- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Howie's lab is spooky

No matter how many times Julie went into Howie's laboratory she felt uneasy about what was going to happen to her while she was there. When they got there, Howie was nowhere to be seen so Kevin opted to go look for the man leaving Julie alone in the lab by herself.

To fight her nerves, Julie started looking around at some of the papers on his desk hoping she would find her paperwork and read it before Howie could possibly swing it a different way. She found no papers with her name but one other caught her eye and she continued to read. Her eyes glanced over it and she quickly put it back when she heard the door open to allow Kevin and Howie to enter.

She tried to process what she saw before Howie started talking to her about her condition. It appeared as if Howie had applied for a grant for some of his research and he was denied. There was also mention of Charles and how the company the grant was from wanted him on the project or there would be no money. Julie couldn't imagine what it was like for someone who was obviously very intelligent, like Howie, to live in the shadow of Charles.

“Good news Julie,” Howie smiled warmly at her as he approached her. She avoided looking at the papers afraid he would figure out she was snooping if she did.

“Yes?” she asked smiling and glancing at Kevin. “I won't jump anymore?”

“I do not see any changes to your DNA. It is stable and I see no reason that you should jump again, randomly. I read your report, and though it was written hastily, you mentioned something about a fight with Steph. I examined your device and it appears that when you fought the device broke and spurred your sudden, random jumping.”

Julie took in what she was being told. She supposed it could be possible that Steph broke her device, but she didn't recall ever being hit or kicked on her thigh. She also did not recall landing on her leg where the device was. It was a logical explanation though and it put her mind at ease when she accepted it as fact.

“Was there anything in my blood? She did inject me with something; I did not make that up.” She didn't think anyone thought she was lying but she wanted to know about the injection. The way she felt afterwords could not have meant she gave Julie a vaccine, it had to be bad.

Howie looked at the papers in front of him and flipped through a few times before he answered her. “I did detect a small virus in your blood stream. It was likely she injected you with a larger dose that you would feel the effects and then she could make her escape. The virus would have a hard time sustaining itself through your jumps, so it's likely that the multiple jumps helped wipe it out and now your body is fighting off the remainder of the virus.” Howie patted her arm. “I suggest you go back to your room and get some rest and fight off the remainder of that virus so you are in tip top condition to continue the search for Steph.”

Julie nodded and pulled Howie into a hug. “Thank you,” she told him, relieved that she was done randomly jumping. She walked towards the door and turned back waiting for Kevin.

“Howie and I have things we need to discuss,” He looked at her apologetically. She was a little disappointed and she could tell that he would rather be joining her in their room too instead of meeting with Howie. She was sure he was relieved she wouldn't jump too, but now the search for Charles needed to resume. “I will hopefully be there soon,” he smirked at her and she grinned back at him. For now she would have to settle with resting alone.

On her way back to her room Julie stopped by the clothing room to visit with Tessa. She entered the room and was a little disappointed when she did not see her friend. She must have still been in a briefing with Jessica. Julie sighed and made her way back towards her own room jumping slightly when she opened the door and almost ran into Justin.

“Hi,” She said, “don't you have a training to be in?” She asked him playfully, perhaps he had ditched out early.

“That ended ten minutes ago, I was looking for Tessa so we could go over our new mission.” Justin said straight faced.

“She's not here; I thought she was with you.” Julie added before shrugging. “She's probably changing or in the restroom, you know how us ladies are, especially when we find out we are going on a mission without the finer things in life, like showers and proper toilets.”

Justin only looked at her, not even a smile breaking out on his face. She stepped aside as he entered the room and walked towards the chair Tessa usually sat in. Julie shrugged her shoulders and exited the room. She's always thought Justin was a strange one when he first became a volunteer. He seemed distant from everyone, but he was like a puppy with Tessa. He followed her everywhere. Maybe it was how he showed her that he cared for her?

Julie shrugged it off and continued walking to her room. She sighed when she walked inside and threw herself down on the bed after shutting the door. She felt comfortable and it didn't take long for sleep to overcome her. When she woke up she felt a body next to her, she was now under the covers as well. She must have slept until Kevin came in for bed. She knew he was not one for napping.

She threw her arm over him and snuggled closer sighing in comfort. Her eyes started to drift closed again when Kevin rolled over to face her, only it wasn't Kevin. Nick lay there, next to her, smiling at her, his eyes twinkling in delight. Julie screamed and sat straight up in her bed, she looked around. Nobody was in the bed next to her and she was still on top of the covers. She looked at the clock next to the bed; she'd only been asleep for thirty minutes.

She walked into her bathroom and ran a cloth under cold water and proceeded to pat her face. “He's dead,” she told herself. Shaking herself she wandered back into the room and threw herself on the sofa, flipping on the television. It always amazed her how she went from a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen and living room to sharing a room with a bed, sofa and tiny bathroom and she was happier.

She found a station that played reruns and settled down to watch episodes of shows that were new in twenty-twelve. Just as she got comfortable on the couch her eyes started to drift closed again.

“Julie,” a soft voice spoke to her. She blinked her eyes a few times and smiled when she saw Kevin sitting on the floor next to her running his fingers through her hair. “That meeting went longer than I thought it would, I'm sorry.” He kissed her forehead. “Are you feeling any better?”

“I wasn't really feeling bad to begin with, just had a fear of randomly jumping again.” She sat up so Kevin could sit next to her. He sat and pulled her into his arms.

“I like this,” she whispered to him as they sat watching the television. They were both at rest; it was rare for them to spend time together. They had just started talking about dinner plans when Julie felt the all too familiar feeling growing in the pit of her stomach. She keeled over, Kevin's arms still wrapped around her.

“Julie?” Kevin questioned her.

The nausea overcame her and the pain made it unbearable to move or speak. She screamed as she felt the world around her slip away. Howie was wrong, she could still jump randomly. She could only hope that with Kevin holding her he would go with her, he was wearing his device.