- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

they are gone...for good?

Kevin looked at the twosome strangely after they returned from taking AJ and Erika to the future. Julie was screaming and hitting Nick.

“You asshole!” she screeched at him. “Why did you shoot them? We have to go back.”

“No,” came his simple response.

“You shot them?” Kevin was immediately at Julie's side, his arm protectively around her. “I knew we couldn't trust you.”

Nick held up his hands defensively. “Did you think that if we just left them there and they waltzed into the hospital they would just fix these two people who looked to be in good condition? I gave the doctors a reason to fix them.”

Julie groaned when she realized his thinking made sense. “Where did you shoot them?” She asked out of morbid curiosity.

“Their legs. Don't worry, they have advanced medicine, they'll be fine.” Nick pulled out a chair and sat down watching Julie.

“They are all alone in a time they aren't familiar with, did we do the right thing?” Julie asked biting her nails. She knew all too well how scary it was to be in a time you weren't familiar with. Would you be able to survive, adapt?

Kevin wrapped his arms around Julie and pulled her close. “They have been traveling through time and blending in for quite some time, they will be fine.” He kissed the top of her head. Julie looked around the room at all the faces turned in their direction.

Julie looked at everyone and thought about them together, alone. What would they do to make sure they did not starve. “I want to somehow get them money.” She spoke.

Nick was shaking his head. “Money would hold no value then. They've done away with it in the traditional sense.” He shrugged.

“What's next?” She sighed asking everyone in the room, Kevin's arms still wrapped around her.

“We find a way into the project. We need to take care of Jessica, I need to be back there. I am almost positive I have the cure for Nick but I need my lab in order to finish the process to ensure it works. We wouldn't want Nick scattered into thousands of pieces now would we?” Charles spoke.

“We don't?” Kevin asked quietly.

Julie elbowed him in the stomach and fought to keep the grin off of her face.

“We need to infiltrate the project, get to Jessica's office without being caught.” Steph was now talking. “It might be better if Nick and I go since it will be unexpected for us to show up, once Howie and the others are alerted to our presence then Julie and Kevin could find Jessica.”

Charles took Steph's hands and held her eye contact. “You know that will put you in too much danger.” He smiled at her and smoothed her hair. “You and I will stay back until they tell us that it is safe for us to join them. I trust all three of them to get the job done.”

Steph smacked Charles' hand away and started to stalk out of the room. “When are you going to learn I can make contributions Dad!”

Julie looked up at Kevin and they both mouthed “Dad” to each other. Kevin shrugged, neither one of them knew that Charles was Steph's dad, neither one had ever mentioned it before. Julie's eyes fell on Nick who was not shocked by the sudden news.

Charles looked at the rest of the group sheepishly. “You know where her office is. I can't tell you where everyone will be, but with AJ and Erika out of the picture you really don't have as many volunteers to worry about.”

“There'll be Howie, Brian is likely out of commission according to Julie's reports, Tessa, Justin, Vanessa, Troy, William and Sophia might not be there but if they are you will have them to contend with.” Julie was surprised that Charles knew all their names, she never thought he paid that much attention to what was going on, she always thought Howie ran the daily operations and recruiting.

“So we get in, we find her and then what?” Kevin asked.

Charles shrugged. “That's not my department of expertise,” he said winking at Nick. “Steph and I will be following in precisely one hour, I have work to do in my lab and I cannot delay any further.”

Julie, Nick and Kevin nodded and prepared to jump. Julie steeled herself to the pain and nausea she was becoming all too familiar with feeling again. Julie crossed her fingers as she looked at Charles before the pain ripped through her and she was soon back in the halls of the project.

Julie wasn't sure she could tell what hallway she was walking down, she felt very disoriented. Kevin on the other hand took charge and started walking down the hall, listening for anyone coming their way. Nick walked behind her and they slowly made their way through the halls. They were eerily quiet and Julie wasn't sure if perhaps there wasn't a trap waiting for them when they reached Jessica's office.

“Here,” Kevin whispered and they moved to stand on either side of the door. Kevin carefully turned the doorknob and opened the door. When nothing happened the threesome walked into the room to find Jessica calmly sitting behind her desk, her hands folded neatly in front of her.

“I've been waiting for you to show up. Nick, I might have known you'd somehow come popping back up in our lives. So you were the thorn in my side? The one who planted the seed in Julie's brain.” Nick nodded. All three were shocked she was just sitting there seemingly waiting for them. “Well now, this would be the perfect time to jump away but I was never a match for that gene.”

“You were expecting us?” Julie asked suspiciously. Her eyes darted around looking for signs that Howie and the others would come out of hiding and take them into custody.

“I can tell when I've been defeated. AJ managed to get a message to me before you stranded them in a future time.” She threw a piece of paper in front of her. Julie picked it up and showed it to the other two, the words 'It's over' scrawled on it in AJ's distinctive handwriting.

“I should have cut my losses when I discovered Julie and Kevin were working together to discover the ones behind it. I knew Julie never let anything go and Kevin would follow her anywhere.” She smiled at the two as she spoke. Her words were without malice or sarcasm.

None of the three knew what to do. Jessica simply continued to speak. “These files here,” she motioned to a stack of files on her left. “These prove you are innocent.”

“Do they provide us with the information we will need to put back what you have changed?” Kevin asked.

“My dear man, have you really not noticed that none of these changes have never flagged the concern of our dear Librarian Brian?” The smile on her face was calm and Julie wondered what she was getting at.

“If you are implying Brian was in on it...” Kevin started.

“Oh no, no. He would never have joined us. But surely one of these changes would have come across his desk sooner or later.”

Nick groaned as if a thought came to him suddenly. “The conversation AJ and I had. I didn't think it could really be possible.”

Jessica smiled and nodded at Nick. “You figured it out.”

“What is she talking about Nick?” Julie turned to him and asked, she knew Kevin was also looking in his direction wondering the same thing.

“I went to the future, I saw you two,” he pointed to Kevin and Julie. “I knew you ended up together so I set about to change it. I tried to keep you two apart and it only pushed you together. I was the catalyst that ensured you ended up together. Tell me you didn't think about it after I mentioned it to you Julie. Would you have ended up with Kevin had I not shown up in your car that day and asked you to help me?”

“Who knows for sure Nick.”

Nick shook his head. “The changes AJ said they were making, he told me that they were supposed to happen, it's how they got away with them.”

“I think Nick understands, so with that,” Julie turned her attention back to Jessica who no longer had her hands neatly folded in front of her. In one hand she was pointing a revolver in her direction. Once Nick and Kevin saw it they wasted no time stepping in front of Julie. She could not longer see what was happening. She wanted to leave, to pull Kevin and Nick out the door with her but before she could take a step in that direction the sound of gunfire rang out in the tiny office.