- Text Size +
“Really?” Nick said.
“Look at the note.”AJ handed him the napkin.
Reading over it he laughed.”So we're not the only scheming friends tonight.”
“Looks like it but with any luck, I'll be hooking up with the redhead.”
“Times like these I wish I was single.”
“Got someone in your sights Age?” Brian's hand landed on AJ's shoulder.
“Um..yeah.” Stuffing the napkin in his pocket.
“Which one?”
“The redhead.”
“Nice.”His gaze moving briefly toward her friend whom was leaving the table with another man.
“See something YOU like B?” Nick said.
“Maybe.”
“Maybe?”
“There's a whole sea of them out there tonight. Let me look a little.”
“You sure have changed your tune since we came in,”AJ commented.
“I'm just keeping an open mind is all.”
“Call it what you want Bri, it's all good.”

So an hour and a few random dance partners later, Cassie scooted into the booth with Rebeca.
“I see you're having a good time.”
“Y'know, I am. I'm sorry I made such a big deal. Where's Ellen?”
“You rang?” She scooted in on the other side of Rebeca.
“I just wanted to thank you guys for getting me out of the house. I do have a DVR after all.”
The waitress interrupted their round of laughter.”Excuse me miss, but there's a gentleman over there that would like to buy you a drink.”
“Okay,”Cassie giggled.
“Well if you don't want it.”
She started walking away.”Hold on. Which one is he?”Cassie said.
She stepped back and nodded in his direction. Rebeca nearly dropped her drink and Cassie's heart felt like it was going to burst right out of her chest it was beating so fast. In spite of that, she remained cool.
All Ellen could think was oh shit! Houston, we have a problem!
Still thinking it was a joke, Cassie said,”Okay then, bring me a frozen strawberry daquiri please.”
The waitress returned with her drink and Cassie watched as he approached. Mr. Friday Night Date man was standing right at the edge of their table.
“Would you mind if I join you ladies?”
“No problem here. I was just leaving,”Ellen replied and left the booth.
“Something I said?” He looked at Cassie.
“Most likely not. She had A.D.D most days,”Cassie replied. Okay, this little black dress had a power she didn't know it had. It actually gave her confidence because she'd only had two drinks and she was still pretty aware of what was going on after that.”Have a seat.”
Setting his drink on the table, he slid in next to Cassie.”Hi.”
“Hi,”Cassie smiled.”You have a name.”
“Only if you do.”
She had to be dreaming because he really couldn't be here. Be this charming.”Cassie and my silent friend here is Rebeca.”
“Donnie. It's nice to meet you both but especially you.”His hand slid casually over Cassie's. Okay. This was real. You can do this.
“So I have to ask, why me?”
“Why not? But if you need a reason, because you were the only girl on that dance floor that looked like she was truly enjoying herself.”
“Well you have my friends to thank for that.”
“I will.” Leaning in, he said,”But right now I just want to get to know you and what's under that little black dress.”
Ohmigod! How did she respond to that.”Hold that thought. Becca? A word.”Nudging her friend to scoot out the opposite side of thebooth. Rebeca started moving.”I'll be right back.” Once they were out of his range, she said to her friend,”Why are you still at that table?”
“Because you need a chaperone,”Rebeca said as she sipped on the drink she'd brought with.
“I thought the whole point was to get me a man and voila! There's one that's very interested right now if you haven't ruined it for me already.”
Rebeca couldn't argue that they had a guy already lined up for. She sighed.”Fine. I'll leave you with Mr. Wonderful but one false move and I'm back.”
“Thank you.” She returned to the table and slipped back in next to him.
“Everything okay?”He said.
“It is now.”




Ellen approached AJ and said,” Hi. Ellen. Conspirator of dating friends.” She had made sure the cute little guy wasn't around.
“AJ. Schemer extraordinare.”
“We have trouble Houston.”
“I don't understand.”
Directing his attention toward the table.So there was another guy. There'd been guys over the course of time they'd been there. She hadn't reeled any of them in.”Just another guy. It can be taken care of.”
“I don't think you get this. Let me explain. We were trying to get Cassie out of the house from her 'Friday night date' and her 'Friday night date' showed up here.”
“Oh.”
“I might have an idea,”Rebeca appeared in front of them.
“Share with the class.”
“Have Brian meet him on the patio and you have Cassie meet you on the patio in five minutes. Well from the time you find them that is.”
“I like that,”AJ replied.”And you are?”
“I'm Rebeca. Ellen's partner in crime.”
“Nice to meet you. Okay. How are we gonna know when it's a go?”
Rebeca pulled her cell phone out and suggested,”Why don't we text you when we're good to go?”
“You girls are way too good at this stuff.”
“It's what we do best,”Ellen quipped.
Hope that's not all you do well he smiled back at her. After getting everything solidified, they separated and put the plan into action. Rebeca text AJ on her end.”It's a go here. U?”
“Got it here. Operation hookup is a go! :-)” Praying it would work.


Brian pulled his cell phone out and was about to text Nick when she came onto the patio. He really was going to ream Nick but he watched her soft brown curls being mussed by the wind. And that little black dress! It was short but not as short as he'd thought when watching her from across the bar. It covered what it needed to but didn't leave anything to the imagination where it hugged her body. She seemed so unaware of his attention. He turned it back to his phone but not before she looked up and smiled at him as she leaned against the wall surrounding the area.
Her eyes turned toward the door. She was so gonna kill them for dragging her away from him. So what if he had turned out to be like every other guy in there with only one thing on his mind? She could live with that. For a night anyway. She turned back to the guy across the way. Cute. Very cute now that he was frustrated. Might be nice to be pressed up against a wall getting your brains fucked out by that. He'd turned away from her and she bit her lip. She was a sucker for a nice ass and boy did he have one! He turned back around and caught her.
“Do I have something on me?”He smiled. It was adorable the way she blushed.
“No. I was just admiring the view.” Man! This little black dress was doing wonders for her.
What do you say to that? Return the compliment? Why not? Nothing else had worked.”Me too.”
“So are you waiting for someone?”Cassie inquired. Hopefully not female. If they were gonna take her away from Friday Night Date man, he was a nice replacement.
“Well my friend but he must have got distracted.”
“Yeah. By my friend. Do you get the feeling-
“We've been set up,”he finished her sentence as he approached her.
“Looks like it.”
“Disappointed?”
“Not in the least. You?”
“The best thing that's happened to me all night. Brian,”he said; taking her hand as he introduced himself.
“Cassie.”Maybe this wasn't going to be such a bad night after all.