- Text Size +
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                           Chapter Twenty

 

           

           

“How is Eve?” AJ asked his Mom as they walked to Det. Ozwith’s car.

 

“She’s holding in there.” Denise told him.  “She was out of it a little when Kevin, Nick and I picked her up at the hospital, and she didn’t hear me talking to her at first.  She would have come with us but she’s still pretty medicated after the last phone call, it upset her a little.”

 

“Has she slept at all?” He asked.

 

“Yes darling, she was actually sleeping the last time that man called the house.” Denise told him.  “She seems ok, just very worried about you, like we all were.” She said as he opened the car door for her.  AJ smiled at her and hugged her one more time before she got in.  When he closed the door he opened the back door and sat behind her as Kevin got into the back beside him.  Closing the door AJ buckled himself up nice and tight and then relaxed, waiting to go and see Eve.

 

He looked down at his hand, his knuckles scratched up and he wondered if he did that during the fight, when Eve got away or while he was being tossed around the back of the SUV.  A smile broke from his mouth when he thought about them being free, being safe, back together, and this mess they could put behind them.  The car ride to Eve’s place seemed to take forever but eventually they got there.  He unbuckled his seatbelt and opened the car door as his Mother got out too.  They both walked up to the front door and AJ opened it.  When he entered the hallway a flood of people poured out of the living room to see him.

 

Nick hugged him, Brian and Howie hugged him, and all of them were crying, glad to see their brother and band mate was ok.  He looked around at everyone and then over Brian’s shoulder he saw her, coming from her room.  They both looked at each other for a moment, it was funny, all she wore was his shirt and a pair of PJ bottoms but at that moment she had never looked more beautiful.  AJ walked by his friends towards her, she was already crying when he approached her and wrapped his arms around her.

 

“Did they do that because of me?” She asked through her tears.

 

“They did it because I fought back.” He replied.  “I’m glad you got away.”

 

“I’m glad you did too.” She replied as she squeezed him tighter and he didn’t even mind the extra pain he felt in his chest from it.

 

“Alex may I speak with you for a moment?” Detective Ozwith asked.

 

“Ok” AJ lightly nodded and he went to walk into the living room but Eve stopped him.

 

“Are you hungry? Want me to make you something?” She asked as she held his hand.  He looked at her for a moment and then lightly smiled.

 

“Sure” He replied even though he was no where near hungry, he could tell by the look on her face for what ever reason she didn’t want to be around when he talked to the Detective.  They kissed and then Eve left for the kitchen as AJ went with everyone else into the living room.  He heard the usual speech about how stupid he was to go on his own and not wait for the police.  She told him this all could have been avoided if he would have waited.  Then she began to ask him questions. 

 

AJ told her everything he knew, how the men were working for Mats keeping an eye on Eve, when Mats found out they were hanging out again he sent everything into motion but when the men found out who he was, they decided to go for the money instead something Mats couldn’t guarantee. AJ also explained how they kept Eve so Mats would keep his mouth shut about what was going on. He told her about how he and Eve almost escaped and how he was able to keep them occupied long enough so she could get away.  Then he told them how he paid for it because they had nothing over Mats now and what led up to him escaping.

 

“Is that all?” AJ asked when he saw her packing up.

 

“Yes, that’s everything thank you.” She replied as she stood up.  “I will be in touch tomorrow with everything the DA has to say.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded and the woman plus the two other cops collected their belongings and left Eve’s house.  “You guys might as well take off too, I’m just going to grab something to eat, shower and crash and I’m sure you all could use a good sleep.” AJ said as he looked at his friends.

 

“Glad you’re safe man.” Kevin said as they hugged.

 

“Me too.”AJ replied with a joking smile and Kevin smiled back.  He watched his friends get into their cars and pull away from the house.  When he closed the door he saw his Mom was still in the hallway.

 

“You staying?” He asked.  “There’s an extra bed in Eve’s office.”

 

“No it’s alright sweetheart, I’ll leave so you two can just have a quiet night to yourselves you both need it.” She replied with a light smile.  “I have a room at the hotel with the guys I’ll be ok.”

 

“Are you sure, you can stay for something to eat.” AJ said.

 

“I’m sure, you two relax, and I’ll be back in morning.” She told him as she kissed him on the check and hugged him tightly one last time.  He walked her out to her rental and waited for her to drive to the end of the street, then walked back into the house.  AJ made his way down to the kitchen and entered as Eve set a bowl of chicken stir fry on the table. 

 

“I hope you’re eating too.” AJ said as he walked over to the table.

 

“Going to try.” Eve replied with a light smile as she grabbed another bowl from the cupboard. 

 

AJ sat down and picked up the fork, the bowl steamed, the smell made him realize he was a lot hungrier than he first thought.  He garnished the dish to his liking and then began to eat.  They both sat at the table quietly, slowly picking and eating their food.

 

“Well I’m going to go have a bath; did you want to join me?” He asked as he took her hand.

 

“Actually I’m going to do up these dishes before I get too tired.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, yeah go relax, ok?” She said as she squeezed his hand.

 

“Ok.” He replied and brought her hand to his lips and lightly kissed the back of her fingers. AJ stood up walked to her room and into the bathroom.  Sitting on the edge of the tub he watched the water pour in as his mind wondered to Eve.  It wasn’t like her to turn down a bath but then again they had just gotten away from two kidnappers and all, she was probably worried and wanted him to relax like she said.  He shut the water off, got undressed and slipped into the water.  As his body went under the hot water he couldn’t help but let a small moan of delight escape from his lips.  Closing his eyes he lied back against the tub edge and rested his head gently against the wall.  The pain was lessening, the fear was gone and he finally felt at ease.  So much so he didn’t even catch himself falling asleep.

 

“Alex?” He heard and the voice was calm and soothing.  His eyes fluttered and he brought his hand up to rub his eyes, the water that splashed on his face woke him up.  He looked around and saw Eve kneeling beside the tub; he looked down and realized how cold the water had gotten.  “You fell asleep.” She told him with a light smile and he lightly smiled back.  Eve stood up and grabbed him a towel from the closet as AJ stepped out of the bath.  He took the towel from her and quickly dried his hair, then wrapped the heavy cotton towel around his waist.  Following her out of the bathroom he watched as she walked over to his side of the bed and pulled down the blankets.  She then walked over to her side and collected the papers she had on the bed.

 

“What’s that?” He asked as he crawled into his spot.

 

“Insurance papers.” She replied as she set them in the nightstand.  “Do you need anything?” She asked as he sat back on the pillows.

 

“Just you” AJ replied and she lightly smiled.  Eve crawled over to him and laid beside him, laying her head on his chest, her left arm rested between them, and laid her right arm across his stomach.  Resting the side of his head on top of hers AJ closed his eyes and slid his hand along her arm.  It didn’t take long for the slumber he was in moments ago to come back.