out amnesia. They said maybe he just experienced temporary shock due to the accident.”

“I can see her face in my mind, but I can’t remember who she is. She has a shoulder length blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes and a captivating smile. I feel like I know her all my life.”

“Johnny, try to remember who she is.”

“I’m trying… but my head hurts!”

“It’s okay, buddy. Have a rest for now, and try again later.”

“They can still feel pain?” Jessica whispered as if Johnny won’t hear her.

“Yes. They’re still very much like us, they can feel all kinds of emotions.”

“Jessica, you’re still here?” The man on white uniform that Johnny was following when I first saw him approached our table.

“Hey, Ryan. What’s up? Lunch break already?” She asked while looking at the tray full of food that the guy was holding.

Ryan looked at me like I was an alien from the outer space.

“You looked familiar.”

“This is Nick Carter, a friend of mine. He was visiting a friend’s son, so we decided to catch up. Nick, this is Ryan, he works morning shift at the morgue.”

“Hi, Ryan.” I offered my hand and he gladly accepted.

“I didn’t know you are friends with a celebrity, Jessica.” He patted Jessica’s shoulder then he turned to me. “Your band is my wife’s favorite. She’s crazy about that winking Latino.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. He said it like he was very disgusted with Howie. “I’ll let Howie know.”

“Oh by the way, Jessica, I have good news. I think Mr. Monroe would be picked up by his relatives this afternoon or tomorrow morning.”

I saw Johnny’s eyes widened. He looked excited and yet scared.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, the police was here two hours ago and asked me to start working on the release paper. They have already contacted Mrs. Elizabeth Scott, his wife, and she confirmed that she will be here as soon as she gets a plane ticket.” Ryan placed his tray on our table and sat on the vacant chair beside Jessica.

“Plane ticket?”

“Yes. Mr. Monroe, I mean, Mr. Vincent Scott is from Los Angeles.”

“How did you find out?”

“The police arrested a thief this morning, and Mr. Scott’s wallet is one of the things they recovered from his backpack. The thief took Mr. Scott’s wallet before the accident.” Ryan started eating his lunch, oblivious on how important the things he just said.

“Thanks, Ryan.”

“I wrote everything on the report book, just in case we won’t have time for proper endorsement later.”

“Ok, thank you. Shall we go, Nick?”

“Okay. Nice to meet you, Ryan.”

“Can I have picture with you, please? I think my wife will freak out later.” He grinned.

Jessica took a picture of us and I wrote a small note for his wife on a tissue paper. I promised his wife that I will send her Howie’s autograph through Jessica.

~~~~~~

“Are you okay?”

Johnny hasn’t said a word since we met Ryan in the cafeteria ten hours ago. He just stared at the walls as his facial expression changed. He looked sad, happy, scared, worried, and excited.

“Something doesn’t feel right. I feel like Lizzy is mad at me for something terrible that I did. My heart is breaking just thinking of Lizzy, I think I hurt her.”

“All those questions will be answered soon. Don’t worry too much, buddy.”

“Coffee, Nick?” Jessica handed me a cup of coffee from the hospital’s cafeteria. I’ve decided to stay with Johnny just in case his wife will arrive tonight.

“Thanks, Jess.”

“Does Brian know you’re still here?”

“In the hospital, no. In Atlanta, yes. My flight back to LA is tomorrow afternoon.”

“Okay. I called up a friend from the nurse station of pediatric section, and she said the Littrells are asleep.”

Jessica and I chatted the night away while the anxious Johnny kept pacing in the room. One hour before Jessica’s shift ends, a gray haired woman approached the desk.

“Hello. I’m Mrs. Scott and I’m here to pick up Vince’s body.” Her eyes were swollen from hours of crying.

“You’re Mrs. Elizabeth Scott?” Jessica asked to confirm. She looked way older to be Vincent’s wife.

“No, Amy Scott.”

“Mom?” Johnny went outside the reception when he heard someone came. He has spent the last two hours beside his body.

“I’m his mother.”

“You remember her?” I quickly ran to Johnny’s side and asked in a low voice.

“Yes. She’s my mother, but where is Lizzy?”

“Mrs. Scott, I hope you don’t mind me asking but where is his wife? According to the police she’s the one who will pick him up.”

“She changed her mind. They separated almost four months ago, and my son has filed for divorce. Since then they haven’t talked to each other, and Lizzy doesn’t want to see him. Am I allowed to pick up my son or you need Lizzy?”

“Of course, Ma’am. Please have a seat and I’ll start processing the papers.”

“Can I see him?”

“Mr. Carter, please accompany Mrs. Scott inside. Ma’am, I’m giving you just five minutes and then you have to come back here and wait for us to process the papers.”

I was surprised when Jessica told me to accompany Mrs. Scott inside, but when she winked at me, I knew she was giving me, Vincent and his mother a chance to talk. I nodded.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for still reading! :)