- Text Size +

My Breathless Mistress VI

Chapter Nineteen

               

                Chelsea looked at herself in the steamy mirror through a small spot where she had wiped the gathered water on the glass away. She really wanted a bath but she wasn’t allowed to have any yet, at least one more week.  Her face was expressionless as her eyes stayed locked on her own but her mind was stuck on one thing; the thought of her baby boy in her arms.

 

“Horrible.” She heard her Fathers voice whisper in her mind.  Her eyes closed and pushed it from her thoughts.  With a deep breath she opened the bathroom door and walked out into her bedroom.  As she walked across the room she looked over to the bed and stopped when she saw her Husband finally sleeping soundly.  She wasn’t lying when she told him she felt better and she wasn’t lying when she told him she wanted to move on.  But everything still hurt, parts of her still felt numb, and then there was her Dad.

 

Walking over to the bed she reached for their giant comforter and pulled it up over him. She remembered back to the moment she had realized she was alone again as she stood in the living room with the cordless in her hand.  AJ was God knows where and not answering his phone.  Nadia had taken off and Chelsea was alone.  That was a feeling she never wanted to have again, leaving that feeling behind was the whole reason she fought so hard for him and now she was the reason it was back.

 

When her Husband mumbled something it snapped her out of the small daydream.  She watched for a moment more to make sure he didn’t wake up and then she left the room.  Making her way down the hall she peaked into Nadia’s room.  A small smile broke from her mouth when she saw her Daughter sleeping against her bed.  Chelsea walked over and shut the TV off and the game system down.  She then turned to Nadia and gently woke her up.

 

“Hun, climb into bed.” Chelsea whispered to her.  Half asleep her Daughter listened and slumped up onto her bed.  When her head hit the pillow she was back out.  She walked out of Nadia’s room and closed the door.  She then made her way downstairs and just as she was heading into the kitchen the door bell rang.

 

“Well…Hi” Kevin said as she opened the door.  His face showed extreme shock.

 

“What’s that look for?” She asked.

 

“Didn’t think it would have been you opening the door.” Kevin said as she stepped back and let him in.  “Where is everyone?” He asked after he looked around the open house.

 

“Sleeping.” She told him.

 

“AJ finally went to sleep?”

 

“You knew he was up?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Yeah I was out early talking to Jerald and figured I’d stop by and he was out back having a smoke.” Kevin said and then his face went expressionless.  “Speaking of smoking.”

 

“Ugh Kevin” Chelsea sighed as she made her way into the kitchen.

 

“Look Chels I know you’re going through a lot and…”

 

“Save it, I haven’t had one since Anne caught me and I don’t plan on having anymore.” She told him.

 

“Yeah, I’m good but I’m not that good darlin’ now I’m gonna sit here all day and make sure…”

 

“Damn it Kevin I don’t need a babysitter!” Chelsea snapped but then she closed her eyes and calmed herself. “Just stop ok?”

 

“So what are you doing up?” He asked.

 

“I was up when Alex came up to bed last night.” She told him.  “I was crying like usual and he tried talking to me.”

 

“I told him to do it when you weren’t upset.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Well when would that have been?” She asked.  “I was crying all the time.”

 

“So what happened?” He asked.

 

“He had just had it with me I guess, we started yelling at each other, he started screaming at me and then the next thing I know, he’s flying out the door.” Chelsea told him.  “Nadia heard it all so when she saw him take off, she took off too.”

 

“Did you find her?” Kevin asked.  Chelsea gave him a ‘duh’ look because obviously she wasn’t freaking out.

 

“She was heading to Kandis’s, Alex picked her up.” Chelsea told him as they both walked into the kitchen.

 

“So is everything cool now?”

 

“I dunno, I guess.” Chelsea sighed as she sat down.  “They’re both here.”

 

“What do you mean by that?” He asked as he sat in the chair across from her.

 

“Nadia hates me.”

 

“Chelsea she doesn’t hate you” Kevin said.

 

“You didn’t see the look she gave me when she got home Kevin.  I tried telling her I was sorry but she wasn’t having it.” Chelsea looked down at the kitchen table.  “She adores Alex though of course it wasn’t Alex’s fault she was taken away by some fat ugly bitch who did God knows what to her.”

 

“Alex told you about the nightmares?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” She replied.

 

“Look she’s going through a lot and yeah you’re right she is closer to Alex than she is with you but you know she loves you.”  Kevin said as he leaned towards her a little.  “You didn’t see her at the Hospital when you first went in and she was there everyday sitting with you.” Chelsea didn’t say anything as she thought about what he said.

 

“But I’m her Mother I’m suppose to protect her.”

 

“And you have” Kevin said supportively.

 

“And where the hell have you been?” Chelsea asked as she stared at him with a stone cold expression.  “I let her get taken away by a complete stranger…”

 

“Chels” Kevin started to say but she ignored him.

 

“And then when we get her back I ripped her away from her Father and dragged her to Kentucky.” Kevin didn’t say anything this time.  “Now I just spent the past four days ignoring her, acting like she didn’t mean anything to me.”

 

“But what about the time you spent together when Alex was on tour, last Christmas your families first Christmas and the gift her and Alex put together for you.” Kevin said as Chelsea’s eyes drifted downward.  “She loves you Chels but it’s just a really bad intense time for the three of you, she’s just hu…”

 

“Hurting, I know” Chelsea sighed. There was a moment of silence and then Chelsea spoke up again.  “You said you talked to Jerald?”

 

“Yeah” Her Brother nodded. “I wanted to know why he was there when Alex’s Dad showed up.”

 

“What did he say?” She asked.

 

“He said he saw him hanging around, he was at the chapel before all of us, and I don’t think his Father knew it was Jerald.” Kevin told her.  “So when he didn’t see him at the chapel he said he hung around to see if he would show up at the burial sight.”

 

“And he did” Chelsea sighed.

 

“Jerald said he told you when you were in the hospital he wanted to start a new.” Kevin said to her and she looked up at him.  “He said he never got a chance to finish the conversation.”

 

“Cause Alex saw him and kicked him out.” Chelsea replied. “But he’s said that all before Kevin.”

 

“When he flew in for the funeral he went right to my house but I wasn’t there.” Kevin told her.

 

Chelsea’s eyebrows frowned in confusion.  “Where were you?”

 

“I was with Alex and Denise” Kevin said and Chelsea didn’t need him to say anymore.  “Mom was there with Kris and she told him how you had been.  Sleeping all the time and just kind of going through the motions. She then told him that if he started anything with Alex he better be ready for a war…” That comment made her smile inside.  It was something the Boys Father always said when they were about to get into trouble.  “…because Alex was under so much stress.”

 

“Well he snapped just not on Jerald.” Chelsea sighed.

 

“When he took off last night did he?”

 

Chelsea looked at him.  “Go to a bar?”

 

Kevin nodded.

 

“No” She replied.  “I’m not much of a source but as far as I know he hasn’t touched a drop.”

 

“He said this morning the reason why he was up all night was because he was hurtin’ pretty bad, so he was up playing Wii and other shit to try and get his mind off it.”  Kevin told her. “I have to say I’m a little surprised he hasn’t pounded some back by now.  Relieved and proud but still shocked.”

 

“How do I make this up to him?” Chelsea asked as she stared at her reflection in the glass table.

 

“By getting better” Kevin said to her and she looked at him.  “That’s all he wants, is for you to get better, to smile and laugh again.” 

 

“I want to go to Kentucky” Chelsea said as got up from the table.

 

“Well why don’t you? The three of you, you can use my place.” Kevin told her.

 

“I dunno, Alex made me an appointment today to talk to that councilor again and who knows how many times he’s going to want to see me.” Chelsea said as she grabbed the juice from the fridge. “Besides Nadia has school and she’s missed a lot as it is.”

 

She sat back down at the table and stared at her Orange Juice.  “Well don’t you look fabulous.” Kevin said and it broke her from her daze, she looked up.  Kevin wasn’t looking at her but behind her. She turned around and saw AJ standing there staring at them, in his PJ’s and his hair looked like…

 

“I told you not to use D’s Flowbee?” Kevin said with a smile.

 

“Fuck off Richardson” AJ mumbled.

 

“What are you doing up?” Chelsea asked. 

 

“Can’t sleep” He replied as he walked over to the coffee maker and began brewing some coffee.

 

“Well I’m gonna go and take Kris, Mom and Mason out for Brunch, what time is your appointment?” He asked as he stood up.

 

“One” She told him.

 

“Okay well we’ll probably stop by later.” Kevin said as he leaned in and hugged her.  “Love ya kiddo”

 

“Love you too” Chelsea replied with small smirk at the kiddo comment.

 

“It’s ok I’ll let myself out” Kevin shouted as he walked up to the door.

 

“Turn the little knobby thing and pull towards you.” AJ shouted back.

 

“Ass!” Kevin shouted.

 

“Douche!” AJ shouted as the door closed.

 

Chelsea looked back to AJ as he sat down at the table.  “Why don’t you go back to bed we still got a couple of hours.” She told him.

 

“I’m good” He replied with a yawn. 

 

“Alex you only had a couple of hours.” She said as she reached for his hand.

 

“I’ve done more on less; I’m fine, just need to get some coffee in me.” He said as he looked back to the coffee maker.  “So what did Kev want?”

 

“Just to stop by and check up” Chelsea told him.

 

The couple sat at the table quietly but Chelsea was lost in a far stare.  Her mind went back to her sitting in the wheel chair with her baby in her arms.  Remembering how it felt holding their son and she remembered looking at her husband as he knelt in front of her.

 

“Oh do you want to hold him?” She asked.

 

“No its ok this is your time.” He replied as he put his hand on her leg.

 

“Are you sure?” She asked.

 

AJ lightly laughed. “Yes sweetheart.”

 

The features on her face fell with sadness.  She looked away as a feeling of guilt came over her.  Her eyes started to water and she reached up and quickly brushed them away before he saw but it was too late.

 

“Sweetheart are you ok?” He asked and her eyes darted to his hand as it slid across the table.

 

She nodded quickly and sniffed.  “I’m fine”

 

“Chels” AJ said as he took her hand.

 

“You never got to hold him” She said.  He didn’t say anything but he squeezed her hand.  After a moment he pulled his hand away and grabbed his mug.  She watched as he brought the cup to his lips and took a gulp of coffee.  “Alex I’m so sorry.” He looked up at her over his mug.  “I’ve spent the past four days wallowing in my own sorrow and…” She paused so she could fight back the tears.

 

“Chels” AJ spoke as he put down his mug. 

 

“You had every right to be mad at me.” She said as he sat back in his chair.

 

“I wasn’t mad at you sweetheart I was just frustrated and tired and got mad.” He told her.  “I could never be mad at you for what happened.  Our Son died, you just weren’t ready to deal and I get that.”

 

She looked down at her empty glass of Orange Juice.  His words were comforting but they made little difference in the way she felt.  Grabbing her glass she stood up and walked over to the sink.  She placed the glass under the tap, turned the knob, let the water fill the cup and then she set it down in the sink.  She was about to turn around when two arms wrapped around the front of her and she was gently pulled against her husband.  Her eyes closed as she rested her head on his shoulder and he gently kissed her cheek.

 

“Do you regret not going to the burial?”

 

“No” Chelsea answered firmly.  “I meant what I said; I didn’t want to see that.”

 

“Yeah but wouldn’t it have helped with closure?” He asked

 

Chelsea shook her head.  “I didn’t need to go to the burial to tell me it’s over or to say goodbye.  I knew that and did that the minute I saw that tiny coffin…” She took a deep breath.  “The only thing I regret over the past four days is not being there for you and Nadia.”  She then turned around in his arms and locked her eyes on his.  “But I promise I’m here now.”  A light smile broke from his lips and he pulled Chelsea into his arms.  She slid her hands up his back and rested her forehead against his neck.

 

“I love you sweetheart” She heard him whisper as his fingers drifted down her hair.

 

“I love you too Alex” She replied squeezing him tighter.

 

The couple was broken apart by the sound of their Daughter yelling upstairs.   They looked at each other for a moment.  “Go go, I’ll be up there.” Chelsea told AJ pushing him towards the door.  He took off upstairs and she followed but not as fast as he was going.

 

“Don’t touch me!” She heard Nadia shout.

 

Her husband replied.  “Nadia hun it’s me.”

 

As she reached the top of the stairs she could only hear her Daughter sobbing.  When she reached the door she saw AJ holding Nadia as they sat on the floor.  She walked towards them and slowly sat down.  When Alex went to protest she waved him off.

 

“What happened?” She asked.

 

He shook his head and she frowned.  “Nadia?” She spoke as she placed her hand on her Daughters back.  Their Daughter said nothing but continued to sob.  “Nadia talk to us.”

 

AJ slowly pulled her away and she looked up at him, hair in her face, eyes wet and red.  “Nadia we’ve never pushed you to talk about what happened while you were with Helen, we let you tell us when you wanted too but you’re hiding something darling and you need to tell us.”

 

“What are these nightmares about hun?” Chelsea asked.

 

Nadia still didn’t say anything.  “Did Helen hurt you?” AJ asked and Chelsea could hear the anger in his voice. 

 

“Not Helen” Nadia whispered and both Chelsea and AJ looked at each other.

 

“Who?” AJ asked when he looked back at her.

 

“One night Helen was working the late shift and I was in my room watch some TV show.”  Nadia told them.  “One night one of her boyfriends showed up drunk looking for her…” She paused and Chelsea had the sudden need to run away.  “I shouldn’t have opened the door; I should have just stayed in my room like I was suppose too.  He was so mad she wasn’t there and he started throwing things and...” She cried. “He started hitting me and then he locked me in the closet.”

 

Chelsea sat there stunned as her Husband pulled their Daughter back into his arms as she started sobbing again.  They didn’t need to hear anymore they could piece together what happened. When she felt her Husbands hand on her shoulder she looked up.

 

“Take her I’m calling Detective Wilkos.” AJ told her and Chelsea nodded.

 

She was a little surprise to see her Daughter held her as tightly as she did AJ.  She watched as he stood up and walked down the hall.  When she heard him walking down the stairs she knew he was going into his office.  A lot of anger flowed through her body but it didn’t affect how she held her Daughter. 

 

“Nadia?” Chelsea spoke calmly.   Her Daughter didn’t say anything but she continued. “What happened after he locked you in the closet?”

 

“I just stayed there” Nadia whimpered. 

 

“For how long?” She asked.

 

“Till Helen got home and found out what happened.”  Her Daughter told her.

 

“Did she call the Police?”

 

“No” Nadia whispered.

 

“So what happened?” She asked and Nadia pulled away a little.

 

With a shrug she answered.  “Cleaned me up with her nursing stuff, kept me home with a fake Doctors note and that was it.”

 

“When did this happen?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Couple of months before those FBI people showed up.” Nadia told her.

 

There was a silence in the room as the Mother and Daughter sat on the floor.  Chelsea thought about getting up but then she realized she needed AJ to help her up.  She looked over at Nadia as she sat in front of her twiddling her fingers. 

 

“I am sorry about the last few days” Chelsea said and Nadia looked up at her.

 

“Its ok” She shrugged.  “Dad’s right, you’re his Mom so…”

 

“But I’m your Mom too” Chelsea said as she took Nadia’s hand.

 

AJ walked into the room and they both looked up at him as he sat beside them.  “I talked to Wilkos he’s sending someone from the LAPD to come down and take a statement.  Then he’s going to talk to the DA here and see if there is any legal action that can be done.”

 

“Nadia is there anything else we should know?” Chelsea asked.

 

Nadia was silent as she looked down at her hand.  “Hun?” AJ said as he placed his hand on her shoulder.  Chelsea frowned when her Daughter started crying and AJ pulled her into his arms.  Her Husband looked at her and she knew the light smile he showed was for comfort but it didn’t help.   Why didn’t she fight harder, why didn’t she scream louder.

 

“Horrible” Her Fathers voice echoed in her mind.