- Text Size +
Chapter 14

“I’ve seen you a lot of ways! But jealous, that’s a first! Even worse because we’re divorced!” I took a deep breath and heard my kids start to giggle.

“Mommy beat daddy up!”

“Thomas, out. Tamara, you too. Bed time.”

“Theresa…”

“Save it. Aaron, will you help your brother to his room. And put some ice on his eye. It’ll keep the swelling down, along with that shiner. I don’t need people thinking I abuse him.”

“You didn’t, sis. You just knocked some sense into him.”

“Thanks. Glad to know my brother was my back.”

“You guys are not family!”

“More than Terri will ever be, Nick. Now, let’s go.”

“Night guys.” I grabbed my kids’ hand after they gave both their uncle and their dad a kiss goodnight.



“You know, it’s not my business, but its curious how Nick slept in Aaron’s room last night.” I shrugged. “Wanna explain why he has a black eye?”

“Not really, Leigh.”

“You’re kids can pass for being spoiled.” I turned and glared at her. “Don’t go getting pissed at me.”

“Are you saying this because you’re my friend, Leigh? Or hers?”

“They spilled something on her!”

“They are kids, Leigh. My kids! When James grows up, let’s see if you like other people yelling at him.”

“Aye, listen to yourself!”

“I am! And I’m listening to you! I’m hearing her talking, through you! And I can see where you stand!”

“I’m not picking between you two!”

“You already have! Forget it, I don’t care.”

“Theresa…”

“No, I don’t care! Wait, if you want to know, I punched him. Because he was being a prick!” I turned and marched away, more annoyed and hurt than I thought possible.

“Hey, wait.” I smiled at Kristen who returned the gesture. “Mason was asking if he could play with the twins.”

“Yeah, I’ll go with you.”

“Nah. I think you have a couple things to discuss with Nick. Sides, Brian, Aaron, Baylee, and LeighAnne we’re all going. Do you mind?”

“No, thank you.” I gave her a hug and watched as she walked back down the hallway.



I walked along the backstage, finally spotting Nick. Well, I guess now was a good time to talk, right? At least no one was around, or should be for that matter.

“Hey Nick.” He glanced up and smiled. “You’ve seen Brian or LeighAnne?”

“I think they went to hit up Chuck E Cheese. Something about pizza and letting the kids run wild.”

“And you didn’t go? There are games along with pizza.”

“Ha ha, aren’t you funny? What you are you doing here?”

“They asked to take the twins, said I didn’t have to go. They took their bodyguards, probably because the kids have more fun playing with them. Besides, my job is to protect you and well, here you are!”

“Last time I checked, there’s D, and AJ still.” I shrugged, and started to turn to walk away.

“I suppose you have a point. I’ll send Dave over and I’ll go chill with AJ, in his room, alone.” Nick quickly got up from his spot, his hand lightly grabbing my arm.

“We can hang.” I smiled at him. Why did he hate the fact of me chilling with AJ? He really should know that I never once thought of Alex like that! Okay, lie, but I wouldn’t do anything! “It’s good, ‘cause I’ve been wanting to talk to you.”

“Why do I get the feeling I’m not about to like this at all?” I sighed. “Lay it on me, what’s on that pea sized mind of yours?” He glanced down at the floor, tugging on his lower lip, and I actually knew it was serious. “Nick, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong. It’s just...I’ve been thinking.”

“That’s why there’s so much smoke lately.” His eyes pierced mine and I lowered my head to stop the smile. “I’m sorry. It’s my job to pick on you. Sorry, thinking about what?”

“These last few, heated discussions…”

“Fights. Call it what it is. Fights.”

“Okay, fights, made me realize something. I really don’t want us to be one of those couples that hates each other because we’re divorced. I don’t hate you.” His eyes held mine once more. “You know that right?”

“To be honest, I agree. I hate fighting with you. Especially in front of the kids. And I know you don’t hate me Nick, and I don’t hate you.” I sat down on the table, crossing my arms over my chest. “But, I can understand where you’re coming from.”

“We both know the twins mean the world to each of us, and I just want to be able to set a good example for them, even if we are divorced. And even if you hate, well, her.”

“Don’t except me to pretend to like her, even for the sake of my kids. And I know you don’t think she’s going to like to me. But, I do have to say the little fights need to stop in front of the twins. Well, should be stopping period.” I swung my legs, glancing down at the floor before I looked over at him. “Nick, I have to ask, were things…was I…if I…” I trailed off, turning my head away from his gaze. Damn, I was about ready to bare my soul because of those blue eyes. They had been my undoing the first go around, and well, being honest, they were still my undoing. Damn, sometimes, I was such a huge fool.

“Were you what?” His hand cupped my chin and pulled my eyes back to his. I swallowed, than tugged on my lip, trying to get the courage up to ask the question I have been thinking of since he uttered those horrible words over six months ago.

“Was I that horrible? Were things that bad?” Oh, any second I knew the tears would start to fall.

“No, Theresa, no matter what you think, it wasn’t like that. I saw the Theresa that I loved die, with no hope of coming back. And when you did, we lost that connection. I think, though, we’ll always have some connection.”

“Of course, there are those rugrats. Thank you.” I smiled, and leaned over, giving him a hug.

“It’s more than that.” His arms wrapped around me and I closed my eyes, savoring the feeling of being wrapped up in his arms one more time. His words echoed in my mind, and I just didn’t want to give that thought too much hope.

“What do you mean?” Damn it, was it possible he could hear my heart pounding? He pulled back slightly, his gaze still holding mine, his arms still wrapped around my waist.

“Some part of me will always wonder if I made the worst mistake by walking away from you.” Than his lips were on mine, not allowing my mind time to process that statement! It just couldn’t be true. No way! No flippin’ ass way! And before I had to time to enjoy it thoroughly, he pulled away. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean, I’m sorry.” Although, his eyes were anything but apologetic. I couldn’t take it, didn’t want to hear it, so I placed my finger on his lips and smiled, finally realizing that this was part of the whole seducing plan.

“Sweetie, no one’s here. I really don’t think another one would hurt, do you?” His lips were still uttering that it was wrong, yet his eyes always told the truth. Nick could lie, so long as he wasn’t staring anyone in the eye. I got closer and yet he shook his head. My lips brushed his and I could feel the shake through out his body. “Do you really want me to stop, sweetie?”

“Not really.” His lips crushed mine, a moan coming from deep within him. He loved Terri, he knew this, and yet, there was something about Theresa he couldn’t deny himself. He knew her, knew everything about her, knew what she liked, didn’t like. Knew how to kiss her to turn her on, how to kiss her to make her giggle, hell, even how to kiss her to make her moan. He was familiar with her, and that alone, was something that turned him on.

And how many nights have I craved his simple touch? To be him in his arms? To feel that loving embrace? How many lonely times had I wanted to feel his kisses, these kisses, to feel those lips? I knew it was wrong, on so many levels, but right now, we didn’t care. Or, maybe that was stated way too soon, for he pulled away, hearing the clearing of a voice. Nick turned, and I peeked around him, wanting to die. There was no lying on this, only prayers that she did not say anything.

“For now, I won’t say anything to anyone. But, let me state this, hurt my friend Nick, and I won’t be happy.”

“Thank you!” She nodded her head and walked away. But her thought kept running through my mind. Was the friend Leigh talking about, me, or Terri?