- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Time for Nick and Rosie's reunion!

 

 

There’s not a cloud in the sky
It’s as  blue as your goodbye
And I thought that it would rain
On the day you went away.
The Day You Went Away; Wendy Matthews

Nick J’s POV

 

I woke in the middle of the night to find Delta wasn’t next to me. I rolled over and checked my blood sugar to find it was a little low for my liking so I ventured down to the kitchen and grabbed a few jellybeans out of the jar and then heated up some left over pasta so I could have a few long acting carbs. I heard footsteps and I felt Delta’s arms wrap around my waist.

“Hey darling, are you feeling okay?”
“Just a little low. I had some jellybeans and am heating up some pasta. What are you doing up?”
“I can’t sleep. Hey I was thinking about the whole Rosie thing. If you don’t want to go to dinner tomorrow, I’ll go on my own.”
“No, I’ll come. I want to see Nick anyway. Like you said, it’d be good to see Rosie.”
“Yeah. Anyway, I’m going to see if I can doze off. I love you sweetheart.”
“I love you too Delta.” I said giving her a soft peck.


Once my pasta was ready and I put in the appropriate dosage in my pump I sat on the couch and turned on the TV. I flicked it onto the Disney Channel; it’s one of my guilty pleasures when I can’t sleep. Hannah Montana was on and as much as I detest that show I watched it until I finished my bowl of pasta then checked to see what music videos were playing.

 

I think I must have dozed off on the couch because I woke up and the sun was up and I had a sore neck. I smelt toast from the kitchen and got up and found Delta making herself breakfast.
“Have a nice snooze on the couch Nicky?”
“Why didn’t you come and get me?”
“I crashed as soon as I got to bed. Sorry love.”
“What do you want to do today?”
“How about let’s stay in bed and sleep and maybe watch a few movies?”
“I’m happy with that.”
“Do you want a piece of toast?”
“That’d be fantastic, thanks.” I smiled.

As the day passed, I became more and more anxious for seeing Rosie. I had this sinking feeling in my stomach that something bad was going to happen. I hadn’t seen her in three years, for all I know there could be something she has hidden from me.

 

Rosie’s POV

By three o’clock the next afternoon I was discharged with new insulin regime and prescription and feeling a lot better. Now I just had to face Nick, and I was absolutely dreading it.

When I got home, I just chilled out. I sat in the lounge room with cable on and watched old episodes of Friends for a couple hours. Nick sat beside me and I snuggled up beside him, dozing off a few times.

 

At six o’clock he told me to go and have a shower and get ready to go out. I reluctantly took my insulin pen and test kit and went upstairs to pick out a dress and have a shower. Once I was ready, I took the appropriate units of insulin for dinner; I got my favourite black heels on and went downstairs.


“Have you got your test kit and pen in there?” Nick asked pointing to my handbag.
“Ugh.” I sighed as I went back upstairs and got my pen and test kit from my bed and put it in my handbag along with my phone and house key. I looked in my mirror one last time. The floral patterned dress I had on hugged my seemingly curvy figure and the black heels made a statement. I don’t know why I wanted to look all fancy, I didn’t even want to impress Jonas.

 

Nick and I were the first to arrive at Koi, he ordered himself a beer and I got a diet coke. I fidgeted with my fingers anxiously as we waited for Nick and Delta to arrive.

“Rosie, calm down. The guy won’t bite your head off.”
“It’s going to be a big shock when I tell him about Samuel.”
“But a shock he can deal with. Leslie will look after him for as long as you need remember?”
“I know, I know.”

Five minutes later he walked into the restaurant. It was like time stopped as soon as he walked into the restaurant. He looked older, more mature and happy. When we got together he was going through a tough time. I could tell Delta made him happy in that moment. Delta walked in, looking as gorgeous and naturally beautiful as ever.

 

I got up and went over to Delta and gave her a hug.
“Hey, I’ve missed you!” I said.
“I missed you too little one. I heard you haven’t been well.”
“I have diabetes now, it’s just a small set back though. Hi Nick.” I said nodding to him.
“Hi Rosie.”
“Come on let’s sit down.” Delta smiled.

 

The two Nicks talked together for a while as we waited for our sushi, Delta and I talked about what else had been happening since I last saw her a year ago.
“So did you make any state teams back in Australia?” she asked.
“Yeah I made the Under 19 New South Wales Team for Basketball and got offered an AIS scholarship for Athletics. It’s just too hard to take it at the moment. I was only diagnosed two months ago so I need to just work my way back into it.”
“Mmm, good girl though for realising that. So tell me, any man on the scene you haven’t told me about?”
“No, no man Delta,” I laughed. “I did get asked on a date by the Sam guy I worked with at the pool a while a go. We still talk.”
“Why didn’t you say yes? He was a cutie.”
“He’s Sam. He’s a complete player, I knew that from the start. Plus why would he want to go out with me? I mean I’m not that attractive, I’m athletic and pretty butch.”
“No you aren’t sweetie. I used to play Basketball and be really athletic when I was your age. You look gorgeous in that dress. I can see why Sam would want to date you. You need to be more self confident. We’ve talked about this before.”
“I know but you know me. I’m stubborn.”
“Oh I know you are!”


Our sushi came out a minute later and everyone went quiet. Once we were all finished, my brother piped up.
“Why don’t you two come around to our place for dessert and just hang out?”
“Sure, we’d love to bro.” Nick replied.

“Delta do you want to come with me? I think Nick and Rosie need to talk.”
“Yeah that sounds great thanks.” Delta said to my brother.

 

As Nick and I walked to his mustang at the back of the car park we looked awkwardly at each other, not knowing who should start the conversation.
“So your brother told me you have something to tell me.” Nick said as he got into the car.
“Yeah I do. Just don’t start the car yet okay?”
“Alright…”
“I had a baby.”
“That’s great Rosie.”
“No… I mean I had a baby.” Emphasizing the baby part.
“How old?”
“Three.”
“Us?”
“Yeah.”
“WHAT? How could you have kept this from me?”
“Well you made it pretty clear the next day that you wanted nothing to do with me anymore. You were the one who threw three years of friendship out the window with a text message.”
“You could have told me that though. Is that why you moved all the way to Australia?”
“Part of the reason. The other was for my sport but yes that’s sort of why.”
“Then where is our kid now?”
“My sister Leslie takes care of him now. I can have him back whenever I feel ready but right now I need to be a teenager and go to university, go to the Australian Institute of Sport maybe have a shot at the Olympics. I need to sort out my diabetes first before I deal with a child. I still feel like one myself.”
“What’s his name?”
“Samuel Lucas Nicholas Carter.”
“That’s a nice name. Is Nicholas spelt my way or your brothers?”
“Yours you idiot.”
“Look Rosie, I’m mad that you didn’t tell me that I had a son. But I’m really proud of how you dealt with it. You accepted that it happened and you took the help when it was offered to you. If I was in your positon who knows what I would have done.”
“I guess we’ll never know because you were never there. Don’t worry no one will find out about your love child. You don’t even have to tell Delta if you don’t want to.”
“Delta doesn’t know?” Nick asked.
“No not at all. No one in Australia does. It was my secret.”
“I thought you tell Delta everything.”
“I never told her what you and I did. I just said I liked you.”
“Well I’m going to tell Delta. If you don’t mind though. If you don’t want me to tell then I’m absolutely fine with that.”
“No, tell her. I can organize for Leslie to bring Samuel up for a day or two so you can meet him. He reminds me of you.”
“How?”
“He looks just like you, curls and all, he’s cheeky and he has your goofy smile.”
“Do you know if he’s diabetic?”
“No, but I have a feeling that because we both have it… he’ll get it.”
“MM, that is so true. How are you dealing with it?”
“I spent last night in hospital because I had ketones and levels over 25.”
“Shit Rosie. How did you manage that?”
“I have no idea. So I’m on a different insulin regime and different insulin so we’ll see how it goes I guess.”
“That’s good. Should we get you home?”
“Probably.” I sighed.
“Rosie, just so you know…” he started.

 

Chapter End Notes:

please review. by the way this is Samuel (the baby) and Sam (the boy that is mentioned in Rosie and Delta's conversation

Sam- the guy that has asked Rosie out- he will become more important to the story as time goes on.

Sam (the boy that is mentioned)

Samuel- the baby (well he's 3)

Samuel