- Text Size +
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                          Chapter-Forty Two

 

            AJ sat in the chair beside the therapy bed Eve sat on.  The therapist was teaching her how to recognize certain shapes the mouth would take when people talked and how to determine the similar ones apart from each other.  It had been a couple of weeks since the accident and the Doctors were finally talking about her going home.  He hadn’t missed one therapy session with her but the tour was creeping closer and closer and he wondered how he could be there for her, how he could be in two places at once.  AJ’s thoughts were interrupted when the therapist spoke up in a louder tone.

 

            “Your hearing aid came in today.” She signed to Eve slowly.

 

During the second session they had fitted her ear for a special hearing aid.  It sat behind the ear and it had a small thin wire coming from the back that attached onto her head just behind her ear with a small patch.  The patch had little nodes that sent small signals to the tips of the Auditory Nerve stimulating them when the hearing aid on her ear picked up the sounds.  Their hopes were that the device would ‘wake up’ the nerves and they would start producing sound and signals to the brain again.

 

AJ looked over at Eve as she lightly smiled at the woman.  She was still pretty quiet; she still won’t talk even though the doctors told her she should, so she could get a feel on how to control her pitch and tone as she talked.  God knows he tried to get her to open up many times but she’d rather write than speak.  Her moods on the other hand have been up and down like a rollercoaster, one minute she’s smiling and working with him on learning how to sign, then the next she’s angry and bitter, or then she’d start crying and acting depressive and it wasn’t always in that order, she was all over the place but the Doctors said that would be normal as she learns to adjust to this new life.

 

The police confirmed she was being chased but they have no leads as to who it was.  That was another thing he worried about; when he went on tour she would be home alone.  He thought about taking her but it would be too hard.  She was still pretty sore in the back and rib area, not to mention the lack of sleep and late hours wouldn’t be good for her in such a short time after the accident.

 

“I want you to keep a journal and when, if you hear anything write it down.  What it sounded like and the date and time, it’ll help us understand how often or how loud the sound comes to you.” The woman signed after she put the hearing aid on for Eve.  “It may take a couple of days or weeks or months or it may not happen at all.”

 

AJ was impressed with how quickly Eve had picked up sign language.  He was having a hard time keeping up and he found himself getting frustrated with it, getting angry at the fact this was the only way he could actually talk to her and he wasn’t getting it; at least not fast enough for him.            But then again he guessed she really didn’t have a choice but to learn.

 

“You can take her back up to her room now.” The woman said as she looked at AJ.

 

“ok” AJ replied as he wiped his hands on his jeans and stood up.  He helped her down off the bed and took her arm in his and began to slowly walk her over of the therapy room.  It was a slow quiet walk up to her room and when they arrived he helped her into the bed.  He looked at her as she fixed the blankets around herself.  “How are you doing?” He asked as he signed hoping he got it right.

 

“I’m fine.” She replied with a light smile but he still wondered if she was telling the truth.  “What does it look like?” she asked as AJ followed her hands.

 

He started to sign “It looks bad.” She frowned and he immediately knew he signed wrong. He resigned the word and said. “Fine?”

 

She lightly smiled and shook her head.  She stared at him for a moment and the look confused him a little.  Then she signed the last word he signed and to his amazement spoke.  “Bad” and then signed another word “Fine.”

 

At first he was taken back by her voice.   It was a little loud and slower than she usually spoke.  “Oh” He replied when he realized his mistake.  “It looks fine.” He resigned.  “Sorry” He signed.

 

“It’s ok” She replied with a light smile.

 

“You talked.” He said and she frowned again.

 

“Not going to happen all the time.” She replied.  AJ took her hands and held them in his. 

 

“I love you.” He told her.

 

Eve pulled her hands away and signed.  “I love you too.” He sighed a little inside hoping she would say the words, at least this once but she didn’t and he knew he would probably never hear her say them again.  Just then the door opened and Eve’s Doctor walked in.  The couple smiled at the man and said hello. 

 

“How are things?” The man signed to Eve.

 

“Ok” She replied.  “I really want to go home.”

 

“I know.” He signed back.  “And that’s why I’m here.” He said as he sat down beside her bed.  “We got your tests back and everything looks good.  Swelling is gone and there is definitely still some Auditory Nerves attached, and I see you have the hearing aid.”

 

AJ sat and listened as the doctor explained things to her, about how her therapy would work, how she would have to come in three times a week for the next three months and then once every week after that.  He also told her that if or when the first time she hears something to call his office right away, whether it happens again or not.

 

“Well every thing seems to be in order.” The Doctor said as he looked over the chart in his hands.

 

“So when will she be able to go home?” AJ asked.

 

“Today if she wants too.” The doctor replied and AJ smiled as he looked at Eve who looked at him confused and AJ knew she was wondering if she read his lips right.  “I’ll get her discharge papers, it will take a half hour or so and then she can go.”  The Doctor said as he stood up and closed his metal clipboard.  “You’ve done an amazing job Eve, you should be proud of yourself.” He signed, smiled and then left the room.

 

AJ looked back at Eve.  “He said I could go home?”

 

“Yep” AJ nodded.  “He just has to do the paper work.” He signed to her and as he did her smile broke across her face.  She threw her arms out and wrapped him in a hug squeezing him tightly.  AJ smiled and then lightly laughed at her excitement, not that he could blame her for being so excited.

 

“Should we get my things?” She asked.

 

“Yeah sure.” He replied with a nod.  “I’m gonna call Mom and let her know.”

 

“Ok.” Eve signed and then pulled the blankets off her.  AJ stood at the door before he left and watched her as she collected her belongings around the room.  He smiled; she had life in her again, if only for a little while it was nice too see.  AJ walked down the hall and into the waiting room, there were a few people in there and a couple of them recognized him.  Opening his phone he hit the speed dial button for his Mom’s cell and called her.

 

It rang about three times before she answered.  “Hello?”

 

“Hey Ma it’s me.” AJ replied.  “Got some good news.”

 

“Really?” She said with some excitement in her voice.

 

“Yeah, Doc said she could go home, he’s getting the paper work ready we’ll be home in about an hour.” He told her.  “I want to take her out for something to eat, maybe a walk around the beach, just let her get out for a bit.”

 

“Sounds good darling, that’ll be good for her.” She told him.  “Do you want me to call the guys?”

 

“Please” He replied.

 

“No problem.” Denise said.  AJ talked to her for a little longer told her what exactly the Doctor said and how Eve had gotten her hearing aid today.  About five minutes later AJ hung up the phone and headed to Eve’s room.

 

When he walked in he saw her sitting on the bed, with her bags all ready to go.  “You’re fast.” He signed and she smiled.

 

“How is your Mom?” She asked.

 

“Good.” He replied.  “She’ll see us when we get back to the house.”

 

“I’m glad she stayed, I’m glad she was here for you.” Eve signed.

 

“Me too but I’m sure now that you’re home she’ll head back to Florida.” AJ told her.

 

“Should I ask the Doctor about touring?” She asked.

 

“Eve, we talked about this, you’re still recovering and the schedule would be too much right now.” He signed but he felt bad, he wanted her to go, he didn’t want to let her out of his sight and he pretty much hadn’t since the accident.  “I can get my Mom to stay or I can get Kevin or Kris to check up on you.”

 

“I don’t need a babysitter.” She signed quickly and with some anger.

 

“Evie.” AJ said as he put his hand on the side of her arm.

 

“You don’t want me to go do you?” Eve signed her anger still apparent.

 

“What? No?” AJ signed back quickly.

 

“Yes, because I’ll be a hindrance.”

 

“No.” AJ replied with his hands sternly.  “You will never be that to me, never Evie.” AJ signed as best he could and she replied with a roll of her eyes.

 

Here we go again, her mood starting to fall fast.  He sighed when she looked away and out the window.  Looking at her his heart broke, he wanted to tell her more so much more but he couldn’t, limited to what he had learn, and even that wasn’t so great she was just able to piece it together.  He just had to remind himself of what the Doctor told him, that this was temporary and with the help of her psychiatrist she would come around and the mood swings would subside.  How he hated this feeling, the feeling of helplessness, he hated the places it took his mind, places he hadn’t been too in a long time.  AJ closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  There had to be something he could do.