- Text Size +
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                  Chapter Nine

 

 

            AJ sat in the studio as Howie and Brian bickered over a vocal track.  Nick looked bored out of his mind and started drumming on anything he could find.  He was stretched out on the leather couch, zoning in and out of the tiny argument.  His phone in his pocket started to vibrate so he shifted positions and pulled it out.  Not recognizing the number he was going to let the voice mail get it but then he thought against it and answered it.

 

“Hello?” AJ answered as he looked over to Brian and Howie.

 

“Hello is this Alex Mclean?” The woman on the other end asked.

 

“Yes it is” He replied puzzled.

 

“I’m a nurse down at the General Hospital; Ms. Deiu gave you as an emergency contact.” The woman told him and AJ shot up from the couch and it was enough of a distraction to stop both men from fighting and Nick from drumming. 

 

“What’s wrong i-is she ok?” He asked.

 

“She’s fine, there was an accident at the restaurant and she was one of the injured brought in.” The nurse said and AJ’s eyes almost bugged out of his head.

 

“One of the injured what do you mean?” AJ asked as Nick started bugging him about what was going on.

 

“If you come to the hospital we can fill you in more.” She told him.

 

“I’ll be right there.” AJ said quickly and then cut off his cell without saying goodbye.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick asked.

 

“It’s Eve I gotta go.” AJ said as he headed to the door.

 

“Dude, what’s wrong?” Nick asked again as he followed him out.

 

“I dunno, the nurse said something about an accident at the restaurant and she was one of the people brought in.” AJ told him as they both dashed down the hall.

 

“I’ll call a cab.” Nick said as he grabbed his phone.

 

“It’ll be faster to flag one.” AJ said as they both dashed out the door.  He ran to the sidewalk and looked around watching the cars go by looking for the familiar cab colours.  As Nick joined him by the street AJ saw a cab approaching and started waving his arms.  To his relief the cab pulled over and the window rolled down.

 

“Can you take us to Nashville General?” AJ asked and the cabbie nodded. Both he and Nick got into the car and it rolled away from the curb.

 

When they got there AJ paid the man and then ran into the emergency room.  He walked up to the admissions desk.  “I’m looking for Eve Deiu she was brought into emergency.”

 

“One moment please.” The woman behind the desk said.  She typed something into the computer and AJ waited impatiently.

 

“She’s still in the ER, go to that desk there.” The woman said pointing down the hall.

 

“Thanks.” AJ said quickly as him and Nick left. 

 

He repeated the same thing to the woman behind this desk and waited again as she looked up the information.  Then she stood up.  “This way.”  They followed her down the hall and walked behind two huge ER doors.  AJ walked past a couple of rooms that already had people in them and then the nurse stopped.

 

“She’s in there.” She told him and AJ nodded.  For the first time since he found out he hesitated before walking into the room.  When he walked in he saw her sitting on the edge of the bed in a full hospital gown.

 

“Eve?” AJ said his voice a little dry.  She turned around and looked at him, her hair had dried blood in it and a bandage over her head.  “Are you ok?” He asked as he walked up to her.  Before she could answer he wrapped her in his arms and she started to quietly cry.

 

“I’m ok” She told him.

 

“What happened?” He asked as they hesitantly pulled away.

 

“I don’t know really.” Eve said.  “I was working in the kitchen and then there was an explosion…”

 

“An Explosion!” AJ gasped shocked.

 

“I guess I hit my head and it knocked me out.” She told him.  “Fire crew pulled a couple of us out of the kitchen.”

 

“How bad is it?” Nick asked and Eve looked up at him.

 

“No one died thank god but the kitchen is gone, the dinning area is a mess from smoke damage and water and...” She sighed.

 

“Evie.” AJ said sadly.

 

“I’m just glad everyone’s going to be ok.” She said before she started crying again.  He pulled her into his arms and looked at Nick.

 

“I’ll call Brian and Howie.” Nick said nodding to the door.  AJ nodded back at him and his friend left the room.

 

About five minutes later the doctor came in and said as long as she had someone who would be there all night she could go home.  The nurse gave her a scrub suit to wear home since her clothes were basically trash.  When she was ready they met Nick in the waiting room and AJ saw Brian and Howie had both shown up.

 

“I can drive you guys home.” Brian said as AJ looked at him.

 

“Thanks.” AJ replied as he took Eve by the waist and they headed out of the hospital. 

 

Eve unlocked the door to her house and walked in; she hung her keys up and walked down the hall to the back of the house and into her room.  AJ followed her and watched as she crawled onto her bed and laid down.  He stood there for a minute and watched her and then walked over.

 

“Want me to run you a bath?” He asked as he knelt down beside the edge, resting his arms on the sheets.

 

“Please” She replied with a light nod.  He smiled softly at her and got back up. 

 

Sitting on the edge of the bath he ran the water and sat there making sure it was the right temperature.  When there was enough water he shut the taps off and walked back into her room.  She got up and walked over to the room.

 

“Join me?” She asked when she stopped in front of him.

 

“Anything you want.” He told her with a loving smile as he took her hand.

 

They undressed and climbed into the bath.  He helped wash her back and shoulders and gave her a relaxing message.  As he rinsed the bubbles from her shoulder he softly pressed his lips to her soft wet skin.  Her head tilted as she looked at him.  Her hair clipped up, the bandage on her head and it made him frown.  He hated seeing her hurt, whether it be inside our out, and he wished he could just make it go away, bring back her restaurant and get her to smile again.

 

“It’ll be ok Evelyn.” AJ whispered as he held her.  “They’ll find out what happen and you can rebuild.” He told her.

 

“I know” She sighed as her head rested against his.

 

“I’m just glad you’re ok, I was freaking out.” He said as his arms wrapped around her stomach and she leaned back against him.  “How did they know to call me?” He asked after a moment of silence.

 

“I don’t have anyone on my emergency contact list so they came in and asked me and I told them to call you.” She said as he kissed the base of her neck.  When she said that he looked at her, he kind of forgot how alone she was.  A mother in jail, a Father who ran away, a brother who was dead, and then there was him, who disappeared from her life after one phone call.  “Well you put me back on because I’m not going anywhere ever again.” He said as he gently kissed behind her ear.

 

“Promise?” She asked her voice soft and quiet.

 

He pulled her closer and held her tight.  “I promise.” They sat silent, holding each other for a little while longer, and then AJ spoke up.  “How about we get you into some PJ’s and into your bed.” He said as his fingers tangled through hers. 

 

“Sounds good.” She replied with a light smile.  The couple climbed out of the bath and wrapped each other in some towels.  AJ pulled the blankets down as Eve changed into a tank top and cotton PJ bottoms.  She crawled into bed as AJ held the covers up for her, and he let her cuddle against him, lying down on the pillows.  Her forehead rested against her neck, her hand resting against her chest, and her legs wrapped around his.  He stroked her hair with his fingers and held her as she drifted off to sleep.  A small feeling of guilt came over him, how could he forget, how could he forget he was the only one in her life, how she had no one and he just shut her out.  His mind wondered as thoughts of her at Sean’s grave, her up all night with plans for her restaurant, standing outside as the doors opened for the first time and no one was there to celebrate with her.  No one there to say “good job sweetheart, I’m proud of you.”  He frowned as he wrapped his arms around her a little tighter and closed his eyes, drifting off to sleep.