- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Julie remembers what Edith taught her...

“I still do not see anything wrong with your DNA that could be causing you to jump randomly. However the virus I detected earlier seems to have grown in size. It seems that jumping did not kill the virus, but is causing it to spread.” Howie patted her shoulder.

Julie had wished Kevin could stay with her as she discussed what happened to Howie, but Jessica had called him into an urgent meeting concerning Charles.

“So the virus is getting stronger. Could this be what is causing me to jump?” She asked hoping that it was the answer, that Howie had a treatment he was going to get ready so that he could administer it to her.

“It is unusual and I have taken a sample. I plan to examine this further to see if anything is unusual about it. I know Charles thought that certain viruses might impact a traveler but it seemed that viruses could not survive the jumps themselves. Our volunteers are rarely sick because the jumps seem to act as a vaccine.” Howie was looking at the sample of blood taken from Julie, the sample he would be examining the virus from.

“I don't feel sick,” Julie protested. “The only time I feel ill is when I randomly jump.”

“If it is what is causing the jumps, it might not be an ordinary virus that makes you feel sick. The result of this virus could be the random jumping.”

Julie sighed as she got off of the stool. “Is it contagious?” She asked before she left, worried about Kevin's exposure or anyone else who she had been around.

“I have checked samples of blood from myself and Kevin. I do not see any evidence of the virus in our blood, so I would say it not contagious.” He smiled and she smiled weakly back at him. It was good news that she wasn't passing it along to others, but if this virus was what was causing her to jump and it was what Steph injected into her, why would she go to that trouble to make her jump around in time again?

Julie thought with Nick being killed and her a volunteer her confusion would end, but that did not seem likely, at least until she caught Steph. She needed to talk to someone, to confide in them. She would talk to Kevin, even though she originally omitted that she thought she saw Nick. She didn't want to worry him more, but now she wanted to tell him. Unfortunately, he was still in a meeting with Jessica.

It seemed Kevin was always in a meeting with Charles, and now Jessica, anymore. As much as she hated to admit it, she longed for the days that Kevin was on bed rest. Since Julie was still recovering as well, they got to spend days together, getting to know each other better.

She could always seek out Erika or AJ; maybe she could travel to twenty-twelve and visit with Brian. Though young Charles no longer needed looking after, Brian was still banished to The Library in twenty-twelve. Julie had been pushing Kevin to convince older Charles to let him come back now that Nick was gone. Charles was steadfast in having him finish out his punishment in twenty-twelve. Julie felt horrible since she was part of why he was stuck there.

She hardly visited Brian anymore since she did not want to chance getting him in more trouble. She made a mental note to talk to Charles herself when he came back and tell him what really happened; maybe he would let Brian come back.

Julie absentmindedly walked into the closet with all the clothing, Tessa's area. The other woman smiled and welcomed her warmly. Julie hadn't meant to turn here, but Tessa had always been a good listener so she smiled and said 'hello' back.

“What brings you here?” Tessa answered as she cleared a chair for Julie to sit on.

“They still have you doing this stuff even though you are a full volunteer now?” Julie asked as she took a seat.

“I like it,” she shrugged. “Keeps me calm, jumping through time freaks me out.” She laughed nervously.

The two women sat in silence. Julie had picked up an item and started to work on the hem that had come undone. It was quite relaxing, Tessa had a point. “I jumped again,” She threw out unable to stand the silence anymore.

“What?” Tessa stopped what she was doing and looked at Julie.

“I jumped twice, without a device. Both of them were to protests, one in the seventies and the other in twenty-eleven.”

“What happened?” Tessa asked intrigued now.

“Well at the first, a shooting, but it was supposed to happen. The second, I didn't stay around long enough to find out.” She ran the fabric of the clothing through her hands, nerves getting to her a bit with what she was going to admit to the girl next. “Both times I thought I saw Nick.”

“How could you? He's dead.” Tessa piped up immediately. “Is this part of that post trauma thing you said Howie said you had?”

“It could be.” She sighed and looked up at the girl. “I'm afraid I'm losing my mind.”

“Julie, I think you just need a break. Take some time off of for yourself.” Tessa patted Julie's leg to comfort her.

“I would love to do that, but without knowing when I'll jump I'm afraid there is no rest for me. And when I do rest, I see Nick in my dreams.” She shrugged. It had become common place for her but she wasn't sure how much she had already told Tessa.

Tessa just shook her head. “I was there Julie. Before I was trained, they pulled all volunteers of all levels to search for him. I was part of the team that found the site with the blood. There was so much blood; blood they tested to find out it was Nick's. There was no way he lived after losing that much blood.”

“I know, and I should let that be a comfort but I am still so jumpy.” She shook her head and started to sew the hem again.

“With perfect reason, he tried to kill you.” Tessa nodded. The two girls remained quiet, working side by side in silence for a while longer.

“So how goes the training and missions?” Julie asked, she had almost forgot that Tessa was on missions now.

“Justin loves them. I'm not sure of Jessica promoting us so soon. Doesn't feel right.” Tessa laughed uncomfortably. “It was bad enough when I had to help look for Nick, but now to be sent out to look for rogue volunteers. With everything that's happened to you and Kevin I am a little scared.”

Julie smiled. “We were an exception. Nick was after us and I've made an enemy out of Steph. When I've been sent after other rogues they don't try to kill me, just escape.” She laughed and looked at the other woman, worry still over her face.

“Let's get out of here and get some coffee.” Julie suggested as she stood and set the sewing down.

“Okay,” Tessa smiled and nodded setting her own work down. They turned out the lights and left the room. As they walked towards the stairs that lead up through The Library they heard loud voices coming from the stairs. Erika smiled at the other two girls as she stopped at the bottom of the stairs and waited for AJ and a man with his arms behind his back coming down the stairs.

The man was cursing them out as he was being drug down the stairs. “Hello Tessa, Julie.” Erika said as they walked by.

“When you two are done, we are grabbing some coffee if you want to join us.” Julie piped up. Her eyes falling on the man AJ had in custody. Tessa was holding tight to Julie's arm as she stood behind her. Julie watched the man walk by, his eyes falling on her in shock. Seconds later his lips pursed closed and he walked without complaint with the others.

“Sounds good,” Erika called back to them before turning to follow AJ and the rogue down the hall.

“What was with that guy, why did he look at you like that?” Tessa came out from behind Julie and asked her as they headed upstairs.

Julie shrugged. “The only thing I can think of is he thought I was dead. I mean Nick thought he killed me, he might have spread that around and this guy hadn't been told I was alive.”

They reached the top of the stairs and Tessa gasped. “Shit,” she said out loud.

“What?” Julie asked looking around them.

“I just remembered that Justin and I have a meeting with Jessica,” the woman looked at her watch before continuing. “And it's like now.” She looked at Julie apologetically. “I'm sorry, rain check?” She asked.

“Of course, If I am not jumping wildly through time, I would love to have coffee later.” She smiled and with nothing better to do, followed Tessa back down the stairs. Julie followed Tessa towards the meeting room, if Tessa had a meeting with Jessica then maybe Kevin would be done and she and he could spend some time together, finally.

Tessa looked back and Julie. “Why are you following...?” She started.

“Looking for Kevin,”she smiled just as Kevin walked around the corner. “Speaking of,” she took hold of Kevin's hand and started pulling him in the opposite direction. “See you later Tessa.”

“You and I are going to have some quiet time,” She winked up at him as they walked back to their room.