- Text Size +
Chapter 11

“Sweethearts.” I turned around, seeing them there, along with Baylee, and LeighAnne, a smile in her eyes. “Hi. What are you doing here? Thought you were playing with Baylee.” Thomas looked me from Nick and back to me. Tamara, on the other hand, had tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Please, is she crying again?” Tamara whimpered and turned to hug LeighAnne’s legs. I quickly snapped around and growled at Terri. But before I could lunge at her, Nick’s arms were around my waist, holding me study.

“You just shut up! You have no right whatsoever to talk about my kids!” That evil smile she sent my way had a chill running down my spine.

“I have every right! Nick and I were discussing marriage! I’m gonna be their step mother!” My eyes roamed over her, seeing no diamond and I felt my heart ease some what. Yet, I wanted to wipe that smirk off.

“Did he get the ring? No! Then he doesn’t mean it!” I saw her eyes open wide, felt Nick let go, and I shoved him away. “You, little miss thing, have no control over my kids. When they are with they’re father that is who they will listen to!” I left, grabbing both kids’ hands as I walked out, LeighAnne close on my heels.

“Woah, Resa, wait.” I stopped at the elevator, waiting on her. “You just made a huge enemy.”

“Does it look like I care? How dare she? What right does she have?”

“Theresa,” she started, and than sighed. “Have they seen you with no one?”

“No LeighAnne, they haven’t actually. And that’s because there hasn’t been anyone. My heart can’t be given out as easily as his, it seems.”

“Mommy?” I glanced down at Tamara.

“What, baby?”

“Since you’re not fighting anymore, can we go and play with Baylee, if Uncle Bri and Auntie don’t mind.” I glanced up at LeighAnne and she smiled at me.

“Go have a drink, I think you need it.”

“Thanks girlie. You two be good for them.” They nodded their heads and took off back down the hallway.



I twirled that amber liquid around in the glass, my eyes not really seeing it.

“I’ll have what she’s having.” I turned and raised my eyebrow at Howie, who only smiled.

“Don’t you have to work tonight?”

“Aren’t you working now?”

“Good counter. What brings you down here D?”

“Thought a drink sounded good.”

“I doubt that. Tell me the truth.” He sighed and took a sip of what the bartender just put in front of him. He made a face and coughed a couple of times. “Southern Comfort has become my favorite.” He took another sip and shook his head.

“That’s just wrong. Here I was thinking you were having rum and coke.”

“Nope.” I took a sip and glanced at him.

“I saw you sitting here, thought you might want to talk.”

“I love you D, you’re a very dear friend…”

“But I’m close to Nick.”

“No, you’re close to Leigh and she’s close to Terri.”

“You found out.”

“I was bound to. And I don’t mind. The girls can befriend whomever they want. But, it’s like my friendship can’t compete with Terri’s. So, she’d rather be friends with her than me.”

“Leigh is not like that, Theresa. But, I know that’s not the only thing that’s bothering you.” I took another sip and glanced over at Howie.

“I don’t like Terri.” Howie’s lips twitched at that.

“Tell me something I don’t know.”

“But not for the reasons that you think. It has nothing to do with the fact that she stole my husband, actually. I don’t like her cause I think she’s two faced.”

“And that’s doesn’t stem from bitterness in the least?”

“No. I think Nick actually saw a part of the real her the other day. She’s all sweat and friendly, almost like she doesn’t have a bad bone. Yet, here I come and she’s all bitchy to me, and just starting to get like that in front of Nick.”

“That’s something we’ve all told Nick.”

“Don’t personally care for her either?”

“Does anyone?” Both Howie and I glanced over my shoulder, seeing AJ there. “When you got depressed, and Terri came into the picture, all of us knew how horrible that was going to go down. I think from the start none of us liked her.”

“Because she was unfamiliar?”

“No, because she wouldn’t make him happy like you could.” I sighed, staring into the liquid once more. “By the way D, your wife is looking for you.”

“Oh shit.” He quickly finished his drink, choking on it one more time before waving and leaving. I signaled to the bartender that I would take care of it and he nodded his head.

“I’m your friend, you know this, Nick knows this, Terri knows this. I’ve always defended you, even when Nick wouldn’t.”

“I know, Alex. And I thank you for that. You truly are one of my best friends.”

“You know, I have to ask, what happened that caused you to get depressed?”

“Nick never told you?” AJ shook his head, his eyes holding mine, and I realized, for once, he had no shades.

“You need to wear glasses less.” He smiled, and kissed my cheek.

“Darlin’, you’re too sweet. Answer the question.”

“I lost my grandmother, my aunt, and my baby, all within a three week span.”