- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

AT mercy of library comps so it'll be a couple days b4 next update. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

She leaned against the door; catching her breath. It had to be flat out lust because she would never in a million years do this to Kevin. Kevin would kill Nick, scratch that, any man that touched her. The age difference may have made that difference. What guy didn't want a hot, younger woman but it wasn't just that. Love really knows no age but when it picks you up and sweeps you away, it's the best thing in the world. Nick was always attractive but in the last few years, especially since she'd met him. She'd been a fan of the music before but it was her work that brought she and Kevin together. With him losing his wife and needing someone there for his boy, it couldn't have been a better opportunity for her. She now provided nanny service to half of L.A. And with a partner, they were both able to take a break. Like now. But she was straying. In a way it was weird to know that you'd seen this guy go from a wiry sixteen year old boy to a confident and hot thirty two year old man. In all the time she'd actually known him, he never seemed this sure of himself. Well she didn't help matters any by looking at him like a fat kid eying a piece of chocolate cake. He was using it to his full advantage too.
She'd been ignoring his incessant beating on the door. He didn't have any shoes on so he was colder that shit.”Dammit Sky! Let me in! It's fucking freezing out here!”
“Good! You need to cool your ass off!”
“God Sky! I made a mistake but you were there too!”
“You just don't get it do you?!”
“Let me in and explain it to me so I don't get fucking frostbite!”
“No! You can rot in hell for all I care right now!”
“You don't mean that.”
“Yes I do! Kevin's going to have your ass when he finds out about this!”
“Dammit Sky! It happened. He doesn't have to know!” He knew he was playing with fire when it came to her but just from that brief moment he wanted to burn some more. He didn't care what Kevin thought this time. If he was going to die, he was going to die a happy man at least.
“I never lie to him Nick! That's why he and I work! Now leave me alone!”
“You're just gonna leave me out here to freeze my ass off?!”
“Yes! Maybe you'll think twice about messing with me after a few hours out there in the arctic!” She went and sat down in the reclining rocking chair; flipping the television to drown out the sound of Nick's voice begging her to let him. He'd either give up or eventually lose his voice. She prayed for the latter.



An hour and a half later, Kevin pulled up the drive and saw Nick shivering against the railing of the deck. This was the best laugh he'd had all year. Opening the door of the vehicle, he stopped laughing long enough to say,”So what'd you do to piss her off this time?”
“Nothing!”Nick lied. Whether she told him or not was another matter.”She's gone psycho man!”
“Hold on. I'll be right up.” Grabbing a couple of bags, he closed the car door and made his way up to the cabin.
“Shit Kev! Could you hurry just this once please? I'm freezing to death.”
“How long you been out here?”
“Almost as long as you've been gone.”His teeth chattering.
He turned the key in the lock and looked at Skylar. She didn't even acknowledge their presence. Something was up. Nick had literally pushed him out of the way and was down the hall before he'd even got in the door himself. Setting the bags on the counter, he walked into the living room and knelt down next to the chair she was in.”Wanna tell me what's going on?”
“Not really.”
“Wanna tell me why you locked our young blond friend out in the cold and snow?” His hand sliding over her arm.
She didn't know if she had the strength to tell him the truth now. She was going to earlier but when she turned her attention to him and those gorgeous green eyes of his, she just couldn't. It would kill him. Nick was right. It was just a mistake. One she'd like to make again. God! She never in a million years thought she'd let Nick get this far under her skin but it took him all of 24 hours to finally make his way there.”He was just being his usual charming self baby.”
“I know you Skylar. What'd he do?”
“It's what I did Kev.”
“I don't get it. Usually he does something to get you all worked up.”
Oh he did get me worked up alright.”It's nothing Kevin. Really. Let me get my shoes on and I'll help you get the groceries okay?”
“Okay.” But he wasn't going to let up until he found out the truth. And he would. That evening after they'd all sat and ate in silence. Nick had stayed in his room warming up the better part of the day. So far he hadn't got sick. Didn't need that this week.”Okay you two, I'm all for a little piece and quiet but you guys are carrying it to a whole new extreme. What gives?” Looking back and forth between them for an answer.
Skylar said,”My Mom always told me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I'm just putting it to use for now.”
Nick snorted.”Yeah. Right.”
“Come on you guys. I know you don't get along very well but I'd like to know why she locked your ass out in the snow this afternoon. What'd you do? Make another pass at her loverboy?” he joked.
He looked across the table at her and knew she was going to say it. Better he lose his life by his own admission than to hear it from her.” I kissed her.”