- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Yes it's Saturday again which means....no update til tuesday. Bummer I know but I am sadly at the mercy of the library comps and will be for awhile. So thanks for hangin in with me, thanks for all the lovely reviews, and enjoy today's installment :)


P.S. Thanks to my girl Skylar for all the brainstorming sessions you share with me. You Rock!


“Come on Brian. What the hell is the hold up? I'm freezing my ass off back here,”AJ said as he and Rochelle brought up the rear of the remaining guests.

“That's what I'd like to know,”he answered without turning around.

“Let's figure it out where it's nice and warm okay? I'm freezing my ass off too and I actually have one,”Howie said; taking aim at AJ's lack thereof. Leigh and Rochelle giggled.

AJ glared at him.”Sleep with one eye open Dorough.”

“Lighten up Age. We're all cold and until Brian moves his ass we aren't going anywhere.”Noting their departure from the door frame, “Finally!”

“About damn time!”AJ grumbled.

“Now what's going on?”Brian demanded.

Skylar looked at the two men one more time then to Brian.”Why don't you ask these assholes? I'm done.” And walked away.

“What'd you do Nick?”

“Don't look at me man! It was his idea,”Nick answered defensively.

“Now why don't I buy that?”

“It's the truth,"Kevin replied solemnly.

“Um girls, why don't we go find our rooms and give the guys a minute,”Leighanne suggested.

They agreed and once the girls were gone, AJ made an off the cuff suggestion not realizing it was true.”What'd you do Nick? Fuck her?”

When he didn't respond, Brian looked at him disbelievingly.”How could you Nick?”

“Because I wanted her and HE was involved too.”

“Whoa ! Whoa! Whoa! This is only shit I do you two but seriously? You both did her at the same time?”AJ didn't know whether to be horrified or proud that Nick had learned something from him after all those years of being on the road. He'd sown his oats and his woman knew it .Nick and Kevin. Five years ago, they still would have torn each other limb from limb for a woman's attention. Just the attention. Not necessarily bedding her. Kevin was still married at that time but it was the thrill of knowing that he still could have any woman regardless.

“Uh yeah.”

“Wow Kev. You speechless with us? This is a first,”AJ teased.

“ I don't believe this. This is a woman you're talking about you guys. One we know. Don't you love her anymore Kev?”Brian said. He was still in shock but knew it was bound to happen eventually. He knew his cousin loved her but there was that question that nobody was asking him.”Don't you love her anymore?”

Good question. He still loved her but wasn't sure he was in love with her after all this time and he'd seen the attraction between the two of them. It wasn't just a physical thing. They could deny it all they wanted but he saw something he didn't to see. When he watched Nick touch her and talk to her in that bed, there was no way he could deny there was something more. He knew he couldn't live without her but at the same time he also knew he couldn't hold her when there was nothing left to hold.

“It's a simple question Cuz. Do you or don't you love her?”


“Not the way I should.”




Leighanne knocked on the door and knocked softly on the cracked door before entering.”Can I come in?”

“Sure,”Skylar said as she frantically rushed to get her suitcase packed. She just couldn't stay any longer. She loved Kevin but even she was seeing the signs of them not being in love like they used to be. He may have never kissed her in public but when they were alone...well, he knew how to treat her. It wasn't enough though anymore. She wanted someone that would come home and drag her away from the stove long enough for dinner to burn as they made mad, crazy love on the table where they were supposed to eat. Nick seemed to be that impulsive that she needed. Fuck she was confused.

Leighanne sat down o the edge of bed and said,”Wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.”

“I think you do.”

“Leighanne I know you're only trying to help but I really don't know what to say. I'm really confused and the further away I get from this god forsaken place, the better off I'll be.”

“So you think running away is a better option than staying and facing your fear?”

“What are you talking about?” Skylar stopped in her tracks.

“I saw the look in Nick's eyes as you were walking away. He's in love with you and you're afraid to let Kevin go because you don't want to hurt him right?”

“I don't know what I want Leigh! I just know I'm confused and I need to get out of here. FAST!”

“I understand. Believe me. It's scary when you know it's right.”

“But I don't know that Leigh.” She sat down beside her.

“You do know or you wouldn't be this torn up over what to do.”

“Knock, knock. Can I come in?” Leigh tapped lightly on the door frame.

“Why not?” Skylar motioned her to join them.

“So have we hit the part where Nick's in love with you yet?”

“What? Am I the only one that doesn't know?”

“Really Sky? Why do you think he does all those things to annoy you?”

“Because he likes to piss me off.”

“I think you know the answer,”Leighanne said.

“Do I?”

“Think about it. Remember the little boy in grade school that always used to do something like pull your ponytail or flip your pretty little dress up so everybody would see your panties?”

Skylar nodded; not really sure where they were going with this.

“The reason he's been doing all that annoying stuff is the same reason that little boy was doing it then. To get your attention. And it worked. Only you thought it was annoying.”

“Still do.”

“But he's got more than just your attention now doesn't he?”

“What am I gonna do?” Letting out a frustrated sigh as her head dropped against Leighanne's shoulder.

Her arm went around her friend to comfort.” You know what you have to do.”

“I don' t want to hurt him though.”

“I know but somebody's going to get hurt no matter what.”


And with that advice in mind, after everyone had gone to bed , she quietly grabbed her things, took the keys to the rental and drove off into the night. That way nobody had any more say in her affairs of the heart.