- Text Size +
Chapter 32

“What happened daddy?” I heard the tremor in her voice and felt bad.

“I think we lost power baby.” I let my eyes get accustomed before I walked back over to the couch.

“Will you stay here will I go downstairs and check with the lobby staff, see if they might have a power generator?”

“Yeah.” I grabbed my phone and my key card, making my way towards the door. “Hold up, you need to change.”

“Sorry, Mr. Carter, I don’t have to listen.” I knew I was getting that death look, but right now, I just didn’t care. No power, meant no ac in the building, and that was not a good thing on any level. I also knew those kids wouldn’t be able to play, even with a back up generator.

-----
“Where’s Nick?”

“With his kids.” Terri rolled her eyes as she sat down next to Leigh.

“You’re not upset by that, are you?”

“No. I know he loves his kids, and I’m happy he gets to spend time with him. I’m just pissed off at him.”

“And Resa?”

“He had the nerve to compare her to me! Does that make sense?”

“Terri, Nick loves you!”

“No, he doesn’t.”

“Girl, D sorta talked to me. Sure, Nick will love her, that was his wife. And yeah, she’s gonna be a part of his life for the rest of it, but it’s you he wants, you who has his heart now. Let the past be the past, hmm?” Terri sighed.

“Do you think Resa will stay the same?”

“Not even. Resa does not have in her to change. I’ve known her too long, she was comfortable with herself. She won’t change for any man. And if she did, to try and win him back, believe me, it won’t last. Really, don’t second guess yourself. You just need to prove to Nick you love him and that he’s making the right choice.” Leigh took a sip of her soda, curling her legs underneath her. “If it was me, I might even say something to Theresa about her being around Nick.”

“Leigh, I can’t!”

“You have every right to fight for your man, don’t you?” Terri had to admit that Leigh had a point. Nick was hers; she was willing to fight for him. She loved him, regardless of what others might claim. It only proved they didn’t know her.

“Thanks Leigh. You have no idea how grateful I am that I have a friend.”

“You always will.” Terri gave Leigh a hug, heading back to her room when the lights shut off down the hall way.

-----
I opened the door, seeing no one in their room. I went over to the AC unit and turned it on low. Not that I wanted to be nice to her, but I figured this would at least them know they wouldn’t fry for the final night in the room. I turned around, surprised to see Terri there. SHIT!

“Hi.” Terri’s eyes opened wide.

“Hi.” Ever thing that Leigh had mentioned came flooding back. She did need to confront Resa, for she did not like how Nick was acting, or didn’t like the road that Nick was starting to take, and she could, and would lay the blame at Resa’s feet.

“The hotel is on a back up generator, which only gives enough power to run the ac on low, so I figured I would turn it on.”

“Thank you, you’re so kind.” Hmm, someone sure seemed pissed off.

“Is something wrong, Terri?”

“Oh, let me think. Nope. At least nothing that a gun wouldn’t take care of.”

“That’s a little…vicious, I suppose. Someone you don’t like?” I knew it was the wrong thing to say, and I really hated egging her on, but damn it, she just needed to grow up. She acted worse than Nick, and that was saying something!

“Yeah, you. And it would be your ass I would be getting rid of, if I thought for one second I could get away with it.”

“Me? I know we have had issues, but what the hell have I done that would warrant you killing me?” I had to stifle the laugh as I heard the growl in her throat. Oh, I was more than positive no one ever saw the pissed off side of Terri.

“What the hell haven’t you done? You were married to him, had your chance, and you blew it. Now, you want him back, and yet he won’t give in!” Hell, if she only knew. Well, not really…I mean, never mind. “Just leave him alone already!”

“Excuse me?”

“I said, back off!”

“Listen here, little miss hoe, you, with your skanky ass and your slutty clothes, came in and slept with MY husband. It’s certainly not my fault if he’s finding that hoeish look less and less attractive.”

“Well, let’s just say that if you could have pleased him in the first place, I wouldn’t have come and turned his head. Not my fault he wasn’t happy than.”

“And it’s sure as hell isn’t my fault that he’s not happy now. Because it sure looks like to me like you’re not pleasing him anymore!” I saw the wild look in her eye, more than heard that growl, but did not have time to brace myself for the slap that landed on my cheek! My hand covered the spot, more than stunned she would do that.