- Text Size +
"Violet, he's not your Daddy." Lizzy sighed before she turned to me. "I'm sorry, he hasn't been around for so long our daughter might have forgotten what he looked like, and assume he was you."

"Of course, Mommy, that's Mr. Nick." The little girl pointed her index finger at me. "He's Daddy's friend. Daddy is behind him, can't you see him, Mom?"

"How did you know his name?" Lizzy's forehead was creased with confusion

"Daddy told me." Violet replied proudly

"Stop this non-sense, Violet. Go back inside and finish your food." Lizzy spoke a little louder but I could feel she was not mad, she was worried about Violet.

"After I finish my food, can Daddy and I play in my room? I missed him, Mom."

"I said--"

"Mrs. Scott, we really need to talk. Please let Violet go to her room for a while." She hesitated for a moment but finally nodded to Violet, and opened the door a bit wider so I could come in. She probably sensed the seriousness and urgency in my voice. "Thank you."

Vince motioned to me that he will just be upstairs in case I need him. He was too happy and excited to care about what I would tell his wife.

"What's going on?"

"Mrs. Scott, I won't beat around the bush, and get direct to the point. I can see spirits or ghosts, and that's why I'm here. Your husband asked me to help him finished whatever that needs to be done. Vince suffered temporary memory loss before he died, so he cannot remember everything."

"What the hell are you talking about? And if whatever you're saying is true, what does he want from me? Oh yeah, maybe he forgot about his new partner and thought we're still together. Is that it?"

I didn't know what to say because she was probably right.

"Your name was the last thing he said. He called you twice before he lost consciousness, and he died on the way to the hospital."

"You're just making that up."

"You can double check with the hospital. I'm pretty sure that was part of the paramedics' report."

We both looked up when we heard Violet's loud giggles.

"She could see him." I confirmed what she was thinking.

She took a deep breath and sighed when she heard someone knocking at the door.

"What's with the unwelcome visitors today? Call his mom, I know nothing about the funeral plans."

"I know. I just want to say I'm sorry." A brunette woman probably the same age as Lizzy was standing at the door, gripping her bag tight. She looked like she would pass out any minute.

"For taking my husband away and breaking our little family apart?"

"Yes, and for being partly responsible to his death."

"What do you mean?"

"Can I come in?"

"Okay." Lizzy stepped aside and motioned for the woman to get inside. "This is Nick, Vince's friend. Nick, this is Lara, Vince's girlfriend." I saw the pain in Lizzy's eyes when she mentioned the word girlfriend. Lara just nodded her head and gave me a small smile. She followed Lizzy in the living room and sat in the sofa.

"Elizabeth, you probably might not be able to forgive me, but I should try. Vince wanted to go back to you 3 months ago. Remember when you and Violet bumped into him in New York when you were visiting your parents? It was not accidental, he planned it. He was following you and Violet, he didn't want it to be just a one phone call asking if you and him could get back together. He wanted to court you again and prove he is worthy of one more chance."

"But, he loves you."

"No. I don't think so. When Vince got promoted as Senior Sales Manager, he became so overwhelmed of all the women in top management position. He became obsessed with the thought that a woman can have a successful career even if she's married. Most of our bosses are married women with children and he thought they can balance work and life."

"That's why he kept on insisting for me to work again. But, Violet is so young, I just can't leave her in day care all day."

"And, he didn't understand that. Then, we became closer due to working long hours and staying late in the office. Next thing we know we wanted to live together. He was happy that we get to go to work every morning together, that we talk about work over lunch, coffee or dinner. But everything changed after a couple of months, he grew tired of eating chinese take away for dinner, of taking our laundry to a laundry shop, of hiring people to clean our house, etc. He wanted me to do all the things that you do for him. But, I couldn't find time. I am always exhausted by the end of the day due to work. He missed you. He missed the way you take care of him. So, he tried to break up with me, but my pride get in the way. I told him I will tell our superiors about our relationship if he leave me. Most of our colleagues knew about us, but the higher management didn't. He could lose his job if they find out that we have a relationship while he is still married to you."

Lara wiped her tears, she was trying hard to be strong.

"Vince can't afford to lose his job, he said what's the use of going back to you and Violet if he cannot provide you the things you need and want. I took a leave and went to Atlanta without informing Vince, but he was able to follow me there. He wanted us to talk, he wanted to convince me to let him go."

"You are the reason why he was in Atlanta?"

"Yes, and the reason why he was in Monroe Street. He was crossing the street into my house." She finally broke down. "I wasn't home when that happened, but I saw it in the evening news. I didn't know what to do, I wanted to come forward and provide his identification but I was so scared. You see, I am also married. Vince knew about this. My husband is a marine deployed in Middle East. My family and his family are in Atlanta, and I didn't want them to find out about my affair with Vince. I am so selfish and I am really sorry."

"You're right, Lara. I will not be able to forgive you. Not in this lifetime. I'll appreciate it if you can please leave my house now!"

Lara didn't say a word. She stood up and quietly walked towards the door. Lizzy ran to the bathroom and slammed the door. I did not follow her as I knew she needed to be alone.

"I remember everything now." I looked up and saw Vince at the stairs, smiling.

"That's good. You heard everything Lara said?"

"Yes. I was such a fool, wasn't I? I left Lizzy for someone like Lara."

"No judgment here, man."

"Do you think Lizzy will be okay?"

"In time, yes. Violet will give her all the strength she needs to move on. And now that she knows the truth, I think she can forgive you. I can see that she still loves you."

"Hmmm, that's nice to know." Vince grinned wickedly. His facial expression somehow changed.

"Do you see the light now, Vince? Or do you still need me to help you talk to your wife?"

"Do you mean that shiny bright light at the kitchen door?" He pointed at it and smiled "It's really beautiful, Nick."

"It's time for you to go, man. I promise, I'll check on Lizzy and Violet sometimes."

"Okay." Vince turned around and started climbing the stairs.

"Where are you going?"

"To my daughter's room. I told her I just needed to go to the bathroom and will be back in five minutes. I don't want to keep her waiting."

"But, Vince you need to cross over. You don't belong here anymore."

"Nick, this is right where I belong. My wife and daughter needs me, and I can't just leave them again." He was suddenly behind me and whispering into my ears. I could feel the hatred radiating from him. "Have you been to the other side, Nick? Have you seen what it looks like there? Can you guarantee me that I would be happy there?"

I wanted to say yes, and promised him good things so he would cross over. But, I know nothing about the other side.

"Someone visited me a while ago while you were busy listening to my life story. He told me I can stay here and take care of my daughter like how I am supposed to do if that stupid driver didn't claim my life. And, that's what I will do, Nick, and you can't do anything about it. Thanks for your help, anyway."

I didn't know what else to say. I wanted to fight for Vince, but the energy coming from Violet's room was too much for me to handle.

"And one more thing, I don't understand why you are convincing the dead people to cross over when you don't even know what's waiting for them there. Have you even consider that they are suffering there and it's all because of you?" He laughed and disappeared.