- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The big day.. execution day

Julie paced back and forth across the small room she occupied. She hadn't been given much food over the last couple of days, not that she'd been hungry or even able to eat. Julie ran to the furthest corner of the cell and started to dry heave. For a split second she hoped that she would jump, but when she opened her eyes she still stood in the same stinky cell.

She wandered over to the window where she could see the pyre being built. She remembered the last time she'd watched her pyre being built. She had jumped before they could even tie her to the pyre and set the fire. She was wringing her hands hoping that she would jump any moment.

She stopped pacing and stood next to the window, watching the workers build, throwing the bundles onto the pile to make it larger. Her thoughts flew to Kevin, she'd thought about engraving into the stone work a message to Kevin but there was no guarantee that he would get it. Why would he wander around a tiny holding cell in England.

The one thing about being locked up is that Julie had enough time to think about what she saw before being locked up and what she had seen every day since. She had jumped to Tudor England. The 'H' and 'A' banners were for Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. She was certain that Anne had not been executed that day she was brought here; the banners with their initials together would not be hanging in the courtyard unless it had been a cruel taunt in her final moments.

A knock at the door caused her to jump. Tears started to fill her eyes as two men came to pull her out of the cell and drag her towards the pyre. “No, no, no...” she heard herself begging the men. Why wasn't she jumping? Would she really die this time? She could feel the bile rise in her throat, but was not the feeling she had before she jumped. She was terrified.

They reached the pyre and the men grabbed hold of her arms to tie them to the pole. She tried to pull out of their grip but she was unable, they were used to people fighting them, they knew how to hold on to her. Finally, she relaxed and let them get on with it. She saved her strength to think of Kevin in her final moments. Tears filled her eyes and she thought of how he would go on with his life never knowing what happened to her and how she died. Was this why he looked at her the way he did that day in twenty forty-five. Did he know she would die in this manner?
She was tied tightly to the pole, tears streaming down her face. She looked around at the crowd that amassed to watch her execution and wondered if they really saw this as only entertainment or if any of them were appalled at what was about to happen to her.

Through her tears she saw the fire coming closer to her, she felt liquid run down her legs but why should she care that she just peed herself? She was going to burn to death.

“Stop!” a voice called out and she looked around to find who said it. “That's my wife and she is no more a thief than I am.”

Murmurs swept through the crowd as people turned to see who was talking. Julie craned her neck to see if she could see who was speaking but through the smoke of the torches and the tears in her eyes she couldn't see anyone.

“Kevin?” she called out into the crowd.

One of the men who tied her moved to speak with the man who had spoke up and soon the torches were being doused in a nearby bucket. Julie was so relieved; she fainted, slouching awkwardly as she was still tied to the pole.

When she awoke she was lying in a bed, the room was dark. She sat up in the bed and noticed food and water next to her on a table. Her mind flitted through the thought of poison briefly, but why would someone save her from being burned only to poison her? She grabbed the water and sipped it, unsure how her empty stomach would handle the liquid. She picked up the bread and started to nibble it, alternating between a small bite of bread and a small sip of the water.

It wasn't long before he stomach felt comfortable and she was laying her head back on the bed and falling asleep again.

“I see that you've eaten and had some water,” a voice next to her bed startled her. She kept her eyes closed, slightly afraid of what would happen if she looked at her savior. The man had, after all, called her his wife. “I'm sorry I didn't get to you sooner, I never meant for that to happen.” The voice continued.

Julie held her breath as she realized whose voice she was hearing. She bolted up in the bed and looked straight into Nick's eyes. “No,” she mumbled and started moving away from him. She made it to the other side of the bed and jumped off, running for the door.

“Stop” he called out.

Julie froze with her hand on the door knob; perhaps she was putting Nick's face on a stranger's again like she had in New York. She slowly turned around to see Nick walking towards her. “Nick?” she questioned in a whispered tone.

“I'm not going to hurt you,” he held his hands palm up to show that he had nothing in his hands. “If I still wanted you dead, I would have let you burn.” He reached her and lightly grabbed her arm trying to guide her back to the bed.

“Nick?” she asked again.

“Yes, Julie, it's me, I did not die either.” He whispered in her ear.

Julie took the opportunity with his face close to hers and smacked him across the side of his face with her elbow. Then she took both of her fists together and punched his stomach. When he released her she bolted to the door and turned the knob.

She flew out of the room and towards the front door of the house. She managed to get out of that door too and she took off trying to get as far away from that house and Nick as she could. She ignored the pain in her feet and the weakness in her legs as she tried to find a place to hide from him.

She ducked down a narrow alley and moved into the darkness, her legs no longer allowing her to run, even to stand. She knelt on the ground, watching. She saw Nick run by the alley, apparently frustrated. Julie started to breathe deeply and slowly.

“Julie,” she heard him call out. “I know you are around here somewhere. Come out, I give you my word that I will not harm you, or Kevin.” She wanted to shout at him, to call him a liar but if she said anything her position would give her away. And though it was a narrow alley way, it would not be difficult for him to make his way in to retrieve her and, unfortunately, the alley was a dead end.

“Listen,” he spoke loudly. “I will be back at the house when you are ready. I need to talk to you; there is something important you need to know. I can tell you why you are randomly jumping.” he stopped talking, Julie's heartbeat still beating as if she had just stopped running.

He knew about her random jumps, instantly she knew he was the one behind them. Somehow he had found a way to make her jump randomly and used Steph to give her the catalyst. She thought briefly about going back to the house to have him explain what was going on, but she did not want to get trapped in Nick's web of lies again. It would be best if she stayed away from him, telling the project he was alive the first chance she got when she returned to twenty-thirty, if she returned.

She stayed in the alley until darkness started to fall, the air becoming chilly. She felt she had been hidden long enough. She needed to distance herself from Nick more, get further away so he had no chance of finding her.

She crawled out of the alley and started glancing around.

“About time you ventured out,” a voice above her spoke to her. She looked up just in time to see Steph's face before she clubbed her with what looked like a bat, rendering her unconscious for the second time in one day.