- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Chapter number two for today. Enjoy!

“You're sure about this?” His eyes rose from where they landed on the floor.

“I confirmed it with my doctor before we left so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm with child,”Skylar snipped. The asshole. He had to go and do this now?! Granted, she was confused but still. Now?! Incredible!

“So how far along are you?”

“Why do you care now?”

“I'm not that heartless Skylar. We just don't fit anymore but I won't not take care of my child.”

“Why don't I believe that?” She was still keeping a good distance between them.

“You don't have to believe it. I think you know the truth. So?” His brow rose questionly as to answer for how far along she was.

“Two and a half months today.”

“Why didn't you tell me before we left?”

“Maybe because I wanted to have a couple of romantic days with my guy before the rest of them came up and then we were going to tell them together. But thanks to Nick and his hair brained scheme, none of that happened.”

“Now hold on just a minute! He wasn't the only one to blame there Skylar. It was mostly my idea. He only had a part in it.”

“Well thank you so much for clearing that up! Do you really think I'm any less pissed off at either one of you?!”

“I think you're angry because you don't know what you're feeling. I'm trying to help here.”

“Get out!”

“Sky. Please.”

“No. I'll make sure my things are gone by the time you get home. It'll be easier that way.”

“Aren't you even going to give this a chance?”

“Give Nick a chance? Why should I?”

“Because he's in love with you.”

“Yeah right.”

“He is. I think maybe you should talk to him.”

“Why are you still here?!” She glared at him.

“God you are so damned stubborn!”

“I learned from the best!” She yelled at the closed door.

“I really am sorry.” The door closing behind him. He arrived in the diner a few minutes later and sat down across from Nick in the booth. How was he going to tell Nick she was pregnant? Maybe it wasn't his place to say anything.

“So what happened.?”

“I don't know but she's not happy.”

“I have to talk to her.”

“I don't think that's a good idea.”

“Why? Because she's pissed off at you?!”

“No. Because she's pissed off at you.”

“She's always pissed off at me. I'm good at getting around it. What room is she in?”

“Nick. Please. Just let it go.” The waitress came by and he ordered a cup of coffee.

“Kevin. You owe me this.”

He sighed and reluctantly gave him the room number. He watched Nick leave and the waitress returned with his coffee. He smiled graciously and doctored his coffee up with some cream and sugar. He lifted the piping hot cup to his lips and prayed to God Nick did better than he did. He had to let her go. It was best for both of them.



Nick knocked and waited patiently for her to answer. The old man might have screwed up but he'd be damned if he was going to let her leave here without a fight.

Skylar looked through the peephole and saw him. She should have known he send reinforcements. She exhausted a frustrated breath and open the door. “Let's get this overwith.”

“Do you think I'm here because of Kevin?”

“Why else would you be here?” She sat down on the bed.

Kneeling down next to her, he looked into her eyes. She'd been crying. Kevin did it. He must have broke it off with her.”To see you. I was the one that wanted to come find you. It wasn't his idea.”

“Why?”

Taking her hands in his, he said,”Because I'm in love with you Sky. I have been for a long time. I don't expect you to return my feelings right away. In fact I'm hoping you take some time to get to know me before you make that decision. I know I want to know more of you than what we found in the bedroom.”

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

“Do you want me to be my usual ass because I can turn him on right now if you want.”

“Would make things so much easier,”She quipped. Kevin obviously hadn't told him about the baby and she wasn't used to this side of Nick. He did have feelings. Ugh! This should not be happening right now. He smiled that charming smile that just melted hearts the world round and she was toast. She knew it was too soon to be feeling for another man but was it really? Maybe she'd been feeling for him without even knowing it.

“I'm not sure what I'm asking right now. I just think it wouldn't hurt to give things a chance before we decide.”

“I don't know Nick. I'm really confused right now. Are you willing to give me that time?”

“I understand you need time. Take it. I've waited this long. What's another three years?” He joked.

“I'm supposed to be mad at you.”

“And I wouldn't blame you one bit. I know I went about things the wrong way. I'm not denying it. I just want to know that you'll think about forgiving me.”

Ugh! Despite all the aggravation over the years, she could never stay mad for very long. Maybe there was a reason for that too. She should be oblivious to his charms but she fell prey just like every other woman in the world that was head over heels for him. But she wasn't head over heels for him. Not yet anyway. Why did she just want to kiss him? Because she needed to feel loved. Nick had pushed the hair back off of her face.” I really want to kiss you and don't have the slightest idea why.”

“Me neither but feel free to use me any way you see fit.”

And like that , her mouth was on his;the hunger being fed. She eased back onto the bed and he came down over her; their lips losing contact for only seconds before the desire consumed them again. He felt good. God did he feel good! His tongue slid between her lips; tasting and taunting her all at the same time. Maybe it was lust but it was what she needed at that very moment. She felt Nick's hand slide under her blouse and she pulled out of their kiss. Fuck! She had to gain a conscience now.”Nick. I can't do this. As good as it feels, I just can't. Not now.”


He rolled off to the side. “It's okay.”

“It is?”

“Yeah.”Taking her hand and pulling it to his lips.”We've got plenty of time for this.”

“That's just it. I don't know if I'll ever be ready again.”

“That's just the chance I have to take. That's if you're willing to give it to me.”