- Text Size +
AJ noticed Brian standing by the bar; nursing a drink. He knew why. He saw dream girl on the dance floor.”Why'd you let that guy weasel in on your action?”
He shrugged then downed the remainder of his drink.”Seemed more interested in him.”
“Are you nuts?! I've seen the way she's looked at you all night. He's not you.”
“But he-”
“Let me tell you something about that guy,”AJ interrupted. “He saw what he wanted and went after it. What you should have done the minute got her on the dance floor was cut in. She would have left him in a heartbeat.”
“Well where's your potential for the night then?”
“Doing what every woman does. Freshening up while gossiping with her friends about the hot guy she's gonna be going home with.”
“Guess I won't be the subject of any of that then.”
“Don't you go throwing a pity party for yourself Littrell. You don't how many women in this town are looking for a nice guy just like you.”Shit!
“Excuse me?” Something was up.
“You need to go get that sweet little honey I handpicked for you before she gets away.” Fuck! It was already out there. May as well fess up.
“Hold up J. What's going on?”
“Okay. Here's the deal. I signed you up on a singles site and Cassie's friends did the same for her.”
“So how long have Cassie and I 'known' each other?”
“Just a week.”
“Sometimes I don't know about you.”
“I was just trying to help. 'Sides, it hasn't been that bad has it? She's kinda cute in that girl next door way.”
“All the more reason she wouldn't go home with the boy next door.”
“I wouldn't be so sure about that,”AJ returned as he noticed Cassie standing behind Brian.
“Huh?”
“Turn around man.”
“Hi,”she said.
“I see you were having a good time,"Brian commented flatly.
“It was okay. But it wasn't you.”
“So that guy?”
“I told that guy to take a hike. Well maybe not that way but he's gone. I was kind of hoping you'd be the kind of guy that would a girl a second chance.”Smiling hopefully.
Brian hesitated and AJ nudged him in the shoulder.”Perhaps another couple of dances?”
The music had slowed again.”That's all?”
He wanted to be close to her. Needed to be close to her. He hated when his friends were right. Maybe it wouldn't be tonight but at least they'd be together. He leaned in and said only loud enough for her to hear. “In case you didn't notice, I like being close to you.”
She blushed but returned,”Kind of hard not to miss.”
He took her hand.”Shall we?”
His hand on the small of her back just like before. Not that Donnie didn't have his good qualities but playing the gentleman that night wasn't one of them. He had only one thing on his mind and HAD it been a different night, she would have been with him. She had her friends to thank for tonight though. Brian was a nice guy. The kind of guy she could see herself with in the long term. And he seemed like one of those that was there for more than just a one night stand. She hoped she was right. This time he slid his arms around her as she melted into him. She played with the tiny curls on the back of his neck.
“You keep doing that and we may not make it home,”he commented as they moved with the subtle tone of the music. They were the only couple not making a public declaration of the way they felt and he wondered if that bothered her. He was just enjoying the feel of being near her. Not that he didn't want that to happen at some point but he was hoping that she would be the one to dictate when that took place.
His hands slid just above where she'd seen a lot of men resting their hands. Hell, Ellen's boy had his hands on hers. Did she want that? Sure. But right now? No. She wanted his hands on her when they were alone. She liked the way he felt. Apparently her actions had sparked a fire down below for him. Something else she wanted to become familiar with. It'd been so long since she'd just been close to someone. She wasn't about to let go of this moment anytime soon.”You want me to stop?”
“Didn't say that but I can't be held responsible for my actions.”
“Then maybe we should get out of here.”
“Uh aren't we both at the mercy of our friends?”
“They owe us don'tcha think?”She replied as she pulled her head off his shoulder.
“You know?”
“I know they did something to get us together so I'm not gonna torture them for that but being as they think we belong together, one of them is going to play taxi before they get their freak on.”
“Cassie?”
“Yeah?”
“I like the way you think.”
“Thank you.” Taking his hand, she led him toward AJ and Ellen.”Can we have a moment of your time?”
“Um,yeah but now?”AJ said. He really didn't want to let go of Ellen.
“Just meet us at the booth after this song is over.”
“Thank you.”She smiled sweetly and left the floor hand in hand with Brian. He allowed her to slide into the cushioned seat first. Even for the amount of alcohol he'd seen her consume, she still had her wits about her.
“Tell me how you do that?”
“Do what?”She rest her hand on her cheek; her elbow on the table.
“AJ never just does anything. Like you cast a spell on him or something.”
“Maybe I did.”She grinned mischievously.
“Can I get you two anything to drink?” The waitress appeared.
“Just a water for me please,”Cassie said.
“Make that two,”Brian replied; barely turning his attention from Cassie.
“Coming right up.”The waitress disappeared .
“So where were we?”
“I'm casting spells on your friends.”
“I think you cast one on me.”
“Don't worry. It wears off by morning.”
“Well dang. I was hoping it would last a little longer.”
“Well I could whip up another one if you want.”She grinned.
“Did we interrupt something?”Ellen scooted into the booth with AJ right next to her.
“No,”Cassie said.
“Damn!”
“I'll deal with you later.”Giving her friend a look. “But we need a favor.”
“Fire away,”AJ said.
“You have no idea what you just did, do you?”Ellen said.
“What? It's the least we can do after what we pulled tonight.”
“Fine. What do you want?”Ellen reluctantly agreed.
“A ride home,"Cassie said; smiling sweetly.
“That's it?”
“What? Did you think we need instructional videos or something? I think we're covered when it comes to the grown up stuff,”Cassie teased.
Ellen just glared at her friend but she did deserve that one.
AJ and Brian were both laughing uncontrollably. When they were able to stop, AJ said,”We'll be happy to.”
“So Beca drove tonight. How are we gonna do that?” Ellen said.
“ She could give Nick a ride home and we can drop these two off.”
“You do know he's got a girlfriend right?” Brian said.
“And she has a husband so I think we're safe in sending them home alone together,”Ellen returned.
“Okay. Problem solved. Just give us a minute and we'll be back.”AJ said as they left to find the remaining members of their parties.


After they left Brian and Cassie alone at her doorstep, she slid her arms around his neck.”There's something I've been dying to do all night.”
“What's that?” As his arms slipped around her waist. He was hoping this was the moment that he was waiting for.
Her lips softly brushed against his; slowly turning up the fire.
Now he could put his hand in that spot he'd been dying to touch all night. One hand remained in the middle of her back as the other moved down around the curvaceous flesh. She made this cute little squeak that vibrated throughout him when he squeezed. Her tongue slid through his lips and teased him.
Lord it was getting hot and she just wasn't letting go. He really didn't want to. He liked the way her body felt pressed tightly up against him. He knew they had to get inside. And soon. He didn't want to push it any further than she was willing to let it go. And she was the first. She gently nibbled his lower lip before completely pulling away from him.”And they think you're a good girl?” He teased her.
“My friends only think they know me,”she replied and played with the hair on the back of his neck.
“You know what I told you about that earlier.”
“I know.”She smiled and opened her purse to get the key.