- Text Size +
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                       Prologue

 

 

            Nick sat around the table with all his friends.  He was in Tennessee looking for a new place to live.  Tired of the same old Hollywood bullshit, he needed to get away and leave the temptation behind.  The guys had come out to record songs for their new album Unbreakable, they had a couple of days break so everyone but Nick went back to Cali well except Brian who went back to Atlanta.  He knew he had to head back too because they were recording with JC in Cali, when they started up again but right now he was looking for a new start.

 

“Can we get the bill?” Nick asked as the waitress checked up on them.

 

“No need, it’s on the house tonight.” The waitress said.  “Courtesy of the owner.” The woman smiled.

 

“Oh” Nick said shocked.  “Well can I tell him thank you?”

 

“She” The woman said with a smile.  “Is in the kitchen right now but I will let her know.”

 

“Nice Nick thanks.” His friend said with a smile. 

 

“Hey what can I say the chicks love me?” He smiled and they started to laugh.  They finished their drinks and began to get ready when their waitress came up to them.

 

“She is in her office if you have a moment.” The woman told him.

 

“Cool, I would love to say thank you.” Nick said with a smile.  “Be right back.” He told his friends as he followed the woman to the back of the restaurant.

 

“Ms. Deiu? Mr. Carter is here to see you.” The woman said and Nick’s face fell in puzzlement, where had he heard that name before.  “Go on in.”  When he walked into the office he stopped dead when he saw the woman in front of him.

 

“Eve?” He said a little stunned.

 

“Nick.” She smiled.  “Good to see you.”  She walked over and hugged him, it took him a minute to register everything and then he hugged her back.

 

It had been a long time since he had seen her.  Her name was Eve Deiu and she use to be AJ’s girlfriend, well more than a girlfriend since they were almost engaged.  Almost, because she got an amazing opportunity to learn cooking over in Europe for a year and took it and they both agreed to end the relationship before something bad happened.  They stayed in touch for a while, AJ would go visit her where ever she was, he’d always talk about how she had done this or that, go on and on about the food she would make for him whenever he visited her and then one day it just stopped.  The only thing they could get out of him was she became busy after the course in Europe and he became busy with the Never Gone tour and they lost touch.

 

“How are you?” She asked as she sat on the edge of her desk.  He looked at her in a white cook’s jacket, stains everywhere, her hair pulled back but her bangs hung around her face messy from the hat she had to wear. 

 

“I’m good, doing good and you?” He said still surprised to see her here.

 

“Not bad.” She smiled.  “Hope you like the restaurant.”

 

“It’s great Eve, its awesome Alex would be very proud.” He replied but her face fell as she stood up from the desk.

 

“So what brings you to Tennessee?” She asked as she took off her jacket and hung it up.

 

“Recording with the guys.” Nick told her.

 

“Are they here?” She asked and he saw her confusion.

 

“No, we’re done here for now.  They all went home while we have a few days off.” Nick told her.  “I stayed cause I’m thinking about buying a place out here.”

 

“Really?” She said as she sat down.  “You look good.”

 

“Thanks.” He smiled.  “Figured some shit out, got my act together.”

 

“Been there.” She replied with a light smile and he knew she had, both AJ and her had.  But with her there was more too it than just dealing with fame and a father that abandoned you or parents who used you as a bank account.

 

“So how long have you been here?” He asked as he took a seat and forgot about his friends waiting for him.

 

“Almost a year.” She said.  “I wanted to start my own restaurant and shopped around, lead me here.” She told him.  “I’m up to my eyes in debt but this place isn’t even a year old and I’m doing far better than I thought I would.”

 

“It’s packed and my friends told me it’s the new ‘it’ restaurant.” Nick told with smiling.

 

“Yeah and the compliments are better than my last job.” She joked.  “Laugh Nick.” She told him when Eve saw his reaction.  He lightly smiled and then started laughing. 

 

“Does Alex know you’re here?” He asked when he thought about his band mate not saying anything.  Eve sat there for a second and he watched her take a breath.

 

“Probably not.” She replied lightly shaking her head.  “I haven’t heard from him or seen him in over two years.” Eve told him as she scratched her head with her pointer finger.

 

“Figured, he hasn’t talked about you, just told us you guys fell apart because you were so busy.” Nick sighed.

 

“Is that what he said?” Eve lightly laughed as he looked at her puzzled at her reaction. “It was my fault, I opened my mouth about Kaci, and he felt like I was making him choose and made his choice.” She said raising her eyebrows a little.

 

“No, he never told us that.” Nick said shaking his head.

 

“Well from what I understand he was getting a lot of flack for it.” She said.  “Knowing him he just didn’t want to add that to it.”

 

“I can tell him you’re here.” Nick said and she turned around quickly.

 

“No.” She replied.  “It’s ok.”

 

Nick was about to say something when the door opened.  “Breaks over.” A woman said with a smile as she looked at Nick and then back to Eve.

 

“Alright.” Eve smiled at her and the woman closed the door.  “I gotta go, if you’re hungry from house hunting stop on by, I’ll be here, I’m always here.” She smiled as she opened the door.

 

“It was good seeing you and I will definitely be back.” He nodded; they hugged one more time and then went their separate ways.

 

“Well it’s about damn time.” His friend sighed as the others agreed.

 

“Sorry.” Nick apologized as they walked out of the restaurant.

 

“Got a date?” His buddy asked nudging him.

 

“No, just an old friend.” Nick said as he looked back through the window.