- Text Size +
Krista kept calling her and she kept avoiding her calls with work and her dates with Nick. That was confusing the hell out of her at the moment. She'd been enjoying herself but she really was starting to long for those routine things she had with Kevin. And Mason. That poor child. She could just see Kevin trying to explain this one to him. After a long, breathless goodnight kiss with Nick that night two weeks later, she dialed Krista's number. She needed her friend. More now than ever.

“So now you're ready to talk?” Krista said half asleep.

“I'm sorry. And I'm sorry I've been avoiding your calls. I know I can talk to you about anything but my life is a mess right now.”

“So tell me what's going on.”Krista sat up in her bed and switched on the lamp on the bedside table. It was a rare occasion that she was in bed this early but she'd been working on her book non stop all day and her eyes started drooping.

“Where do I start?”

“Well let's start with your living arrangement for starters. I called Kevin's place to find out you weren't living there anymore.”

“I guess that's where I need to start.”After giving her the whole long drawn out tale of how she got to where she was with Nick, she waited for Krista lay into her but all her friend had done was ask if she was happy. Was she?” I don't know. Some days I'm glad he did what he did while others I wish he'd just come back in and sweep me off my feet.”

“What about Nick?”

That was a good question. What about Nick? He'd been so patient and giving her time. Physically, it was all there with them but when it came to the heart, she wasn't sure she was giving him a hundred percent of hers. Not like he had.” That's just it. It's explosive when we connect on the physical part but.......

“But he doesn't have your heart. Am I right? Krista interrupted. She knew how in love her friend was with Kevin. She wished she was there to put her arms around her friend and just give her a great big old hug; telling her everything would work out. But she wasn't.


She nodded.” You know me too well.”

“It's all good. You'd do the same for me. This Nick sounds like a prince to me though.”

“Oh he is but he's not mine.” God he'd be so perfect for Krista she thought.” He's a good guy and some girl is gonna be very lucky one day. I know I said he was annoying but that was before I really got to know him.”

“You've known him for three years Sky.”

“No. I've known an annoying boy for the last three years. I known a very charming and smart man for the last month.”

“You don't want to hurt him do you?”

“No.”

“You won't. I'm sure you'll work it out. Lie to me and tell me I helped Sky.”

“You have. It's not a lie. I'll take care of it tomorrow. I just hope Kevin feels the same.”

“Sky, I've seen the way he is with you and I can tell you one thing. The month you've been away from him has most likely been killing him as much as it has you. You'll be fine.”

“Thanks Krista. I really needed to hear that. So when are you going to come see me smexy?” Her nickname for her friend.

“As soon as you get your shit back together. Sooner maybe.”She laughed. “Take care of yourself and that baby you hear? Too much stress on the body is not good.”

“You sound like my Mother.”

“But being as I'm closer to being one, you're gonna have me on your ass lady.”

“Fine. I'll keep you updated. Sweet dreams!”

“Back atcha,”Krista said as they both hung up.



The next afternoon, she called Nick to see if he could spare a few minutes. Her partner had taken over operations for the day. Not like it was complicated or nothing Jules was the on call if any of their nannies ran into any trouble. She made sure she was ready when Nick arrived. She sat in a chair and he sat down on the couch. After everything they'd been through, this felt a little awkward. After all, it's not like she thought he was a bad guy. She just didn't want to date him anymore. They could be friends couldn't they?

Why'd it feel so uncomfortable? He was sure he was here because she wasn't feeling this anymore. Truth be told, he wasn't either. He thought he was in love with her. It was when she called that morning that he realized what he'd been feeling for her was a schoolboy crush. Nothing more. Since neither of them was saying anything, he broke the silence.” This isn't feeling right is it?”

“You noticed that too?”


“Sky, I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what I felt for you was nothing more than-

“Hold that thought,”Skylar interrupted before going to answer the door. When she opened the door,she couldn't believe what she was seeing. “Hi.”

“Can I come in?”

“Well I've kinda got company.” Her heart was racing. Was this really happening?

“I don't care. I've been wandering around that nice big house for the last month, sleeping with your favorite necklace on the bedside table just to have you near me. I thought I was doing the right thing by letting you go. I was so wrong. I'm just hoping it's not too late for us.”

She knew what he was going through because she'd had a few sleepless nights herself but all she could think about was the fact that he'd kept a part of her near him all this time.”You still have my necklace?”

“You left it on the dresser when you moved out. I didn't notice it even until a couple of weeks ago. Sky, I miss you so much.”

“I missed you too,”she said and pulled his mouth to hers. Yeah, this was definitely the stuff she was missing. But it wasn't all just physical. With him, it was every part. He was kissing her with his heart.
They just fit. She didn't even realize she'd forgot about Nick until she heard his throat clearing.


Kevin looked to find Nick standing there.

” I was gonna leave but you two were blocking the door,”Nick remarked.

“By all means,”he replied.

:”Kevin,”Skylar warned.

“What?”

“He was just here to talk this time. We knew it wasn't working. That's why I asked him to come over and talk. We'd both been thinking the same thing.”

“So you're not in love with her?”

“Kev, I never was in love with her. It was just the idea of being in love with her that I was in love with. I knew a week ago that things just weren't working on that level for her and I'm sorry about everything that happened. Forgive me?”

“I think we're both to blame here but we're good if you can forgive me.”

“We're cool. I'll let you two get back to making up there.” He wished he could find something that good in his life. Maybe one day he would.

“So you and Nick?”Kevin turned back to her.

“Physically we agreed but we didn't connect where it mattered. You've always had my heart.”

“And you've always had mine. Speaking of which, he pulled the tiny box out of his pocket and handed it to her.

“What's this?” She looked at him curiously.

“Just open it.”

“Okay.”She lifted the small lid to find her favorite necklace sitting there. She bit her lip to hold back the happy tears but they came anyway.”Will you put it on me?” she sniffled.

“Of course,”he replied; stepping behind; watching as she pulled the long red strands off her neck.

After he put it on her, she turned to face him.”Next time Nick tries to talk you into something, wear earplugs okay?”

He chuckled.”You got it.” He pulled her into his arms.”I'm never letting you go again..”And kissed her softly. Just as he was about to turn things up though, his cell phone went off. Pulling away from her, he pulled it out of his pocket and saw that it was Mason.

“Hey Daddy!”

“Hey buddy! How's it going? Are you being good for Jules?”

“Yeah but did you make up with Skylar Daddy?”

“She's right here. Wanna talk to her?”

“Yeah!”

He smiled as he handed the phone over to Skylar.”Hey munchkin. How's life been treatin you?”

She was so good with him. No wonder he wanted to call her Mommy.

“I miss you Sky. When are you coming home?”

“Soon. I hope.”

“Let me talk to my Daddy again okay?”

“Okay kiddo. Love you bunches.”

“Love you too ladybug!”He said as she handed the phone back to Kevin.

It was cute. They'd found a ladybug together one of the first times she spent with him and it just kind of stuck as Mason's nickname for her.

“So Daddy, When is Skylar coming home?”His little voice filled with the hope that it would be soon.

“I don't know. When do you want her to come home?”

“I want her to come home with you today.”

“Then I guess that means she's coming home today.” This time it would be to stay.
Chapter End Notes:


Is this the end or the beginning for somebody else? You tell me! :) Thanks for reading!