- Text Size +
Chapter 29

Nick groaned and threw his hands up in the air, not meaning to utter that, not even knowing if that was 100 percent the truth.

“Nick, chill out. Do you love Theresa?”

“In all truth, Howie, she was my first love. Do you really ever stop loving your first love?”

“No, you don’t. And Terri?”

“I love Terri. I know you all hate her, but she really is a great a woman, who cares for me and loves me. She’s smart, funny…”

“Please, don’t sing her praises to me. It’s obvious you care for Terri.”

“No, Howie, I just don’t care for her, I love her.”

“And yet you care for Theresa?”

“Theresa will always be part of my life, I know this, I can deal with this. I want to be her friend.” Nick paused, his eyes staring at the ground, really not seeing anything. “But, when she kissed J, I felt like I was kicked in the gut. I want her happy, I’m just not sure I can see that yet.”

“And yet it’s fair to her to flaunt your relationship with Terri?”

“I don’t do that. It’s Terri that does.” Howie glanced down at James, seeing the baby fast asleep. Figures, only a few moments outside of the hotel room and he was happy.

“Why did you sleep with Resa?” Nick shrugged. “Bull shit. You do know.”

“Before I filled for divorce, I asked a request of her, I wanted her to change. Nothing big, just some little things, and she didn’t do it. Yet, that day at practice, it was a whole new her. That Theresa is what I wanted. I wasn’t happy with the old her, that’s why I started the affair with Terri. And I hadn’t regretted it, until Theresa walked in.” He paused, not quite sure how to make Howie understand this next part. “I love what Theresa has become. I guess I had to try it, to see if it was still as good as it always was. Or because if it’s a new Resa, it would be better.”

“Was it?”

“In lots of different ways. But it was still the old her too, and that made it amazing. But this Theresa won’t last. I know my ex-wife, and I can’t go back to the way she used to be.”

“So, you won’t go back with Theresa?”

“No. There are too many walls to over come, to many bridges that have been burned for me to go back, even if I wanted.”

“Than your choice is Terri?”

“Yes.” Howie tried his hardest not to smile. Oh, it wasn’t that Howie was happy he chose Terri. He sided with the other guys, he thought Terri was a horrible woman, that she was only using Nick, and in all truth, Howie felt Nick really did belong with his wife and there was nothing truly stopping either one of them, but pure ego. But, he saw the truth in Nick’s eyes. Howie just prayed that Nick realized it before it was too late. He knew Nick, knew Theresa, and though Theresa loved Nick, she wouldn’t wait forever.


Nick paused before he slid his card in, hoping she was fast asleep. He quietly opened the door, seeing and hearing nothing. He frowned as he went further in, surprised not to see her. Though, he didn’t know if that was a blessing or not. He made his way to the shower, figuring he better remove what was left, just incase Terri came walking through that door. After a few minutes, he shut the water off, hearing the door close to the room.

“Baby?” Nick glanced up as Terri popped her head in.

“Where were you, babe?”

“I’m sorry Nick, I feel asleep in Leigh’s room. D had fallen fast asleep and James just couldn’t sleep. We all crashed in the living room. You’re up late?”

“Oh, yeah, I just got in myself.”

“Everything okay?”

“Resa needed me to watch the kids, something she had to do.” Terri only nodded her head, no questions whatsoever being flung in his direction.

“Okay baby. I’m climbing into bed, a busy day today.” Terri gave him a quick kiss before she made her way to her suitcase. At that, Nick frowned, for he knew she lied. She wasn’t in D’s room. So, where than, exactly, had she been these last couple of hours?

-----
I pushed the sun glasses down over my eyes, grabbed my phone and gun, shoving both in my pockets. I grabbed my jacket on the way out, ushering the two little hellion’s out the door.

“Stop shoving me, Thomas!”

“Make me, Tamara!”

“I’m telling mom!”

“I’m telling Dad!”

“Would you two knock it off? I’m right here and I’ll smack the both of you! Now, chill!” They both grew silent, two little hands reaching out for the other one, finding comfort with each other. I sighed, not meaning to come off bitchy, but I was tired, pissed off, and very irritable, all in thanks to Mr. Jackass! “I’m sorry guys. But there’s no reason to egg each other on there. Thomas, you don’t need to shove Tamara, and I saw you young man. And you do not need to stick you tongue out, Tamara. Nor do you need to be a tattle tale!”

“But mommy!”

“Zip it! I am not in the mood today!” They both pouted at that.

“Mommy?” Inside, I sighed. My head was beyond pounding, my eyes were red and sore from crying and the last thing I needed was for them just being them. And I know that sounds horrible! I love my kids, love everything about them, but sometimes, they acted way to much like a very immature Nick!

“Yeah baby?”

“I’m sorry.” I glanced down at Tamara, saw her lip sticking out slightly and had to chuckle.

“You remind me way to much of your dad. It’s okay baby. I’m just not feeling very well, so, please, you two behave for me, okay?”

“We promise mommy.” I pulled them into a hug.

“Ain’t that sweet?” I glanced up over the rim of my glasses and smiled at Kevin.

“Well, hello Mr. Richardson.”

“Pulling an AJ today?”

“If it dulls the pain, sure.” He frowned at that, but he couldn’t ask anything. The elevators dinged and we all climbed in, making our way down the lobby.

“You okay?” I shrugged before I turned to him and smiled.

“I’ll be fine. This isn’t anything, believe me.” As the elevator doors opened, the twins rushed out, but Kevin’s hand stopped me from following.

“Resa, know I’m here.”

“I know, Kev. You’re my big brother; I’ll always come to you if someone needs their ass kicked.”

“Oh, you’re talking about blondie’s ass, huh?” I had to laugh, it just couldn’t be helped. Me and Nick were divorced, how was that everyone knew what my problem was? We weren’t supposed to be connected anymore!

“Come on, I gotta get you down to the arena, or I’m in some huge ass trouble!”

-----
I leaned against the wall, watching as the boys went into the dressing rooms, surprised to see AJ go into that first room! I knew those were his shades that I found next to the bag of drugs, but I couldn’t believe he would be doing that stupid shit again. Sure, it wasn’t anything huge, but damn it, it was a start. Even small things can led to big things. I closed my eyes, running my fingers through my hair.

“You don’t look good.” I turned, seeing nothing but concern in her eyes.

“I don’t feel good LeighAnne.”

“You gonna be okay?” I shrugged, all kinds of thoughts rolling through my mind.

“I just…I need some air. I hate to ask, but will…”

“Go, they’ll be fine.” I walked down the hallway and pushed the door open, my lungs inhaling all they could stand. I leaned against the brick wall, grateful that it was a cool night. I shifted, hearing some people talk and glanced to my right, seeing Terri talking to one of the stage hands. That was odd, for I wasn’t aware that she really associated with anyone outside of the guys and their families?