- Text Size +
Chapter 21

He rested his head against the door, once more telling himself that this was the right thing, that he was making the right decision. He hated to admit that even though he felt he was making the right choice, it cut him to see AJ’s arm around her waist. He sighed, sliding his key into the reader, opening the door quietly, figuring Terri was probably lying down. Although, he stopped as he walked through the doors, seeing the candles, hearing the music. He smirked as he walked further into the room.

“My, my, my, just what do we have here?” His eyes raked over her body, enjoying the thin, black material that left very little to his imagination. Not that he didn’t recall every part of her body. Terri’s lips lifted into a pout, making him…well, actually turning him off. How the hell was that possible?

“I was hoping you’d be back earlier. I had a nice evening planned, with no kids, no ex’s, no one but me,” she walked over to him, her body pressing against his, her scent making him crazy, “and you.”

“I’m sorry. I got held up. You know, the kids and all.” Terri’s eyes narrowed briefly as she watched those lips.

“Just the kids?”

“Mmhmm. Should there be more?” Her finger reached out and swiped across the corner of his mouth.

“Since when did the kids start wearing lipstick?”

“They both got kisses from Theresa, and I kissed them afterwards.” ‘Oh geez, Carter, what a lame ass excuse! But, than again, you couldn’t tell her you’d kiss your ex, for the flippin second ass time, could you?’

“Nick, I maybe a lot of things, but stupid isn’t one of them! Why not just admit it to me that you love her, you’re trying to win back her heart?” Nick tried so hard not to cringe, for half of that was true! He still did love her, but no, he didn’t want her back. He only wanted Terri!

“Come on Terri,” Nick said, throwing his stuff on the couch, moving away from her. “I don’t love her! If I did love her, did still want her, why the hell would I start cheating with you?”

“Hell, it’s in the way you still look at her! The way you still act around her! It’s the way you stiffen up when she’s with AJ!” Terri threw her hands up in frustration, causing Nick to turn and look at her.

“I don’t love her!”

“Nick, really, don’t play me for a fool here. Guys cheat because they wives aren’t putting out anymore. I knew damn good and well what I got into. I knew what I was exactly when I came into your life, but I wanted you, and it was obvious you wanted me. The problem I’m facing now is I’m still thinking I’m only second best. I’m good enough to be your mistress, but never your wife.”

“You know that’s not true, Terri! I’m fighting not only my best friends, but my family to be with you! I love you Terri. Believe me, if I didn’t, honey, you would be long gone!”

“They why can’t you prove it? Why the hell is it so damn hard for you to buy me a ring? To set a damn date? Better yet, for me to meet your family?” Nick couldn’t stop the wincing of his face at that. It wasn’t his fault on that account, no one wanted to meet her. Aaron and Angel both didn’t like her, and that was saying something, because Angel loved just about anybody and everybody. And he was so grateful that it was dark enough that she couldn’t see that look, or the opening and closing of his mouth tons of times. He couldn’t buy her a ring, he wouldn’t set a date. No matter how much she begged or pleaded. And because he couldn’t tell her that, he had to take a different path to make her see.

“So, now I have to prove it to you? Am I always going to have to prove it when Theresa comes around? Because if I am, it’s gonna be one hell of a rough road!” Terri turned to him, a question burning in her eyes. “Let me explain it again, sweetie. Theresa will always be part of my life, our life. I can’t stop that, I can’t deny it, I can’t fight it. So, because she comes around, are you gonna demand proof that it’s only you I love?”

“No, Nick, I won’t. I know she’s going to be there, as much as I hate it! I know those kids mean the world to you.”

“They don’t to you?” Terri stopped the retort that was about ready to pass her lips. She did not need him anymore pissed off right now.

“They’re sweethearts, Nick, but they’re not mine. They’re yours, and because of that, I will cherish them.” Inside, Terri had to applaud herself for the lie she just uttered. And Nick saw it for the lie that it was. Terri sighed, walking over to him. “Baby, I just don’t wanna feel second best anymore. None of your friends like me.”

“Leigh does, and the rest of the guys do.”

“No, they tolerate me. And it’s because I’m not your wife.”

“Sweetie, you’ll never be second best,” Nick said, his arm wrapping around her waist and pulling her closer. “I know you don’t understand what I’m about to explain, but marriage right now, is just going to have to wait. But, do know I love you sweetie, only you.”

“I can’t pretend to understand the why Nick. But you haven’t lied to me, and I know you wouldn’t start now.” She wrapped her arms around his neck. “Please baby, don’t ever leave me.” Nick had to smile, for he had nothing to say. His lips pressed against hers, his body needing a release, and as horrible as it sounded, he prayed that she would be able to help him. He wasn’t turned on simply by her, but he couldn’t state that, hell, he wouldn’t want to state that. She moaned, her hands sliding into his hair, her body even tighter against his. And deep down, way, way deep down, he knew those kisses could not, would not, turn him on like another woman’s. And mentally, he groaned! He stood up off the couch, Terri backing away, slightly dazed. “What’s wrong baby?”

“Nothing.” He had to get her out of his mind, for good! With that, he picked Terri up, her arms sliding around his neck as he walked them to the bedroom, setting her down on the bed. “You know, I do need a shower.”

“True. After this, though,” her hand ran down his chest and caressed him, her lips smiling all at the more at the power she thought she had, “I’d say we’d both need one.”




He rolled out of the bed, gently removing her arm from around his waist. He stood by the bed, watching her sleeping form, her blonde hair all over his pillow, the sheet wrapped around her breasts, the pale skin a deep contrast to the blue sheets. In all fact, she was the complete opposite of Resa, and yet, his mind still didn’t leave her, Resa! Oh, Terri did turn him on, did drive him crazy, yet, he was only picturing if AJ and Theresa were doing the same thing, a few doors down. And sure, Theresa yelled at him when he tried…okay, when he did sleep with Terri and the kids were there. But, she’s only female, and once the kids are asleep, shouldn’t the adults be allowed to play?

Okay, this was just not working out like he wanted. He thought his mind and heart choose Terri, why was his mind still thinking about Theresa? He sighed and made his way into the bathroom, checking to make sure that Terri didn’t do what he thought. Although, as he glanced in the mirror, moving his head slightly, the bruise was there, right along his neck, for all the world, and that included Theresa, to see. Did Terri do that on purpose? Oh, you can bet your ass she did, and he knew that!