- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

He bring some shocking news

The feel of Nick's lips pressed up against hers made her heart flutter. Annoyed at herself for feeling that way and for him actually having the balls to kiss her, she bit down hard on Nick's bottom lip.

He moved away quickly, touching his bottom lip and checking it for blood. “Mmm, feisty.” He looked at her a flash of hurt crossed through his eyes, but as quick as it came it was gone. “I like that.” His lips curled in anger as he looked at her.

He moved to the bucket of water and grabbed a cloth nearby. He dipped the cloth in the water and held it to his lip. Sitting back on the chair, he held the cloth to his lip and resumed glaring at her. Julie pulled at her chained arm wishing that she could break it. Wishing she could jump away from here, though now she knew her jumps were not so random after all.

When pulling at the chain wielded no results, she dropped her arm and sat back watching Nick nurse his lip. She did not feel sorry for him, she was glad she caused him pain. So why did her heart flutter when he kissed her. This was the man that tried to kill her and then, when he thought she was dead, tried to kill Kevin as well. All for revenge due to a mistake Kevin made, which, unfortunately, killed the woman Nick loved.

She decided it would be best if she avoided thinking about that any longer. Her thoughts kept floating back to Kevin, what would he say if he found out what was going on, who was behind her jumps. He would set out to stop Nick, to take him in, possibly to kill him and be done with it once and for all. Julie wanted Nick taken out of the game, so why did she not want to think about Kevin finding out. She shook her head to get the thoughts out of her head, and then focused back on Nick.

“What do you mean you need my help? You need me to be your little travel buddy and jump through time with you so you can mess around in history and make changes to benefit you?”

Nick glared at her, his anger apparent on his face. “There is only one instance, one, that I would change that would benefit me. But others would benefit from Zoe living.”

Julie rolled her eyes. “How many years has it been Nick? Move on.” She knew she was being mean; but she wanted to see how far she could push him. She needed to know the limit. She expected to see Nick's eyes flare with anger, possibly for him to slap her across her face; instead, he dropped his head into his hands and sighed.

“I've tried.” He whispered to her astonishment. Before she could ask him what he meant, he was sitting up again looking at her. “You allowing me to jump is not the only help I need.”

“What do you mean? What kind of help do you need?” She glanced at him then remembered the last time she helped him. “Distracting me with sex won't work this time either.”

Nick shook his head. “My intent is not to seduce you.” His face looked crestfallen for a brief minute before he cleared his throat and continued speaking. “I stepped back from attempting to change history while I was unable to jump on my own, like I said; it was too risky relying on someone else. Instead, I focused on helping others complete their missions. It seemed impossible, everything we tried to change one of your group managed to stop us. We didn't think anything was being accomplished until our researchers found some changes that had been made unbeknownst to any of you.”

Julie held up her hand to pause Nick. “How did you know changes were or were not made? I thought The Library was the only building that stood outside of time, where the information was protected.”

Nick chuckled slightly and smiled at Julie. “Remember we have set up in the future. And don't be so cocky to think the project survives forever. The Library on the other hand will be around for a very long time. All it needs is a Librarian.”

Julie's thoughts flew to Brian. What all did his job entail?

“I've always expressed my desire to change things in history that were tragedies. To put things right that should not have happened. Making sure Hitler never rose to power, stopping the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. Others you will understand that I will keep secret to make sure you do not have a leg up when this is over.”

“This?” Julie asked confused. She wished she could get out of the chains. She desperately desired to make a break for it. She wanted to get back to the project and give Howie a heads up as to where they were hiding. She remembered when she first met AJ, something about the Librarian being able to project himself to different Libraries in time. Perhaps there was a way to use that to find where Nick and the rest were hiding, she was sure they'd have Charles there with them.

“This.” He repeated. “What I need your help with. I want to work with you to help the project accomplish what they set out by stopping those who were changing history.”

“You want back in to put a stop to you and your friends?” She asked. She was confused and quite frankly she was sick of being confused.

He shook his head and sat in the chair near the bed. “Our mission is to change history for the betterment of mankind. To make the world a better place. No one on my team would make the changes that have been made.”

“Just get to the point already Nick, stop dodging the topic! What do you need my help with?” She lunged forward causing him to jump back slightly.

“There have been changes made, changes that benefit individuals. Mostly the changes benefited the person's history financially.” He paused and looked at Julie who was still glaring at him wishing he would get to the point.

“I believe someone inside the project has been changing history...”

Julie glared at him. “How dare you accuse...” she started only to be interrupted by Nick.

“Someone at Chronos Project, someone who might be your friend, is trading their ability to travel through time to change other people's histories in return for payment.” He said holding his eye contact with her.