- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Research and another jump?

Julie sat in their room waiting for Kevin to return with the record book so that they might figure out who was responsible for the changes. While she waited her mind wandered back to what she was going through. Being injected with a virus of some kind so that she would be linked with Nick when he jumped, it was not an ideal situation but she realized she had no one but herself to blame. She was too quick to follow any lead involving Steph that she did not stop to think that any of the leads could be set ups. Even though the virus would eventually kill her, Julie was lucky she was not already dead from her impulsive nature.

Julie's leg started to shake as she waited for Kevin. She really was no good at waiting, if she was then she wouldn't be so impulsive and half of her problems would not exist. Unable to wait any longer, Julie stood and started to walk down the hall to look for Kevin. He really had been gone too long, didn't he realize the sooner they solved this the sooner Charles would be home and the sooner he could reverse the virus that he created.

The sound of her footsteps was the only thing she could hear in the hallway. Nobody was coming and going; everyone seemed to be either on a mission or locked up in their own world. Julie rounded a corner when the sound of voices caught her ear

“I think someone is suspicious of us.” Julie heard a very hushed tone say. She couldn't make out who was talking, just what they were saying.

“What makes you think that?” The voice that replied was also difficult to make out but was obviously female.

Julie was unable to make out the conversation after that, footsteps echoing through the hall covered up the hushed tones. Julie moved further down the hall so that she wouldn't be around the area. She watched as Justin and Tessa walked by going in the opposite direction from where she stood hiding. They looked deep in conversation.

Julie shook her head. If she hadn't been suspicious of them before she was even more so now. She watched from the side hallway she was in until she saw the couple disappear into another room. She started to head back down the hallway and almost ran into Kevin who was walking towards their room.

“Hello,” he said as he smirked down at her. “Getting impatient?” He asked.

Julie smiled and shrugged up at him, taking hold of his hand she dragged him back to the room. She let him know what she just overheard in the hall as they got comfortable on the couch; she noticed a stack of books in Kevin's arms for the first time when she finished talking.

“Are those them?” She asked pulling her knees to her chest.

Kevin nodded and laid them down on the coffee table. “It was what I could grab in the time before Jessica came into the office. She would be handling the books in Charles' absence so it would be good if we finished quickly and returned them so she won't notice they are missing.”

Julie cringed at the comment. If it was Charles they would have plenty of time before he noticed they were missing but Jessica was very organized and would likely discover they were missing after only a couple of hours at the most. “Let's get to work then,” Julie said as she took the top book and cracked it open.

“Here's my account,” Kevin showed her pointing to a set of numbers in the book. Julie took note of the amount that was being received. “Here's yours,” He pointed to an account a few lines down, the amounts being put in were identical but the account numbers were not the same.

The two fell silent as they started to pour over the books to find any evidence of extra funds being placed into accounts. Julie's eyes were beginning to cross as she looked at the numbers. She did notice the accounts Kevin pointed out as theirs were receiving the same amount across the board. “What's this?” She asked suddenly blinking her eyes several times to make sure what she was seeing was not due to eye strain.

Julie pointed to the figure she was looking at and showed it to Kevin. “I saw that in this book too.” He said pointing to the same figure in his book.

It was as if a fog had lifted. Once they noticed what they were looking for they were able to identify several more instances of the same thing occurring. After another hour of staring at the books the two had identified five accounts that appeared to be receiving more funds than the usual amount.

“Whose accounts are these?” She asked hopeful that Kevin would know and their search would be completed. She couldn't believe that they could be finished so soon.

Kevin shrugged. “I don't know. Unfortunately I couldn't find the master list of everyone's account numbers.”

Julie groaned and thew back her head. Of course it wouldn't be that easy. “So we know five people are receiving extra money but we don't know who they are. There are only fifteen people with the project total yet there are sixteen accounts. There is an extra account but without knowing who the accounts belong to how are we supposed to figure out who is getting extra money? We can't ask people for their account numbers.”

“We will have to...” Kevin started to talk but stopped when he saw Julie keel over in pain. “I thought you said it wasn't random.” He held on to like he was trying to keep her there or go with her, Julie couldn't tell exactly which but his hands were digging into her arms as she felt the nausea sweep through her.

“Sorry about that,” She heard Nick saying as she came around. Kevin was nowhere. “I needed to stop something and since I needed to jump...” He didn't complete his statement, Julie knew well enough because he needed to jump he had to force her to come with him.

Julie wished he hadn't apologized so soon, she really wanted to yell at him for tearing her away from the research and Kevin. “If you make me jump, I can't find out the answers you want.” She glared at him.

“I know, but like I said I needed to stop something. I received some intelligence that someone is bringing future stock trading information into the past. You are from the time period; remember the stock market decline that started around 2008?”

Julie nodded her head as he spoke.

“Someone is passing along that information so that their futures are secured along with more trading information so they can make a bundle instead of losing a vast majority.” Nick stated as he helped Julie stand, brushing some fuzz off of her shirt, his fingers lingering a little too long under her arm running slowly next to her breast.

Julie gasped before putting her arms down to stop him. “Let's get this over with.” She forced herself to say. She really just wanted him to touch her again but the memory of Kevin being left behind wondering where she went snapped her out of the urge.

The two wandered down the street, Nick stopping several times to look at the buildings around them. Julie didn't know what city they were in, she couldn't tell standing at the base of the tall buildings what city it was but she knew she was in Texas based off the license plates on the cars.

“Do you even know where you are going?” Julie asked Nick. She was irritated with the constant walking and stopping.

Nicks cheeks turned somewhat crimson from embarrassment. “Yes.” He said though she was sure he didn't or why would he blush? They walked along and finally Nick smiled when he reached a particular building. “This is it.” he announced triumphantly.

“So what do we do now?” Julie asked as they stood there.

“We wait.” Nick motioned to a nearby bench and took a seat and turned towards the entrance of the building. Julie sat down next to him. She would not have sat as close as she did if there was not a third person on the bench that caused her to sit right on top of Nick, the heat from his body warming her. She turned towards the door but instead of watching the door, her eyes stayed on the back of Nick's neck. She watched as he breathed steadily, goose bumps appearing on the back of his neck. Julie reached her arm around him and wrapped it around his waist holding him closer to her.

“Julie,” Nick whispered and turned to face her, their lips almost touching. Julie couldn't stand his lips being that close to him and not touching hers, it didn't take much movement on her part before their lips were pressed together. Julie closed her eyes as she felt the butterflies fill her stomach as their kiss intensified.

Then it ended as quickly as it had begun. Nick pulled away and turned quickly back to watching the door of the building, craning his neck to see if his intended target had already moved past them. “We need to focus,” He started to say before standing. He must have found the person he was looking for; he took off in a jog to catch the man.