- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

culprits revealed?

Julie woke in a room where the only light was a candle on a nearby table.  She sat up cringing as her muscles screamed at her. She was sore but Charles had told her nothing was broken. She stood and grabbed the candle and left the room finding the others sitting around a small table pouring over books laid out in front of them. 

“Hi,” she greeted everyone. 

Everyone looked up at her and, if she was not mistaken, even Steph looked relieved that she was up and moving about.

“What are you all doing?” she asked though she supposed she could have guessed.  Kevin had gotten the books and they were researching.  Kevin confirmed as much when he spoke pulling the chair next to him out for her to sit. 

Julie carefully sat down, Kevin helping her to sit. He moved close to her and they kissed briefly.  “How are you?” he whispered so only she could hear.

“Sore, but I will live.” She grimaced as she turned and pulled a book towards her.  “Is there anything specific we are looking for?”

Charles explained to her what they would be looking for.  She opened the book unsure if she would be able to find anything but she hated to just sit there and let everyone else do the work.

“We have this under control if you are not feeling up to it,” Nick’s voice rang out in the small room.  She looked up at him and offered him a small smile of thanks before looking back down at her own book.

The room was silent as everyone looked through their books.  Commotion from Kevin caused her to look over.  He was looking at his book then looking at another then back at his.  He did this several times before he looked up.  “I think I found something,” He said causing everyone else to look his way.

“Justin and Tessa?” Julie wondered.

“No,” Kevin’s face was white as he turned towards her.

“Who then?” Nick asked, his voice sounding a little excited to finally be able to blame someone.

Kevin pointed his finger to the spot on the page he was looking at.  Julie looked where he was pointing and shook her head in disbelief.  “No, it can’t be. It has to be a set up of some kind.  Like with us, they doctored the books…”

Kevin took her hand in his.  “There would have been no time to doctor the books.”

“Maybe we are looking at it wrong,” She pulled her hand out of his and looked across at Nick pleading with him that it was wrong, though she knew there was no way he would know. He didn’t have the book in front of him.

“Slide it here,” Charles spoke.  Julie slid the books to Charles so he could look into it. She sat on the edge of her seat hoping that Kevin had looked at something wrong.  “He’s right.  Everything is pointing to AJ and Erika.”

“It could still be wrong though right?  I mean it could still be Tessa and Justin right?” She looked around at everyone, Nick was avoiding her eyes.

“Maybe,” Charles spoke but she could hear that he already felt they had found their culprits. “It is always good to investigate and be sure before acting.” He had stood and was patting Julie’s shoulder carefully before leaving the room.

The room was silent with the four remaining.  Julie stared at her hands, she just couldn’t believe that Erika and AJ would be behind this.  Hadn’t she saved AJ and this was how he was using his second chance? 

“Do the books say anything about where they will be next?” Steph spoke up. Julie looked up and noticed that Nick and Kevin were both looking at her, sympathy in their eyes.  Julie held eye contact with Nick as they sat there.

Kevin turned away from Julie and looked down at the book Charles had pushed back to the middle of the table when he left.  “It seems like they are doing something in Hawaii nineteen forty-one.”

“Pearl Harbor,” Julie whispered.  She’d seen the movie, and who didn’t know the infamous date that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the final straw to pull America into the Second World War

“Do they really think they can stop something as big and important as that?” Nick asked. 

Julie shook her head and looked at Steph who was getting up and heading out of the room.  “I doubt the change will be that major.  They are changing history for people who can pay them, who would be able to pay them enough to stop that event completely.  It will probably be something smaller, like a person.” She sighed unsure where she pulled this information from.  It would make sense, they would be paid to save someone from being a part of, and possibly dying, during that attack.

“Kevin, you, Nick and Julie will go.” Charles came back into the room.  She wasn’t sure why he’d left in the first place, perhaps he needed to come to terms with the betrayal too.   “Steph has been most helpful in my research into solving Nick’s problem, and I could use her assistance. I think I am close.”   He smiled to Nick and then to Julie. 

Julie moved towards Kevin and put her arms around him. She wished she could have her own device or even just jump with Kevin. She wasn’t sure what would happen if she jumped with Kevin and then Nick jumped. Would she jump with Nick and end up in a different place?  Would he still be able to jump? What would happen to her?  There were too many questions so she kissed Kevin quickly and moved over to Nick taking hold of his hand.

She caught the smug look Nick shot at Kevin before they jumped.  When they arrived, Julie smacked Nick and waited for Kevin.  Once he joined them they sneaked around looking for any way they could get clothes.  Nick and Julie were still dressed in their dinner clothes and Kevin as dressed too modern.

“Here,” Kevin called out and Julie saw that he had found an open store that the owner was very sympathetic. 

‘He probably won’t be after it too long,’ Julie thought to herself as she caught site of the paper, December 7, 1941. 

The three convened shortly after they changed their clothes.  Julie had to admit that both men looked quite nice but she forced herself only to look at Kevin and smile. “Shall we?” She held out her arm for Kevin to take and the three started to walk along the streets searching for any sign of Erika and AJ.

“Did any of you see the movie Pearl Harbor?” Nick’s voice asked somewhat silently so that random people could not hear him.

Julie had not, it was one of those movies that never really appealed to her.  Kevin also shook his head. 

“Shame,” Nick added.  “I seem to recall the affection of one woman being fought over by two men.”

Julie could feel Kevin tense as Nick said the words.  She knew he was holding himself back, that he would love to smack Nick hard across the face.  Nick’s laugh was the only sound as they continued to walk.

They approached the pier, as close as they would be able to get to the base and they stood watching.  Julie couldn’t help it, she knew she was supposed to be looking for Erika and AJ but her eyes continually flew to the sky watching for the Japanese bombers she knew were coming.

“I see AJ,” Nick said but before he could tell them where, he took off after the man.  Julie strained her eyes to see if she could see where Nick and AJ were heading.  The only she could determine was they were headed away from Pearl Harbor.

“Shit, there’s Erika,” Julie pointed out her friend who was sneaking onto the base.  She moved closer, Kevin close behind her but she realized she would not be able to make it onto the base unless she was able to sweet talk the guard at the gate which was unlikely.  She looked up at the sky again and then to the wristwatch she’d managed to borrow from the clothing store.  She couldn’t remember the exact time the attack happened but she knew it was before eight a.m.  Currently it was a just after seven.

Julie stood as close as she dare and watched Erika.  She may not be able to go in after her but if she kept her eyes open she would possibly be able to capture her when she exited.  She watched as Erika boarded the Arizona, the ship Julie knew was doomed to sink taking the crew with it.

Chapter End Notes:

I'll give you some time to relish in this revelation... heehee