- Text Size +
Chapter 17

I closed my eyes, my fingers massaging my temples, the sunglasses not dulling out the light that still peeked through the window. I leaned my head back against the couch, my ears hearing the laughter coming from the back area of the bus. Currently, there was Nick, Brian, LeighAnne, the kids, me, and Aaron on one bus! Thank goodness the next town was only five hours away.

“You don’t look so hot.” I glanced up at him over the rim of my glasses. “Damn, you’re evil when you’re pissed.”

“I’m not pissed.”

“Bull shit, you’re not. You look like you could go on a killing spree, starting with mister high and mighty in the back there.”

“Well, if I was, believe me Aaron, your brother is at the top of my list.”

“Piss ya off again, I see.”

“When doesn’t he?”

“I don’t get it. You two are divorced, isn’t the fighting supposed to stop? Sheesh, you guys act like an old married couple.”

“Aaron, unless you wanna be first on that list, I suggest you drop the subject.” He leaned back, his hands raised to surrender.

“Remind me not to piss you off.” I couldn’t help but chuckle. Aaron, like his brother, did have a charming quality about him that always made me get over my anger.

“Deal. Hey, the other day, when you got here, you were talking about your mom. Aaron, what’s going on? Why is she asking you questions?”

“Sis, it’s not my place to tell.”

“How about I make it your place?”

“Violent much?” I glanced at him again and he threw a glance down the hall way, making sure no one was coming up. “Mom is…upset.”

“Over?”

“Nick being stupid. The day he told us about the divorce, he said he had a new girlfriend. Mom asked him what happened, but he never really said anything. She asked if he had cheated on you and he told us he had, but that he didn’t love you anymore and only wanted to be with Terri. Mom got upset, told him he was beyond stupid, that she loved you, and wouldn’t or couldn’t accept anyone else. That was the last time they spoke.”

“Jane’s never meet Terri?”

“Other than me and Angel, no one has. He won’t bring her home.”

“Don’t you find odd? I was at his house two weeks after we started dating.”

“Exactly. That’s why mom knows what’s going on with Terri won’t last.”

“Aaron, he’s already talked about marriage with her. I know you know that.”

“Theresa, you know him. How long were you two talking before he actually slipped a ring on your finger?”

“The day after we started talking, he went out and bought a ring.”

“My point. When Nick is serious about wanting something, he won’t delay getting it. Nick is a huge kid, he hasn’t changed in the six months you’ve all been split up, ya know?”

“I know.”

“This whole thing with Terri, no one knows or understands it. It just happened, and because he’s Nick, we just deal with it. But, believe me; he’s well aware of how we feel. That’s why he didn’t want me to tell you that night. He knew you would be pissed.”

“Confused, not pissed.” Aaron rolled his eyes before he gave me a look.

“Look, you changed, you got hotter, but inside, you’re still the same sister in law that I know and love. Don’t play me for the fool.” I shook my head and gave him a hug.

“Thanks Aaron, you know how to boost a girl’s ego.”

“You’ve, of all people, do not need me to do that. But you’re more than welcome.”




I watched as she pulled her dirty blonde hair up into a messy ponytail before she ran over to his door, both her and Thomas knocking rather loudly.

“Daddy, hurry up!” He opened it enough to peek his head through and glanced at the two at his door.

“What?”

“Hurry. Uncle Brian is almost done too.”

“So?”

“Daddy! Don’t be that way!”

“What way Thomas?”

“Nick, don’t tease them.” He laughed as he opened the door and ushered them through.

“So, you know that Terri, Leigh, D, and AJ are out shopping right?”

“Of course, with their bodyguards. Kevin and Kristen are out with James. And the rest of the crew is going to go and watch you and Bri try to play basketball.”

“Hey now girl, I heard that.” I turned to see Brian walking through the door with LeighAnne and Baylee right behind him.

“Glad you did. Because you all need help.”

“She thinks she’s a pro or something,” Nick said, shaking his head to show he thought I knew nothing.

“Yeah, whatever. Let’s go, I’m dying to see this.” As we passed through Nick’s door, LeighAnne grabbed my arm and dragged me out of ear shot of the group.
“What?”

“When did you pick up those shorts?”

“Um, the same time I picked up my pj’s. Why?”

“They’re short. And with those low tops, girl, they make your legs look good. See, this is what I was talking about. Being…” I cocked my head to the side and smiled. “Never mind. But, um, pay attention to Nick.”

“Why?”

“Just do it.” I rolled my eyes as I walked with her to the elevator.

“Fine, whatever.”




I leaned back on the bleachers, my elbows resting on the row behind me, one leg crossed over the other.

“When did you get into tattoos?” I turned my eyes away from the guys and over to LeighAnne.

“Shortly after Nick. He got his first one, dragged me to go get mine, and than from there, I was hooked. I got the majority, actually, when we divorced. AJ said I needed a way to take my mind off things and that was it.”

“Not a very good way.”

“Eh, I have a couple pieces I deem sexy enough that you can only see in the bedroom.” She laughed and slapped my arm.

“You’re just as bad as Nick.”

“Duh! I was never, shall we say, sweet and innocent when we hooked up. And than having AJ as my best friend, oh goodness that only made things worse.”

“He is a tad, sexual.” I busted out laughing, causing the guys turn to look in our direction. I waved them off and they went back to playing their game, although, it was sad to watch, for they both were out of shape.

“Is there anything going on between you two?”

“Who? Me and AJ?”

“Yeah?”

“No, there never was either.” I sighed, running my hand down my leg, my finger swirling around a certain tattoo and I looked down at it before I glanced at Nick, his eyes staring at something. He shook his head and went back to his game.

“That’s what I’m talking about.”

“What? Talking about what?” LeighAnne shook her head and sighed.

“Nothing. So, I’ve seen that tattoo on AJ.”

“He’s my best friend; he was the first person I really clicked with. I was so out of my league when I got the job, that I was quiet, almost shy. And AJ was the first one who spoke to me, guess he saw a kindred spirit. From that day forward, we’ve been forever close.” I paused, biting my lip, not noticing that pair of eyes on me once more. “Nick was never jealous of what AJ and I had. He accepted it, never had a problem. But now, now that he’s with her, he’s beyond jealous.”

“It’s because he still cares.”

“I know that LeighAnne.”

“No, Theresa, it’s because he still loves you. Men tend to think women belong to them and only them. Nick is no different. But, let me point this out to you. He may physically be with Terri, but the moment you stepped on that stage, she lost his heart, his love. He really only cares for you.”