- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As promised :)

“He's kidding right?”Kevin's elbows rest on the table; arms folded over. Any other time he would have beat the man to his death for even making a pass at Skylar. Why he wasn't pissed off at Nick, he couldn't understand. Nick was just a kid. No he wasn't. He's a man just like you. He loves women. Especially women that find him resistible. He lives for the challenge. He looked to Skylar for an answer. He didn't like what he saw. For the first time in three years, she was unable to look him in the eye.
She hated what she'd done but there was no way around this. He was who he was and he would find out. Didn't matter when he did. He'd kill Nick. That much she did know. Her eyes slowly rose level with Kevin's.”I'd like to say it didn't but-”
“That's why she locked your ass out?” Kevin turned back to Nick; interrupting Skylar.
He nodded. This was the first time he couldn't read Kevin. He was cool and calm. That's when Kevin scared him the most. Just a time bomb that would blow when you least expected it. Kevin should have blown the minute he said he kissed Skylar but nothing. Like he didn't believe he would do it or something.
“That's it?”Leaning back in his chair; arms now folded across his chest. Maybe Nick was something Skylar needed to get out of her system before they got settled down. He could be reasonable when he wanted to be but Skylar was his woman. The one that had become the best part of his life since he'd lost Kristin. He really thought she'd be that in between before he found somebody but now he didn't know what he'd do without her. Would it be so terrible to let her have one night with him? “Just a kiss?”
“Um, yeah.”
“Is it going to happen again?” He had to put on some sort of facade before they both got suspicious. He wasn't very good at hiding his anger and that was something everybody knew. Not just the two of them.
“You're seriously not going to kick my ass from here to Timbuktu?”Nick looked at him in shock.
“It was just a kiss.”
“Okay. What'd you do with my boyfriend?”Skylar demanded. She knew something was up and she didn't like the way he was acting.
Taking her hand at the corner of the table.”Nothing. I'm just trying to be reasonable. It was a silly little kiss. I can deal with that.”
“But I can't deal with you being so nice about it,”she said; pushing her chair out and getting up. She started clearing the table and took a trip into the kitchen.
“You're seriously not going to kill me?” Nick said; still in utter disbelief. Something was up and he didn't like when Kev's mind went to work.
“No,”Kevin replied.
Nick exhausted a sigh of relief as Skylar entered the room to clear the remaining dishes. She glared at Kevin but didn't even venture to look at Nick because she knew he was taking a long distance journey over her. Even after everything that had gone down.
“I'll be back. I've gotta take care of this.”Kevin rose from the table and left Nick alone. “Skylar. We need to talk.”
“When you find my boyfriend we'll talk,”she replied; scraping the scraps off one of the plates before sticking it in the dishwasher.
Before she could get another one in, he stepped between her and the dishwasher.”Why do you want me to be mad? It was just a kiss. Its not like you cheated on me.”
“So kissing in your book isn't cheating?”
“I didn't mean that. I just meant you didn't sleep with the guy. What's the harm?”
“It's the fact that you didn't want to bash his skull in the minute you found out he'd done it. Like this wasn't the worst thing he's ever done to you.”
“I just don't see why it's such a big deal. Yeah I'm mad that he touched you but I'm not gonna beat him to a bloody pulp just because you want me to.”
“Used to be a time when you would fight for me.”
“Is that what this is about? That I'm not fighting for you?” He took her hand and tilted her chin to meet his eyes.”Do you honestly think I would never fight for you again?”
“After tonight, I'm not sure what to think.”
“I love you and I'd do anything in the world for you baby but Nick's suffering enough thinking that I could hurt him.”
“Well psychological warfare is better than nothing at all.”
“See. I am fighting for you. Just a little more roundabout way. Forgive me?”
“Forgive you? I thought I should be begging your ass for forgiveness right about now.”
“Then we're good?”
She answered him with a kiss. Brutally honest and lingering so Nick had a bird's eye view.
Kevin pulled away and said,” He's gone.”
“You think that was for his benefit?”
I know it was. It doesn't bother me so much that you're attracted to him, it the fact that you're trying to deny it.”
“So you want me to admit that I have the hots for your friend?!”
“Not really but I don't want you denying what you feel either.”
“Well then, why don't I just drag his ass out here and fuck him while you watch?!”She replied sarcastically.
Kevin cocked his brow like it wasn't the worst idea in the world.
Skylar stared at him disbelievingly. This was so not the man she knew and loved but if he wanted to play it that way.”Nick! Gt your ass out here now because I know you're listening.”
“So what of it?” He said as he approached.
The second he was close enough, she grabbed his open collar and pulled his mouth to hers. Her grip tightened on the material as he welcomed the invitation of her mouth connecting to his.
He was going to die but he wasn't about to question her motive. Seemed like it was over before it started though. She slid out of his arms just as quickly as she'd entered them and walked away. What the?! A door slammed before either one of them snapped out of it. Not venturing to risk his life now, he started backing out of the kitchen. Just as he turned to make a mad dash for his room.....
“Stop!” Kevin ordered.
He was going to die He just knew it.
“Turn around. I'm not going to kill you.”
Nick turned back to Kevin cautiously and saw the look on Kevin's face. He was just as confused as Nick himself was.
“It's okay. I'll see what's going on. Then I'll decide your fate.”
“Really? We're grown men and you're gonna treat me like I took your favorite shirt and hid it so you couldn't go out and party that night?”
“This isn't my favorite shirt we're talking about. This is my girlfriend you're weaseling in on.”
“I didn't do anything this time Kev. She kissed me man!”
“Well you didn't have to like it so damned much!”
“Don't you?”Kevin was practically in his face now. It was time to take a stand. The man needed to realize he wasn't a frightened little thirteen year old that didn't know any better. He knew damn well what was going on.
“She's my girlfriend!”He hated that Nick wasn't backing down. It was easier when Nick didn't know what was going on.
“That's right! She's just a girlfriend and until you put a ring on her finger, she's fair game.”
“You think I don't love her?!”
“I know you do but if she's so madly in love with you, makes you wonder why her eyes are wandering all of a sudden now doesn't it?”
Kevin groaned and walked away from Nick. Why did he have to start making sense now? He arrived at his and Skylar's room and turned the handle. She was pissed.”Sky? Baby? Come on. Let's talk about this.” No response. “Come on darlin. Let's talk about this.” Still no response. Maybe she just needed a little more time. He went back down to find Nick still standing near the breakfast bar. He had the remote control and was surfing through the channels on TV. There weren't many available at the time it seemed.
“Giving you the silent treatment too?”
“You deserved what you got Carter!”Kevin bellowed as sat down on the couch.
“Maybe but I wouldn't look forward to having anymore company up here anytime soon.”
“How's that?”
“The weather channel says we've got a good foot of snow coming in and with the roads the way they are already, nobody's getting in or out for the next couple of days.”
Kevin grumbled and raised his eyes to the ceiling. Why me?