- Text Size +
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter Eleven

 

 

            AJ pulled up to Eve’s house at around eleven at night.  He walked up to the door and knocked once before walking in.  The hallway light was on but nothing else he could see.  Closing the door behind him he locked it and hung her keys up.  He took off his shoes and then walked into the house towards the living room.

 

“Eve?” He called out wondering if she was sleeping.

 

“In here” He heard her say from the living room.  When he walked in he saw her lying on the couch, wrapped in the blanket.  She sat up giving him room to sit down and he took her hand right away.

 

“What did they say?” He asked.

 

“Well they think it was me.” She mumbled.

 

“I’m sure they don’t it’s just protocol, they have to look into it.” AJ said as he placed his free hand over hers.

 

“I’ve racked my brain all day; I just don’t know what happened, who could do this.” Eve sighed as she put her head in her hands.

 

AJ wrapped her in his arms.  “I dunno Evie but they’ll find out.”

 

“It’s all gone.” She told him as she started to cry.  “Everything I worked for is gone.”

 

“It’s not gone Eve, you can rebuild and start over.” He told her and she pulled away with a sigh.

 

“I’m tired of starting over, I started over when I was fifteen, I started over when I met you, when I lost you, and I’m just so tired of it.” She said as she wiped her eyes and tried to calm her tears.  “Is it me, do I attract this kind of stuff?”

 

“No sweetheart it’s not you.” AJ said as he turned her to look at him.  “Maybe they’re tests to see how strong you are, maybe it’s all just one big sucky coincidence, I don’t know but I do know what kind of woman you are.” He told her.  “I’ve seen you come through far worse things than this.” AJ said as his mind flashed back to her the night she was taken by Mats and Thomas.  He cupped his hand on her cheek and she looked at him.  “I know you put your heart and soul into that place and it feels like it’s been ripped out but everything in there can be replaced, you can’t be.”

 

She closed her eyes and a tear fell, he wiped it away with his thumb.  “I’m so glad you’re here, I don’t know how I would be if I had to do this without you.” Eve said when she opened her eyes and looked at him.  AJ lightly smiled and pulled her into a hug.

 

“Maybe it was fate then, fate that Nick had dinner at the restaurant that night, fate brought us back together and we’ll get through this, we’ll get you through this.” He told her as she slipped her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder. 

 

AJ held her as they say quietly in the dark of the living room.  He wasn’t sure how long they had been sitting there when she finally pulled away.  “Are you hungry, I can make you something?” She asked as she wiped her eyes.

 

“A little.” AJ nodded as she stood up, she reached for his hand and he took it and then followed her across the hall into the kitchen.  He sat on the counter watching her as she pulled some things together and began making him something to eat.

 

“So how is the recording coming?” Eve asked as she tossed some cheese into a melting pot.

 

“Good, we’re done, well out here anyways; we still have a couple more producers to work with back in Cali.” He told her.

 

“How is it going without Kevin?” She asked as she grabbed a bowl.

 

“Weird.” AJ replied with a sigh.  “I will admit things are more relaxed but some times that’s not a good thing.”

 

“How have you been?” She asked as started to mix the noodles with the cheese.

 

“Fine.” AJ said looking at her a little confused. “Why?”

 

“Well I just know how close you were with him, probably closer with him than with the others.” She said as she handed him a bowl of homemade Mac and cheese.

 

“I dunno.” AJ shrugged as he picked up his fork.  “I get why he left but at the same time, I’m kind of mad he did.”

 

“Why?” She asked as she sat on the counter next to him.

 

“Well Brian had Baylee and we toured and I know Kris is worried about the fans cause even now Baylee has My Space pages pop up but I dunno, he was the last one I thought would leave.”

 

“You know he left the group not your friendship right?” Eve said as he started to eat.

 

He nodded.  “I know.” He waited a minute and thought about what to say next.  “I dunno, I think about everything he said to me that night in Boston and then I think about him leaving, I know he didn’t give up on me but I still can’t help but feel that way.”

 

“Cause of your Dad?” Eve asked and he looked at her.

 

“Yeah, it’s a bad habit.” AJ sighed.  “And before you ask, no I haven’t heard from my father.” He said quickly before he added another spoonful into his mouth.  “You make great Mac and Cheese.” AJ smiled at her.

 

“Thanks.” She smiled back.  “How’s your Mom?”

 

“Ah” AJ said as he stopped the fork half way to his mouth.  “She’s…good.” He then quickly filled his mouth with the macaroni.

 

“Really” Eve said and AJ didn’t even have to look at her to know what that tone meant.  She’s was on to him. 

 

“Well we really haven’t gotten along all that great since you went to Europe.” AJ said as he put his bowl down beside him.

 

“Really” Eve repeated.

 

“It wasn’t all because of that though, I mean I told you about how I felt when she got married, and then everything went to hell with Kaci, it’s been a lot of things that’s kind of pushed us apart.” AJ told her.  “But like I told her I can’t help that I have resentment towards her because of how she treated you, both her and Brian.”

 

“They were worried about you.” Eve said as she took his hand.

 

“Back then sure, I get that but now.” He sighed.

 

“Now?” Eve said confused.

 

AJ sighed and looked at their hands.  “He’s been asking me all kinds of questions, what’s going on? Why are we so close all of a sudden after not talking for like two years, what it means and it’s really getting on my nerves.”

 

“I see” Eve nodded.  “And does your Mom know we’re talking again?”

 

“Nope, haven’t talked to her in a couple of weeks.” AJ said as he picked up his bowl of food.  “I’ll call her tomorrow cause she’s expecting me to go home after we’re done here.”

 

The two sat quietly as AJ finished his bowl of homemade Mac and Cheese, when he was finished he jumped down from the counter and put his bowl in the sink and then turned to Eve.

 

AJ put his hands on her shoulders. “Don’t worry we go through these things.”

 

“I’m not; trust me I have more important things to worry about than your Mom and Brian and how they feel about us.” Eve said with a light smile.  AJ smiled back and then to Eve’s shocked picked her up from the counter.  “What are you doing?” She asked with a laugh.

 

“Going to bed.” AJ told her as he walked her out of the kitchen.