- Text Size +
Chapter 31

“What the hell were you thinking?”

“I thought they would get a kick out of it. And they did, chill out.”

“Don’t tell me that shit, Carter! I told you I didn’t want you to do that anymore!”

“Terri, it just gets them more hyped up. It means nothing!”

“I don’t give a shit what it means or what it doesn’t mean. I don’t want them to see what my boyfriend is like!”

“You know, that’s really damn funny to me!”

“Why?”

“That’s the only reason you told me not to do it? Because you didn’t want MY FANS, OUR FANS, to possibly see what we might just be like? LeighAnne told Brian he needed to be like that, Leigh did the same. Kristen, well, she already told Kevin he had to do that.”

“What is your point? I don’t give two shits what those other women told their husbands! You’re my man, you do as I say!”

“No, I don’t. I’m your boyfriend Terri, not your damn slave that you can order about! If my fans want that, I will gladly give it. I can’t believe I even stopped!”

“I’m serious Nick, don’t do it! I’m not the type of person you wanna piss off!”

“Terri, give it up! You’re not going to win this time around. I can read what my fans write, what they like, don’t like, what they miss. They hate that I don’t tease them anymore! Besides, it’s not like I’m going to sleep with them, now is it?”

“Way wrong answer!”

“Shut it, already. You’re not changing my mind. Get over it!”

“I don’t have to get over shit! You’re just not doing it!” I stopped outside the door, not wanting to ease drop, but they were making it pretty damn hard not to hear.

“You can’t stop me. You’re not on that stage! Theresa used to get a kick out of it. In fact, she would always tell me she would picture that it was a private concert. It actually would turn her on!” Terri’s eyes narrowed at that, hating that he was always bringing up that name!

“You should thank your lucky stars that I am not like that bitch! After all, you cheated on her with me, remember?”

“Don’t I ever! Maybe I shouldn’t have.” The slap could be heard way past the open door. AJ popped his head open, glancing over at the open doorway. I shrugged, turned back in time to see Terri run out, shoving me against the wall as she stormed past. I watched the retreating back, knowing that Nick was now at the doorway. “Did you get all that?”

“Don’t take your anger out on me. Next time you pick a fight with your girlfriend; don’t leave your doors wide open.”

“Thanks for the advice. What can I do for you?”

“Your kids wanted to know if you wanted to play a game when you got back to the hotel.”

“Where are they?”

“They left with LeighAnne and Baylee a little bit ago. Nick, she sliced your cheek!” Nick’s fingers pressed against the cut and shrugged.

“No big deal. Yeah, I’ll stop by your room, that okay?” No, that wasn’t okay, not in the least. After all, wasn’t he there last night? Not that I was going to allow that to happen again, on any level.

“Yeah, that’s fine, why wouldn’t it be?” Nick shrugged again, yet he turned in walk back into his room. I closed my eyes, and shook my head, making my way out to the limo that would take us back to the hotel, seeing the cloud roll in and the thunder start to rumble. Storms were my favorite past time, yet, this one would suck, for what I love to during storms just wasn’t going to happen.

-----
I ran a brush through my hair, walking towards the door, hearing the kids start to shout. I rolled my eyes as I smiled at Nick.

“What’s that for?”

“You’re kids are too excited that you’re here. Go ahead and have a seat.”

“Where you going?”

“To finish getting ready for bed. I still need to brush my teeth, take my make up off.”

“Put pj’s on.” I frowned as I took in my attire.

“Don’t you recall that movie night? These are my pj’s. Excuse me.” I smirked as I saw him shake his head and plop down on the couch.

“Daddy!” Tamara ran over to him and climbed on his lap, her arms snaking around his neck and giving him a hug. “I’ve missed you.”

“Sweetie, you just saw me.”

“But when you’re working, it’s not the same.” Tamara pouted, which reminded Nick of himself.

“Your mom is right; you are way too much like me.” Nick ran his hand over her ponytail and frowned. “Want me to braid your hair?”

“Oh, daddy, will you before we play? I like how you do it!”

“Yeah sweetie, go get me the brush.” She quickly jumped down from his lap and ran into her room, almost knocking Thomas over in the process.

“Daddy!” Thomas climbed on the couch next to his dad.

“Hey there little man. You’re being good and protecting mommy and your sister, right?”

“Uh-huh. You gave me that very important job to do!”

“Well, you are a brave young man.”

“Here daddy.” Tamara sat down between her dad’s legs, her hair down, waiting for her father to start brushing her hair.

“Daddy, why are we blonde and mommy isn’t?” I leaned against the wall, taking in the scene, my heart aching. Nick was one hell of a father, and I knew those kids adored him. He had the chance to be with them all the time, yet he kept stepping away from it. In most cases, I wouldn’t want anything to do with a man who used me like he had, and on a personal level, I was furious with him. But I wouldn’t take that out on those kids. So, I had to suck up my feelings for him and let them enjoy tonight. Try and pretend that we were all happy.

“Because mommy is half Mexican little man.”

“But she doesn’t look it.”

“That’s because I’m half white too. And for your next question, you take after your father. His hair, his eyes, his manners. Other than the chubbiness
of those cute cheeks, you look nothing like me.” I sat down next to Thomas and he climbed on my lap, one arm hooking around my neck.

“How do I know you’re my mommy?” I busted out laughing, Nick joining me.

“Little man, mommy was in a lot of pain with you and your sister for many hours. I know, I was there. I watched the two most precious things to me come into this world.” I swallowed rather hard. Damn him, how dare he be sweet!

“Okay, enough questions. Go put on the game.” My eyes strayed outside, seeing the brightness of the lighting, knowing the crack of thunder was about to hit and both kids would be scrabbling for safety. I counted and sure enough, three seconds later, both kids screamed as the thunder echoed in the room. I glanced at Nick, who only smiled and tugged Tamara on his lap, Thomas quickly running to his side. I stood up, walking to the window.

“Oh no you don’t, get away from there.” I waved my hand at Nick.

“I’m a big girl, thank you.” I pushed the shades away, watching as another bolt raced across the sky, and than pure blackness in the room.