- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I can't thank you all for re-reading this story all over again. I'm quite surprised, but so very honored as well!
Chapter 13

“That is their uncle, Terri. They have every right to see him.” She clutched onto Nick’s arm and batted her eye lashes.

“But, this was an adult conversation.”

“No, it wasn’t. Anyway, little man, back to this woman.” Aaron’s eyes lite up again.

“She was…I just saw her from the back, but she looked around my age, maybe a tad older, black hair, nice behind!” I walked up to group and Thomas smiled.

“Mommy!” Aaron turned, gasped and blushed.

“My, my, my, Aaron, you have grown up on me.”

“That was you?”

“If you’re referring to the bus, than yes. And I’m way older than you.”

“No, you’re not! But wow! You look good! Or, it’s just been forever.”

“Just forever,” Terri said, snorting along with the comment.

“It’s great to see you, little man.” Aaron put down the kids and turned to give me a hug.

“Same here.”

“Are you going to be joining them?”

“At least for a few days. Mom was asking me about you. Said…”

“Aaron, is your stuff on the bus?” Nick asked, cutting Aaron off.

“Not yet. Anyway, mom was saying to me that…”

“Aaron, let’s go. You can chit chat later.” I frowned as Nick took off with his brother. It was a tad strange, to hear that Nick’s mom was asking Aaron about me, instead of Nick.

“Listen, Theresa, I’ve had all I’m about to take of your good for nothing kids! They need to cool it, or there will be hell to pay!” I glanced at the finger she was close to poking in my face than to her.

“First of all, remove your finger. Second of all, they are not your kids. And if you haven’t noticed, they are exactly like Nick. Not to mention, Nick adores them. But, let me warn you now, and for the final time, you threaten my kids or lay a hand on them; it will be me you are answering too! And I’m not a push over!” I turned on my heel, beyond ticked at that moment, with her, and with Nick! And boy, was he gonna hear it again for the second time that day!




Nick was smart, for once. He went through the sound check, not even glancing at me. And than he went wherever with Terri. To say he was avoiding me would be a smart take. I folded my arms across my chest and leaned against the wall, watching the guys as they performed.

“Someone a little upset?” I smiled and shook my head. He slipped his arm around my waist, acting so much like his brother.

“I’m actually not.”

“Right, you always glare at my brother.”

“I’m not glaring.”

“Resa, I know you!” He laughed and I glanced at him. “I heard about your little tangle with Terri. She told Nick that you were a bitch and your threatened her.”

“I did. But she said stuff about my kids. And you know that’s a big hell no in my book.”

“Yes, I recall.”

“So, look at you, all grown up. Am I gonna have to fight the women off of you too?”

“No, I’m good. No girlfriends. You know, he still cares for you.”

“Aaron, let’s not go there. He has me all pissed off at him.”

“Amazing. You two are divorced and yet some things never change.” I shrugged, not really wanting to comment at all on that. “Would you mind if I went and took the twins off LeighAnne’s hands?”

“No, knock yourself out. Just be careful. I know all to well how you are, Carter.” He chuckled and tossed a wave as he rounded the corner. 10 minutes later, I heard someone else walk up to me.

“You know, I remember listening to Aaron tell Nick that he had a huge crush on you. I think he was a little hurt when Nick married you.”

“You have gotta love the Cater boys. But, you know, if Aaron was a tad older, he could have given Nick a run for his money. Admit it, LeighAnne, they are cute.” She giggled, but nodded her head in agreement. “See, you know it.” I smiled and pulled out my phone as I heard it start to beep.

“Boss lady.”

“10-4 Steve, what’s up?”

“We’re having a situation in the north corridor. Can you lend a hand?”

“Roger that. I’ll be right there.” I rolled my eyes, smiled at LeighAnne and made my way to the corridor.



I walked along the path and stopped, hearing their screams and the splashing. I took a deep breath, stealing myself for another conformation, but after a quick scan, I released it. I walked along the side and over to the shallow end of the pool, watching the two brothers play with one twin each. I sat down on the chair and laughed as the twins did nothing but splash around.

“You should join us.”

“In a suit? Have you lost your mind?”

“Hey, there’s a few curves I wouldn’t mind seeing.” Nick quickly shot a glare at his younger brother. “Maybe AJ can get you out here!” Again, that yearned Aaron another glare.

“Mommy, join us!”

“Now, sweetie, you’re having fun. Besides, daddy and I have to talk.” Tamara rolled her eyes. “I beg your pardon little girl! But, it is way past your bed time. Aaron, will you take ‘em up please?” I smiled as I left the key card on the table and motioned for Nick to get out and follow me.

“Oh, she’s gonna yell again.” That caused me to stop and turn to my kids.

“Why would you say that, Thomas?”

“Because Terri and you fought. Than daddy and Terri. Why not you? And Terri yelled at us.”

“Did she?” I crossed my arms and turned to Nick.

“It’s not what you think.”

“Let me tell you again, Carter, that woman has no damn right! None! I won’t stand for it. She is not their mother. It’s bad enough you screw her in front of them!”

“Can’t be as bad as your screwing my best friend. Tell me, is AJ that good?” My hand fisted up and I let it fly, punching him!