- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

the end of the chase

It was all Julie could do to keep up with Nick as he pursued the man they had been watching for.  She almost ran into several people as she raced through the streets. The jog Nick has started out with had soon turned into a full run.  Julie managed to finally catch up when Nick had the man stopped five blocks away from original building. 

Nick was talking to the man, if Julie was seeing things correctly; Nick was pretending not to have just run to catch the man.  Julie took a few deep breaths before approaching.

“There you are darling,” Nick turned to her and looked at her sweetly.  “This man has been kind enough to help give me directions.” He pulled Julie close and looped his arm around her waist. 

It didn’t take Julie long to realize the ploy Nick was using and she quickly chimed in. “That is so kind of you sir.” She smiled warmly at the man who seemed to be a bit annoyed that he was the one asked to help out of the hundreds of people walking the streets.  “You must let us thank you.”  She spoke up thinking that they needed to distract this man.  Nick didn’t tell her any specifics so she was working off of gut instinct.

“What a fantastic idea sweetheart. You must let us treat you to a coffee or pie or both.” Nick laughed.  Julie was amazed at how easily Nick slipped into the tourist character and played off that they were just some friendly folks visiting the city that got lost. 

“Thank you, but I really must be going.” The man spoke and turned to start walking in the opposite direction as them.

“We insist,” Julie moved away from Nick and looped her arms through the other man’s arms and started to steer him off in the direction Nick was walking, towards a restaurant.

“No really,” The man spoke trying to pull away from Julie.  Julie looked at Nick and he held up five fingers, she figured they needed to distract him for at least five more minutes.

“Where did you get this tie?” Julie grabbed the man’s tie and ran her fingers along it.  It really wasn’t a very good looking tie, but she needed to stall him still.  “Nick, darling, this is exactly the kind of tie you need to get to make a good impression for your job interview. I mean just look at this man, he looks like he has a good job and he has a tie like this.” She pulled the material closer to inspect the pattern of fish on his tie.  “And honey, you love to fish.”

“You know it,” Nick smiled and approached the man and took the tie in his own hands.  “I do like this tie. Where can I get one like it?” Nick asked holding firmly to the tie so that the man could not walk away. 

“Here take mine,” The man blurted out and undid the tie tossing it at Nick.  “I really must go.”

Nick nodded slightly at Julie; it was safe to let him go.  “Well if you must, thanks again.” She waved her fingers at the man who was speeding down the street rushing to meet a deadline he that had already passed.

“Stock market is closed; he won’t be doing any trading today.” Nick spoke, the serious tone back in his voice.   “We work well together,” he smirked at her and grabbed her waist pulling her close.

“We certainly did.” Julie nodded trying to keep her eyes away from Nick.  Maybe if she didn’t look at him the burning desire to kiss him again would go away.  “Look, Nick.” She turned to face him, the desire in his eyes almost made her pull him closer.  She pulled his arms off of her and took a step away.  “You can’t go whisking me away at a moment’s notice.  I told Kevin…”

“You what?” Nick spun away from her running his hands through his hair. 

“I love him, Nick.” Julie emphasized.   “Of course I was going to tell him that you are alive and what you’ve told me.”

“Did you tell him about the other night,” Nick turned to face her, she could see what looked like bragging in his eyes. 

Julie shook her head.  “No, I didn’t.” She answered meekly. 

“And what about the kiss we just shared, will you keep that from him too?” He asked his voice full of venom.

“You know I will.  I don’t know why I want to be with you, why I want to hold you close to feel your lips on mine.   I love Kevin.” She stated again to reassure herself and to keep herself from pulling Nick close, to kiss him, to see him smile again.   “I want him involved in the search.”

“What? No.” Nick threw his hands up in the air.

“If I am going to help you, I need help on my end.  I trust Kevin, I want him involved.” She stated.  “That means, if you are going to take me away to help you stop something from happening you are going to get word to Kevin as to where he can join us.”  Julie didn’t just want Kevin around to help the investigation.  She thought that if he was around this strange desire for Nick would go away.

“How do you suppose I get word to Kevin?” He asked with a snarl on his face.

“You have an inside man.  Get notes to us saying where you need us to go.”  Julie stated plainly.

“You are still trying to figure out who my inside man is aren’t you?” Nick chuckled.

“I am, but that is not why I am asking you to do this.  We could use his help and you know it.” Julie stated.  “We stopped this man, but we didn’t find the volunteer or volunteers that gave him the information to begin with did we?” Julie asked.

Nick looked down before looking back up at her.  “Maybe if you hadn’t kissed me.” He shot back knowing that their intimate actions were causing her confusion.

Julie shook off the comment.  “Kevin helps.”

“Fine,” Nick finally agreed.

Julie stuck out her hand and waited for Nick to take it so they could shake it.  He grabbed her hand and shook it slowly, holding her gaze with his own. A brief desire to pull him close came over her and she dropped his hand.  “Now, can you get me back please?” She asked.

Nick bowed deeply, “As you wish.”

Julie shook her head and crossed her arms, waiting for him to send her back to Kevin, back where she belonged. 

Julie fought off the urge to keel over in pain and to vomit right there as she felt herself being pulled through time.  She smiled as she saw the familiar white halls of the project.  She gave herself a minute then stood and made her way back to her room.  Kevin was sitting there pouring over the books.

“Hi,” he murmured when he saw she had returned.

“Hi,” She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his head and pulled it close to her chest.  She kissed the top of his head before he pulled away from her.  She looked down at the books in front of Kevin.  These were not the financial books but rather they looked like the books that recorded where each volunteer jumped.

“Nick?” he asked.

Julie nodded.  “He had to stop someone from using knowledge about the future of the stock market.  Since he jumped, I went with him and I helped stop him.” Julie shrugged like it was no big deal. There was no way she was going to talk about the kiss, the desire to touch Nick.  She didn’t know what had gone through her, she didn’t feel those things now.  

“I told him that if he is going to keep using me, then I wanted you told so you could help.” Julie moved to sit in Kevin’s lap but he crossed his legs so she was forced to continue to stand.

“Kevin?” Julie asked.  “Are you still wealthy?” She asked. She wasn’t sure why she wanted to ask but she had to know.  What if it was his past that they had fixed?

“Yes…” He answered slowly.  He turned from her and went back to staring at the books.  Julie moved to sit on the couch and wait for him to respond regarding him helping with Nick.

“Kevin, he agreed to let you help. He figured a way to get messages to you.  I really want you there if he makes me jump again.”  Julie said, rubbing her eyes to keep the tears away.  She hated when he sat in silent moods. 

Julie felt the couch next to hear depress and she looked up to see Kevin next to her.  He lifted her chin with his finger so they were looking into each other’s eyes.  “I will go with you, if not just to be with you to make sure you are safe but to possibly capture him.”

Julie started to protest but he held up his finger to quiet her and pulled her close, kissing her.  Julie smiled when she felt desire for Kevin rise as they kissed.  After everything with Nick she was worried she wouldn’t want Kevin anymore.

“So what should we do now to figure out this thing on our end?” Kevin asked.

Julie recounted what she saw with Jessica and Howie. Kevin’s eyes darkened at the mention of Howie. Julie knew he didn’t like that his friend was being accused of being on the take but he couldn’t deny that he wasn’t part of the conspiracy.

“Let’s go.” Kevin said standing. 

“Where are we going?” Julie asked as she followed him out the door. 

“I want Howie to tell me to my face if he’s involved or not.” Kevin’s face was determined as they made their way down the hall to Howie’s office.