- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What the hell is happening?

She wasn't sure where she was after she jumped. Once her body re-adjusted from the jump, pain racked her stomach and she was jumping again. Again, when the pain subsided but before she looked around to get an idea of where she was, nausea swept through her and she doubled over jumping again. All the years she randomly jumped from time period to time period, she never had jumps this close together.

After the third jump she curled up on the ground, she didn't even bother looking around to determine where she was. She hoped that if she kept her eyes closed and didn't try to look around, maybe that would keep her from jumping.

Keeping her eyes closed Julie reached into her belt feeling around for her device. Fingering it she pulled it out and brought it up to her chest hugging it tight. She needed to get back to Howie, he would know what happened to her and why she was randomly jumping. What was it that Steph injected her with?

Ever so slowly, Julie opened her eyes and looked down at her device. Her heart crushed as she realized the device was smashed. She fidgeted with the dials but nothing would dial correctly. She refused to even try to jump using the faulty device, she did not need her atoms spread through time because the device was broken.

The nauseous feeling from the consecutive jumps was starting to subside so Julie decided to sit up and take a look around where she was, to see if she could figure out what time she was in and maybe why she just randomly jumped again.

She was lying in an alleyway, off to her left a busy street with plenty of cars driving by. She was glad that she ended up in the alleyway and not where many people could watch the scene she just put on. Or worse, at least she didn't end up in the middle of the street and oncoming traffic.

Carefully she stood and made her way towards the street, leaning heavily on the wall of the building next to her. When she reached the end of the alley she took in her location. She gasped as she realized that it looked very much like she was only streets away from The Library. Could it be that she was back?

She started wandering the streets hoping that she was in any time frame that The Library existed, if it was before twenty-twelve she was in trouble but if it was after that she could get inside and contact home.

She almost felt fully recovered by the time she turned down the street The Library was located on. She eyed the cafe that sat across the street and her stomach growled. She was always hungry after a jump. She wanted desperately to go inside and order a burger and a milkshake but she needed to find Howie, she needed him to fix her.

Julie climbed the stairs to the building The Library was in and pulled on the door, it didn't open. She sighed mentally slapping herself for forgetting that she needed to unlock the door with her palm print. She found the metal plate next to the door and placed her hand on it, the familiar warmth flowed through her and she heard the door lock click released.

She flew through the door, “Hello,” She called out. Nobody answered so she ran to the stairs to lead to the basement floors. “Hello,” she called out again.

“Julie?” Erika questioned.

“Oh thank god!” she exclaimed as she pulled Erika into an embrace, startling her.

“What's going on?” Erika asked.

“I need to speak with Howie,” Julie started running down the hall to Howie's office. She had to get it straightened out again before she started jumping randomly.

“Julie,” Erika called after her. “Where have you been?”

She hadn't been gone that long that people were already starting to wonder and look for her, had she? She thought back to Germany, she wasn't even there a full day and all the little jumps, those couldn't have taken more than an hour. “What do you mean?”

“You've been gone for two weeks, nobody could find you. Kevin is out searching for you, he is worried sick. We were beginning to fear the worst. Kevin showed us your note, why did you think going after Steph alone was a good idea? Where have you been all this time, were you captured?”

Julie shook her head. “I've only been gone for at most half of a day.” She turned back and started back down the hall towards Howie's office. “I need to talk to Howie, something strange is going on.”

She knocked lightly and opened the office door a crack. “Hello,” she called out quietly. “Howie?” The lights were on and she saw Howie's back to her.

“Julie?” he questioned as he turned around. “Where have you...” Julie held up her hand to stop him.

“I haven't been gone two weeks, I am not sure what is going on but something is happening to me.” She pulled out her broken device. “Yes I went after Steph alone, it might not have been my best move but I am impulsive, you all know that. I found her and we got into a fight, she injected me with something and I started randomly jumping again. Howie I thought you said I would never encounter chemicals that would make me jump like that again?”

“Did I? I don't recall having that conversation with you, but it is true. To encounter all the correct chemical components to start randomly jumping again would be extremely difficult. You say you started again though?”

Julie nodded, “Almost right after Steph injected something into my neck.” Julie touched the spot on her neck that Steph, she felt a small bump there now.

“Let's run some tests,” Howie indicated for her to sit on a nearby stool so that he could take some blood.

“Can you inject me again with that stuff so that I won't jump?” Julie asked anxious. She did not want to be home and then randomly jump away again.

“I can't inject you if I don't know the cause. If I inject you again you could lose the DNA altogether and be incapable of time travel.” Howie laid it out for her. She thought about it for a brief minute, being unable to jump she would never randomly jump again but then she also would be of little or no use to the project.

“I'll wait.” She turned when the door to the room was slammed open, a worried Kevin searching for her.

“Julie,” he breathed out in relief. “I happened to be back for some supplies before going off to look for you again when Erika told me you were back.” He grabbed hold of her and held her tight. She had to admit it felt good to be in his arms after not knowing when she would see him again. “Never do that again, I couldn't bear it,” he whispered.

“What happened?” He asked after he regained composure and let her go. She grabbed hold of his hand and pulled it into her lap holding it for comfort.

“I just told Howie that I have only been gone for maybe half of a day. I went to find Steph and when I caught up to her, we fought, again.” She rolled her eyes before Kevin could say anything about the fighting. “When I thought I had her, she managed to get free and pulled out this device, I don't know how to describe it except to say it was tubular. She injected me with something but I know I did not feel a needle pierce my skin. I felt horrible pretty much right away and then shortly after I started jumping without the aid of my device.”

“I took some blood and will run some tests. Why don't you take her back to her room and let her recover.” Howie looked at Kevin. “Not like this is going to be a hard assignment but hold tight to her, our only hope if she jumps again is if you are holding her. It's a long shot, but, it's the best thing I can come up with right now.”

Still holding Kevin's hand tightly, Julie stood up and moved with him to the door. “Let me know as soon as you have something,” She said over her shoulder to Howie before leaving the room with Kevin and heading to their own.

Kevin pulled her close as they walked, “I missed you.” He whispered above her head.

Julie leaned closer to him allowing him to wrap his arm around her shoulder. She would like to return the sentiment but to her she'd been gone only a few hours not weeks. What exactly was she injected with?