- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know...I know...don't be hating me please!
Chapter 26

I walked into the lobby, my gaze turning towards the bar and seeing AJ in a booth. I frowned and made my way over.

“What some company, sexy?” His eyes turned from the window and he smiled, scooting over so I could sit next to him.

“You’re up late.”

“Got a phone call that I needed to head over to the arena, something was amiss.”

“It’s late, Theresa. I don’t like you being out this late.” At that, I laughed.

“AJ, security detail, I know what I do.”

“Very true. Ex wife of Nick, fans know this.”

“Oh, right. I could get mobbed.” AJ only rolled his eyes at that. “Did you forget I was the most beloved wife?”

“Amongst the most hated, because you were with Nick.”

“Yeah, whatever. What has you down here so late, without your bodyguard?”

“He’s around. I couldn’t sleep, so I came down here for a smoke and to soak in the atmosphere. I know it sounds weird, but the smell of the alcohol helps me. I don’t crave it anymore. Well, not as bad.”

“No, that’s great. I’m glad to see you’re doing well with that.”

“Well, it’s great to have the fans support too. Even if they don’t realize that.”

“You’d be surprised.” I bit my lip, wanting to ask him about his drug addiction, but I couldn’t.

“Who’s with the kids?”

“Surprisingly, Nick. I caught him before he went into their room.”

“You know, sweetheart, I’m sorry for what she did.”

“Age, don’t apologize for them. You’re not their keeper and their old enough. I guess what gets to me is how he allowed it.” I sighed, my hand twisting the napkin on the table. I reached for AJ’s soda and took a sip, which caused him to raise his eyebrow.

“Didn’t believe me?” I glanced at him, than at the glass and smiled.

“No, just needed something.” AJ chuckled and grabbed my hand. “Sometimes I look at Nick and see the old him, the one I feel in love with. Than I see this Nick, well, it’s more when she’s around, and I’m just like, I don’t like that. That’s not my Nick. It’s like, she’s changed him.”

“She has. And everyone can see it, and we’ve all told him. But…”

“He won’t listen. Nick can be stubborn, which is rather annoying. I recall a conversation I over heard with the kids one day, asking Nick why he didn’t come see them, he said because Terri really didn’t care for them. Do you know that broke my kids’ heart? I wanted to rip him to shreds, but I see this and know that she has a hold on him. Although, I do see it falling away.”

“That’s because you’re back in the picture. Whatever happens, you’re in his mind. Hmm, not sure I like that, though.”

“And why is that?”

“Because I love flirting with you. Not to mention kissing you. If Nick and I were fighting for your affection, who would you choose?” I shook my head, edging my way out of the seat.

“I’m not answering that question. You’re just evil, AJ. I think they pegged you right as the bad boy.” He laughed and followed me out of the booth.

“I won’t make you answer anyway. I know who you’d pick.”

“No you wouldn’t, so stuff it. But, I better go relieve Nick there.” He followed me into the elevator, allowing me to step out first and following me down the hallway.

“Theresa?” I paused before I slid my key in and turned to Alex. He stepped over to me, his fingers brushing down my arm. “You’ll be careful, right?” I looked into his eyes, seeing so many different scenes behind that question. I smiled and leaned over, my lips pressing against his cheek.

“You have my promise.” He smiled and turned to walk away.

“Oh, and good night Nick.” I stopped the smile as I turned around.

“Is that what you needed me for?”

“Would you keep your voice down? And no, it’s not. Something came up at the arena.” I took my jacket off, placing it on the couch, hearing that thud again.

“You go everywhere with that gun?”

“Yeah, it’s something we have to do. It’s our uniform, if you will, along with a two way radio at all times.” I ran my hands over my face, my hand releasing the pony tail holder, and sighing as that relieved some of the pressure. I rubbed my temples and took a seat on the couch.

“Turn around.”

“What?”

“Turn around.” I did as Nick commanded and felt his fingers gently start to massage my temples as he sat down behind me. “I don’t like you leaving this late at night to go to the arena by yourself.” I groaned.

“What?”

“I don’t want to hear that. What is it with men and trying to protect the female sex?”

“It’s how the Lord made us; you’re supposed to be weaker.”

“I am.”

“You can whoop AJ’, D’s, and Bri’s ass.”

“Yeah, I can. But, Nick, it’s my job.”

“Well, I don’t like your job if that’s the case.”

“No one does, but I have to do what I have to, to protect you all. I don’t need some crazy fan breaking in and mobbing you, or molesting you, or…whatever else those crazy fans tend to do. Look, really, I promise, it wasn’t anything serious. And Rick and Fernando were there. Not to mention I have my radio and gun at all times and know how to use them both pretty damn well.” He sighed, his fingers gently moving along my scalp, making me moan as he relieved the pressure of the building headache. “I forgot how good you were.”

“I do remember a lot of things; especially how bad your stress headaches were if you didn’t take care of them. So, what happened at the arena?”

”Nothing that I’m at liberty to discuss right now.”

“Oh, something not good.”

“Sweetie, if they call you in the middle of the night, it’s never good.” Without thinking about it, I leaned back against his chest, his hands leaving my hair and wrapping around my shoulders, holding me snuggly in his embrace. I closed my eyes, loving that feeling, and hating him at the same time. Ah, hell, who was I kidding? Nick could piss me off, annoy the shit out of me, but I don’t think I could ever hate him. And damn it, I didn’t want this to end, but I knew who was waiting for him. Inside, I wanted to die, but I had to get it over with. “Thank you for coming and staying with the kids.”

“It’s not a problem, you know that.” I could feel the tighting in his body. “I should go though. She’ll be up.” Damn, he couldn’t utter her name, didn’t want to break the spell he could feel rolling in between her and him.

“If you wish.” He bit his lip, knowing she couldn’t see the war raging in his eyes.

“I don’t want to go,” he barely whispered.

“I don’t want you to go.” I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and savored this for one more moment before I started to pull away. If Nick wanted anything to happen, for once, it was going to be on him. I wasn’t taking the first step. His grip tightened. I smiled as I glanced behind me. Damn, those eyes could really bare his soul if you knew how to see it. Without a pause, his head descended and his lips pressed gently against mine. I moaned, that being all the invitation he needed. He pulled away, but smiled as he saw my frown. He stood up, and offered me his hand, knowing there was no glancing back.