- Text Size +
Chapter 18

I watched her walk down to the court, handing the guys a bottle of water. I shook my head, not wanting to believe what LeighAnne had just told me. It couldn’t be true. Nick walked out of my life; it was his decision, why would he second guess that now? And yes, I know I wanted him back, was willing to fight for it, but I guess I was just really hung up on the past, cause I just couldn’t believe he would feel that way. Why leave than? I sighed.

“Watch out!” I quickly snapped my mind back to reality, catching the flying ball before it could knock me upside the head.

“Hey, we can say over throw!” I got up and jumped down the bleachers, walking over to Nick. “That sucked.”

“I missed.”

“Nah, say it ain’t so!”

“And you think you’re all that?” I shrugged, tossing the ball at him.

“I ain’t sayin yes or no!” I turned as I heard the kids yell and than come running over.

“I want a game,” he said to me, before he picked up Tamara.

“Daddy, I want to play!”

“You do? Here.” He gave her the ball and walked her over to the net, lifting her up as high as he could so she could toss the ball in.

“Mommy, me next?” I glanced down at Thomas and smiled.

“Sure, than Baylee, if you want.”

“Yes. Uncle Nick is tall enough to do that!” I laughed even harder at the look Brian cast our way.

“B Rok, man, you know it’s true. I can’t help it that Nick is a giant!”

“I am not. Just tall,” he said, setting Tamara down and picking up both Thomas and Baylee.

“I’ll get the ball, daddy,” Tamara said as she ran over to the guys, catching the ball as it fell through and handing it back to Baylee.

“He’s a great dad.”

“That he is, Bri. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he’s still such a big kid.” Brian chuckled.

“Did he freak when you told him you were pregnant?”

“You know, you would think he would have. Meant he would have to grow up, but no, he didn’t. He loved the idea. And maybe it’s because we never really had to grow up. I mean, in a sense we did, but, I like to think we’re still huge kids. I love playing games with the kids, not just video games, but all games. Love taking them to park and playing around. Nick loves it too. I remember some of the best times was when you guys were off and we would just chill at home. There was actually a weekend where the TV was not on the whole time.”

“How did you manage that?”

“I’m not sure. The kids and Nick were building like this fort outside, and they did that all day Friday and half of Saturday. We even slept outside that night. It was great.”

“I’m sure. So, I can bet it’s killing them that they can’t do that all the time.” I glanced over at him and smiled.

“You can bet right. I’m not all too sure Nick knew what he left behind.” I paused and smiled at him. “And yet, I believe Terri was more than aware of every little thing she did and every little thing she destroyed.”




I quickly grabbed my phone, holding up my hand to stop Nick.

“Time out,” I mumbled as I opened the cell. “What up sexy man?”

“What are you doing later?”

“A victory dance for I’m going to beat Nick. Why?”

“Oh, was wondering if I could treat you out to dinner?”

“Sure. Wait, AJ, I can’t. I can’t just run out on the twins. I can’t keep pawning them off on other people.”

“Bring them along.”

“Are you sure?” He chuckled at that.

“Positive. Just, do you have something semi nice?” I made a face and than smiled.

“Yeah, I think I do. Okay, deal. Than we’ll talk when I get back.”

“Sweet. Catch ya than. Oh, and good luck. Nick needs to get his ass beat.” I laughed as I hung up and laid the phone down on the bench.

“AJ huh?”

“Yup. So, your ball, Carter.” He dribbled, stopped and took the shot, and over threw once more. I rolled my eyes as I went after it, throwing the ball at him.

“Okay, you see the net that’s attached to the rim honey? That’s where it’s supposed to go.”

“I think I know, after all, I’ve been playing this game a lot longer than you.” With that, he got the ball, and took another shot, this time not even making it close to the rim. He growled before glaring at me. “Well, have another go, hot shot,” he said, tossing the ball at me.

“Don’t get all annoyed that I’m better. Besides, you’re just out of practice,” I stated, shooting the ball and making it in without any problem. I turned and smiled at him, noticing his eyes were taking me in, a smirk tugging slightly on those delicious lips. Deep inside, I could feel those butterflies start to flutter, for that look was making me beyond hot. “And that’s how it’s done sexy,” I announced, tossing the ball back to him, snapping his mind back to the present time.

“Yeah, okay, fine, I’ll admit this time, you win. But I want a rematch ya know.” I shrugged, making my way over to the bleachers, grabbing two bottles of water. He followed, and glanced around, seeing no one around. “You know where the kids are?” I glanced over at him, laughing at his confused expression.

“Yes, I know. It’s a shame, you’re their father and you don’t know.” He gave me a mock glare. “Brian said something about ice cream, and you know the kids.” I shook my head, my hair falling around my shoulders. “He should know that kids and ice cream are things you do not put together.”

“Hell, if I had known he was buying ice cream, I would have gotten some too.” I laughed, quickly twisting the top of the bottle and taking a deep drink, feeling his eyes on me once more.

“Poor Nicky pooh. Sorry babe, I think you need to work on that pout just a tad more.” I bent down and handed him his water, raising my eyebrow as his eyes still seemed glued to me. “Okay, I give, what do you keep looking at?”

“Your legs,” he muttered, stopping directly in front of me, his hand grabbing the water, yet making no move to open it or set it down. “Those shorts look amazing on you. They make your legs, actually, look amazing.” I swallowed, trying to ease the pounding of my heart.

“Oh, um, they’re, I mean, the shorts are nothing special. And my legs haven’t changed. They are still the same ones you liked wrapped around…” I bite my lip, not being able to finish that sentence. I glanced up and into those oceans of blue, darker now with the fire burning there. Once more, his lips twitched, a smirk over taking his face and hot damn, the only thing I could think of was jumping on him, wrapping those legs he admired once more around his waist and having my way with him.

“I know, I recall. I just don’t recall them looking that damn good. Although, I must admit, you’ve always had great looking legs.” How did he me manage to turn me into jelly? Just because he uttered some more of those pretty words? His hands took my water bottle, and his, setting them back down again before capturing my gaze. He shook his head slightly, denying his thoughts, his feelings. Or maybe, not denying, just not wanting to believe. His hand rested upon my cheek, his thumb brushing over my lips. “I was so stupid.”

“What are you talking about?” His eyes searched mine, probing, asking, finding, all for what, I wasn’t sure. Wasn’t even aware if he was finding exactly what he was looking for.

“I screwed up, big time. I hurt you, Resa, asking for things I really had no right to ask for. I wanted you to change, to be a little more…” He stopped, shaking his head again. “I asked you to change and yet everything I wanted was there, is here.”

“Your right, I am here.” Oh hell, my skin was tingling from his touch; my lips were on fire, wanting to be caressed by his.

“Why can’t I take that step?” The question he was asking was too big for either of us to answer then and there. He was denying what he wanted and I was denying…no, I wasn’t denying. With that thought, knowing that once again, I was making the first move, I stepped closer to him, hoping that he would follow. His eyes held mine for a moment longer before his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me tightly against his body while his lips crushed mine. I moaned, quickly wrapping my arms around his neck, my fingers entangling within his hair, tugging slightly, enjoying the feeling of him pressing against me, enjoying the pounding of his heart as it beat against mine. His moan shot through my body, making me quiver and I could not believe the way he made me feel! And deep down, I was praying, wishing, even hoping he felt the same way! I could feel his hands roaming along my back, massaging what he could through the shirt. His tongue traced along my lower lip, seeking entrance and being granted. And if the kiss could explode even more, it did when his tongue caressed mine. I gasped, feeling it down to my toes, my nails scrapping along the back of his neck, demanding even more. His hands snaked under my shirt, caressing the skin he could find, setting me on fire even more.

“Mommy, daddy, Uncle Brian bought us ice cream.” I pulled away, still within Nick’s embrace, turning to see both the kids flying at us, questions burning not just in their eyes, but in the eyes of two adults walking our way.