- Text Size +
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Five

 

            “Has Kris called yet?” AJ shouted out to the living room as he walked out of the bathroom in the cabin bedroom.

 

“Nope” Kevin replied as he looked up.

 

“I think I’m ready.” AJ said to himself as he walked in front of the mirror.  He wore a pair of black linen pants, a white Chinese linen shirt, sandals, and a white fedora with black stitching sat on top his head.  “Now, glasses or no glasses?” AJ asked from the room.

 

“No glasses.” Kevin said as his cell rang.

 

“Is that them?” AJ asked as his head popped out from the doorway.

 

“Yes” Kevin replied with a smile towards AJ’s nervousness. “Hello?” He answered into the phone as AJ stared at him.  “Ok” Kevin replied.

 

AJ waited for the phone to close and then spoke. “Are they on their way?”

 

“Yes” Kevin said standing up.

 

“Ok” AJ sighed as he walked back into the bedroom and looked himself over one more time.

 

“I’ll be outside.” Kevin told him before he walked out the back door of AJ and Eve’s cabin.  “Good luck man.”

 

“Thanks” AJ replied as he stepped out of the room and sighed.

 

He sat down on the couch and pulled the black box from the pocket of his pants.  The leather casing made a cracking noise as he opened it and looked inside to see the engagement ring sitting in its little bed.  Taking a deep breath he closed the box and placed it back in his pocket for safe keeping.  About ten minutes after Kevin got his phone call Eve and Kristin walked into the cabin.

 

“Where’s my husband?” Kristin asked as she smiled at how well AJ looked.

 

“Out back.” AJ replied returning the smile as she walked past him and out the back doors.

 

“What are you all dressed up for?” Eve asked as she walked over too him.

 

“Don’t like it?” He asked.

 

“No you look amazing but I didn’t know we were going out again.” She replied as he wrapped her in his arms.

 

“We’re not going out.”

 

“Oh?” She replied confused.

 

Taking her hands AJ walked her around the couch and sat her down.  “Nope.” He replied.  “I have something I want to tell you.”

 

“Ok” Eve said a little unsure.

 

“Back in Nashville, when I was in the house by myself after you escaped, I kept thinking about how much time we’ve wasted, time wasted worrying about what others thought and wasted time being stubborn towards our own feelings. I thought…” AJ paused and took a deep breath.  “I thought I might never see you again and it killed me to think about the years we lost.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the black box, the light gasp that escaped Eve’s lips confirmed she remembered it.

 

“Alex” Eve said looking at him.

 

“I thought about asking you to marry me but just asking you is not enough for me anymore.  To much time has slipped away, I want to be your husband Eve and I want you to be my wife.” He told her and her eyes went a little wider.  “It’s why I brought you out here, it’s why Kevin and Kristin are here, I want us to get married right now, today, if you say yes.” He said as he opened the box.  His eyes didn’t break from her as her eyes stared at the ring sitting inside. 

 

“Married now?” She replied as she looked at him.

 

“Yeah” AJ said as he lightly nodded.  “Kevin and Kristin are out back with the minister and my Mom.”

 

“Your mom’s here.” Eve said and he heard the small amount of panic in her voice.

 

“I had to do a lot of talking to get her to come but I knew you would say no if she wasn’t here.” He told her.  “This is so right Evelyn and I know you can feel it, I know deep down you want it too.” Then he stopped talking and held his breath not on purpose as he waited for her answer.

 

Eve looked at the ring, stared at the ring as he held it out for her, then she took a deep breath and her eyes went back to AJ.  “Yes” She said and even though it was the answer he wanted his insides exploded as a smile broke from his lips.  He couldn’t believe she had actually said yes. 

 

Taking the ring into his finger he slipped it on and looked at it as it sat perfectly on the finger it was meant for all those years ago.  A tear dripped from his eye as he looked at her and saw she was crying too.  He closed his hand around hers and leaned in, kissing her.  When they pulled away he rested his forehead against hers.

 

“I love you” He whispered as he tried to calm his tears.

 

“I love you too.” She replied with a soft smile.  They kissed again and then embraced into a hug.  When he pulled away he wiped her eyes and smiled.

 

“There’s a dress for you on the back of the bedroom door.” He told her and she lightly laughed.

 

“Ok” She replied as her and AJ stood up.

 

“I’ll be here when you’re ready.” He told her before giving her another kiss. 

 

AJ waited for the bedroom door to close before letting his excitement be known as he did a quiet happy dance in the middle of the room.  Then he composed himself and walked over to the patio door.  He looked out down the beach and saw Kevin, Kristin, his Mom and the Minister waiting.  When he saw Kevin waving he smiled and gave them the thumbs up.  He smiled as Kristin clapped and hugged her husband.  His eyes drifted to his Mom but he couldn’t see her expression.  About fifteen minutes later Eve walked out of the bedroom in the dress AJ had entrusted Kristin to buy for her.

 

“I hope I didn’t take to long.” Eve said as she walked over to him.

 

“No” He replied still in a little awe at how she looked, the way the cotton sundress hung down her body, the way her hair was loosely wrapped into a bun and the way her face gleamed with only a little dash of makeup.  “You look beautiful.” He told her as he took her hand.  “I hope you like the dress.”

 

“I do, did you pick it out?” She asked.

 

“No” AJ lightly laughed.  “I got Kris to get it.” Eve smiled as they leaned in and kissed.  “Are you sure you want to do this?” He asked as they pulled away.

 

“Yes” She replied with a soft smile.  “Now that I’ve had a little time to think about it, I do want too.”  AJ smiled back taking her hand and the couple walked out of the cabin together.  They were greeted by Kevin, Kristin and Denise.

 

“We’re ready.” AJ said as he walked up to them.

 

AJ and Eve walked side by side up to the Minister and when the Minister told them too, they took each others hands and faced each other.  He spoke about love and how precious it was, he spoke about when two people find something as fragile as love they both have a duty to protect it and let nothing break it.  Eve lightly smiled at AJ as the Minister asked him if he had anything he would like to say to Eve.

 

            “I ask you to share this world with me, respecting each other; we commit to live our lives together for all the days to come.  I ask you to share this world with me.  Be my partner, and I will be yours so together we can protect what we have and never let it slip away from us again.” He said as a tear fell from her eye. The Minister than turned to Eve and asked if she had anything to say to AJ.

 

Taking a deep breath Eve spoke. “You showed me I could have a life I never dreamed possible, because of you Alex; I know what love feels like. You showed me I am worth loving even if I screw up, even though my past isn’t perfect, and I will spend the rest of my life showing you how grateful I am to have your love.”

 

Now it was AJ’s turn to tear up and he would have been fine if he hadn’t looked over at his Mom who was now crying quietly.  The Minister asked for the rings and AJ couldn’t help but smile at the confused look on Eve’s face.  He turned to Kevin and his friend handed him the two white gold wedding rings. AJ then gave them to the Minister.  First he gave AJ his ring to put on Eve and they revised the words that were said at almost every wedding ceremony.

 

“With this ring I thee wed and promise to protect, honor and love you for as long as we both shall live.” AJ repeated after the Minister.  The man than handed Eve the ring she was to give to AJ and had her repeat the same words.

 

AJ smiled brightly at her as the ring rested at the bottom of his finger and she returned the smile.  The Minister than read a short poem before he said the words AJ had been hoping to hear since he put the plan into motion.

 

“I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss your bride.” The man spoke with a proud smile.  As their lips touched AJ slipped his arm around her waist and embraced his wife for the first time.