- Text Size +
Chapter 23

He sighed as he watched the retreating back, flinching as he heard the slamming of the door. He could see the anger burning in her eyes but he could also see the hurt. He shook his head as he entered his room, hearing her voice from the shower. He was half tempted to go talk to her, but instead, plopped down on the couch, throwing his arm over his eyes and trying to stop the pounding in his head. His jaw hurt, too, from the clinching he had done when he saw AJ walk out of the room. And yet, did he have a right to be pissed? So, she chose to get together with AJ, why the hell was that bothering him? Was it because it was AJ? Or was it simply because it was a man period? Yeah, real fair. He was allowed to have someone and be…sorta happy, but she wasn’t? He shook his head again, not understanding what the hell was going on with him. Maybe he needed to get away from her, maybe that would get his mind off of her. Although, he would come back to the tour and be facing her again. For now, she was there, wherever they went.
He heard the water turn off, heard her do some things for a few more minutes before she came out, full of smiles, and he hated that. Which, was something knew to him, actually. She blew him a kiss before heading over to the suitcase.

“Baby, Leigh called, said she needed another day at the spa, so I’m leaving with her, you don’t mind do you?”

“No, have fun!” Terri peeked her head through the doorway.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, just a late night.” Terri smirked, and Nick had to mentally roll his eyes, for he knew that made her think she was all that. And yeah, she was good, he couldn’t deny that, but maybe it was getting old. Maybe….maybe he better stop that train of thought. He closed his eyes, hoping sleep would claim him. Within moments though, he felt her sit on his stomach and he peeked his eye open. “Lookin’ nice for a day at the spa.”

“You know, girly stuff. Although, the skirt is new. You like?” She got off the couch and turned around. He did like it, it was just the right length, the right color, although, the only legs he could see were certainly a lot more tan than the pale ones he was looking at.

“Most totally.” With that, he grabbed her and brought her lips down to his, once more blocking Theresa out of his mind. And as Terri pulled away, she giggled, slapping his chest playfully.

“Keep that up, Carter, and I’ll have to cancel my day at the spa.” Nick smiled, kissed her one more time as the knock sounded, letting them know Leigh was there.

“Have fun sweetie.”

“Don’t miss me.” With that, Terri waved and walked out the door; leaving Nick alone with his thoughts, but really that was the last thing he wanted.

-----
He rolled over in his bed, his hand reaching for the phone, groaning as he realized he slept away the morning, although, that was good. He flipped his phone open, hit 2 on his speed dial, laughed at his stupid ring back tone and waited.

“What up man? I haven’t talked to you all day.”

“I know, I was sleeping.”

“You sleep too much man.”

“Yeah, yeah, get of my case. What are you up to today?”

“Well, Baylee was asking me and Leigh if we could go to McDonalds, than I don’t know. Wanna join us?”

“Yeah, that would be great. Just let me get changed here and I’ll be at you room in 15, cool?”

“Yup, see you than.” Brian hung up his phone and turned, seeing his wife look at him. “What?”

“You aren’t going to tell him that Theresa and the twins are going?”

“Should I have?”

“I think it might have been smart.”

“Let them both find out.” LeighAnne shook her head, smiling none the less.

“I think you’re the devil in disguise when you wanna be.” Brian smiled, grabbed his wife around her waist and pulled her against him.

“You know it. And don’t deny that you don’t like it.” She smiled as her lips pressed against his.

-----
I stepped out of the elevator, the kids holding on to my hand, surprised to see Nick resting casually along the wall. The kids saw him, smiled and ran over to meet him. He bent down on their level and swung one up in each arm. I walked over, slowly, trying to cover the pain up and praying no one noticed.

“What are you doing down here?”

“Brian invited us to McDonalds with him,” I answered, my eyes not quite meeting his.

“He did?”

“Yeah.” I nodded my head at that. “And you’re going too? Well, sorry, your bodyguards are all gone, so you’re stuck with me.”

“Not that that’s a problem,” AJ commented as he stepped over to us. He placed his hand on my waist, frowned and pulled away. “What’s that?”

“A safety precaution, if you will.” AJ’s eyes opened wide, and Nick had to laugh at that expression. “AJ, no worries. I’m trained, know what I’m doing.”

“I didn’t know you had a gun.”

“We, as in all of security, all do.” I shook my head, heard the ding of the elevator and watched as the trio stepped off and made their way over. “Wasn’t aware you invited the whole crew here.”

“Well, I didn’t.” I glanced at LeighAnne who only rolled her eyes.

“Right Brian. Just let me tell you, little man, I know you’re not the saint that everyone pegs you to be. I’ve been around you all way to damn long.” That caused everyone to chuckle as we made our way to the limo.

-----
“It’s our treat.”

“LeighAnne, your bill will be huge because of AJ and Nick, do you know that?”

“Girl, this is not the first time I’ve bought.” I laughed as we walked up and placed our order. “What are you getting?”

“Just a shake, I’m not hungry.” LeighAnne added that to the order before she looked at me.

“Yesterday you were almost all smiles. This morning, I noticed AJ leave your room. Wanna explain what happened in the last 12 hours?” She crossed her arms over the chest and looked at me. Luckily, there was no one else in line. I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

“Not really.”

“You’re not gonna get out of this so easily.”

“Did you happen to notice anything about Nick?”

“Other than he’s more of a grouch today?” I smiled, for I did agree. Even more so since he got laid. “I have a feeling you’re not referring to that?” I shook my head, grabbed the trays, grateful that the food was ready. “We’re not done.”

“I’m not discussing it in front of everyone else, either.” I set the trays down, glancing behind me as LeighAnne followed. I motioned for the kids to come over, the twins sitting between me and Nick.

“Daddy?”

“What Tamara?”

“What happened to your neck? It’s a funky color.”