- Text Size +
Chapter 16

“My mommy is not a bitch! You are!” My jaw dropped as I looked down at Tamara before I glanced over at Nick, he’s eyes dancing with laughter.

“Why you little…”

“Woah, watch what you say there Terri.” I turned my back on her, grabbing Tamara’s arm. “And you, Tamara Elizabeth, are in so much trouble. Nick, let me take him, you need to talk.”

“I’ll be right there.” I gave him a questioning look yet all he did was shake his head. I walked over to my room, watching as LeighAnne gave Tamara a huge grin before closing the door.




Nick watched as Terri leaned against the door frame, her arms crossed over her chest.

“You can’t defend me against your ex-wife?”

“What you said was uncalled for Terri. Those kids only want to be with me.”

“So do I. We really haven’t ever gotten alone time. This was supposed to be that.”

“And I’m supposed to ignore my kids for you?”

“Not ignore. Just, not spend all your time with them.” Nick chuckled and shook his head.

“Let me give you an insight to my world. If you want to be with me like you claim, that life comes with not just fame, or recording, or touring. But it comes along with two kids, whom I adore mind you, and an ex-wife that I’d rather be friends with than enemies for the sake of those kids.”

“And it’s just for the sake of those kids?” Nick’s eyes narrowed on her.

“What are you getting at?”

“It’s obvious you still love her Nick!” Nick sighed, his fingers raking through his hair. He couldn’t lie and say he didn’t, because he did. Always would. But Terri wouldn’t understand that, and right now, he just didn’t even feel like explaining that to her. She was being bitchy, egging for a fight and he just didn’t have the strength to deal with that, or her, right now.

“Good night.”

“Aren’t you staying?”

“No. I have to talk to my little ones.”

“But…”

“Terri, good night. Lock it up if you want, right now, I don’t really care.” With that, he turned his back on her, walking down the hallway.





I opened the door, blushing as Nick did a once over on my attire.

“I haven’t changed from the pool yet. The kids are brushing their teeth, than they’ll be out.” I paused, watching as he sat down on the arm of the couch. “Look, Nick, I can take care of this. It’s obvious Terri is upset…”

“Terri’s not your concern right now.” I shrugged, knowing Nick was more than a little ticked off.

“You’re right, it’s not. But let me give you fair warning right now, Carter, if your anger towards her makes you a jackass to those two, you’re gonna have hell to pay and you won’t like it.” Nicks eyes glanced up at mine, a smile tugging at those oh to tempting lips. “What?”

“I never noticed how sexy you are when you get upset.” I rolled my eyes, walking over to shove him, but his hand caught my wrist and he dragged me down to sit on his lap. “You are.”

“You’re flattery is gonna go to my head.” He laughed, his head resting against my shoulder.

“My anger towards my girlfriend right now won’t affect my judgment on what we’re about to get told.” I watched as both brother and sister walked in, their heads bowed down. “Speaking of the two little devils.”

“Hey, Nick, they’re your devils.”

“I believe they get that whole thing from their mother and her Mexican side.”

“Blame that on me. Thanks.” He laughed as we both stood up, watching as they kids sat down on the couch. “Thomas, I’m asking you first, what happened tonight?” Thomas glared at Tamara before he turned to look at us.

“I shoved her.”

“Again?”

“Yes daddy.”

“Wanna explain why?”

“I was playing with Baylee, and she wouldn’t leave us alone. I even asked her, daddy. She still refused. She said girls can play ball better than boys can.” I closed my eyes, running my fingers through my hair. There was no doubt in my mind just where she got that idea from.

“Tamara, is this true?”

“Yes mommy.”

“Young lady, what have I told you about someone asking?”

“That I need to do it.”

“And yet you didn’t. That was not nice, Tamara.”

“You got in trouble!” Both Nick and I quickly glanced at Thomas, who stopped his singing.

“And you, young man, were already told not to shove your sister. So, for that, you’re grounded from the games for two days.”

“Mommy!”

“Thomas…”

“But…”

“Thomas Elijah, I know you are not back talking your mother!” He pouted but shook his head none the less. “Good, now you can get to bed.” He made a face but scooted off the couch, hugging both me and his dad before he made his way to his room. “And as for you, young lady.”

“I know, I need to listen.”

“Not just that. That stunt tonight, with calling Terri a…that name, was not good. First of all, you don’t speak like that!”

“Mommy, she called you one. Besides, I’ve heard you call her that before.” I kept my eyes glued on her, knowing that Nick shot at glance at me.

“You weren’t supposed to be around. None the less, you don’t call anyone that, ever. You are, by far, to young.”

“Not to mention, you need to respect her. You don’t have to like her, but respect her you will do.” That gave me a moment’s pause. He really wouldn’t speak that so passionately unless he really was planning on something happening, something permanent.

“You’ve been told Tamara; this is your first warning! So, unless your dad deems otherwise, I won’t punish you.”

“That’s not fair!”

“Thomas Elijah get that ass to bed unless you don’t wanna sit down for the next week!” I heard the gasp and than the slamming of his door. Nick shook his head before he turned to me.

“Kids!” He shook his head one more time before he turned his attention to his daughter. “I agree with your mother, you don’t need to be punished for that. But you will be punished for not doing what was asked for you.”

“Daddy, mommy is good at guy things. She plays ball, she protects, she has guns. Why can she show off?”

“Tamara, honey, I’m different. I’m older. And I don’t show off.” I sat down on the couch, placing my arm around her shoulders. “I’m not girlish, I love wearing pants, and tee shirts, and playing ball. And I love my job, I’ve known the owners forever, and I’m good at it. But I don’t brag about it and I don’t show off. I never think I’m better than a guy.” Well, a little white lie to my little girl sure wasn’t going to hurt. In the future, I’ll explain this whole thing all over again.

“I want to be like you. I don’t like skirts, or frilly stuff.” Inwardly, I groaned. This was my baby girl, I wanted to dress her up in things…I didn’t wear because I didn’t like it.

“Mija, mi princessa, you…” I trailed off, my gaze locking with Nicks and so many thoughts smashed into my mind. “You can be anything you want to be.” She nodded her head, and to be honest, I know she didn’t understand. She was five, what five year old really understood the depth of that statement? “But this will not excuse you. You’re grounded too missy. No video games for two days.”

“Mommy, that’s not…”

“Tamara Elizabeth, you better hush it. I’m not in the mood to listen to you, or your brother, whine right now.”

“I know. Good night.” She kissed my cheek and hugged Nick before heading off to her room, closing the door behind her. I ran my hand over my face before I walked over to the window, my eyes glancing out over the city.

“Like you?”

“There’s nothing wrong with me Nick. Who would you want her to look up, Terri? After all, Terri was your mistress! Great role model.”

“No, not Terri. LeighAnne…”

“Is not her mother.” I crossed my arms over my chest and turned to look at him. “What’s wrong with me? What fault do you have with me that you don’t want MY little girl to be like me?”

“She’s my baby girl and I’d rather she didn’t grow up being a tom boy!”

“Oh, right, a tom boy I might be, but I’ve always been one. You knew this; you fell in love with me and asked me to marry you! Don’t get pissed that’s what she wants to be!”

“Your right, you are one, why the hell do you think I wanted you to change? It wouldn’t have killed you to go out in a skirt! Wouldn’t have killed you to look a little sexy, would it? The tom boy phase only lasted to so long. Why the hell do think SHE turned my head to begin with?”